Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking: 'Big Bang did not need God'

Saru

Dear Katzenking: physicians are medical people. What you are talking about are physicists. It does kinda weaken your argument when you make mistakes like that.

Medical people? Interesting...Good point anyway. Thanks for that, I will need it. My mother tongue is germish, uh german, or rather a weird dialect of it. Location: Black Forest, zee? In Southwest-Germany, highly recommended for holidays. A mystical place indeed.

"Science isn't doing what I want it to do, therefore it is stupid" is shorter and conveys the same message of ignorance.

Well not really, or may be a little. Of course I think they should do more research in that direction. Some of them claim that they do (just this week I watched a report on TV). But it is by far not sponsored enough, though it could become vital very soon. Mr Hawking would probably agree.

On other areas I appreciate scientific work very much.

Since when has Stephen Hawking become the god of 'all knowing'? Why do we gasp & listen to a mere human like us that appears to have superior knowledge over all? Of course we all know that he has been suffering a debilitating disease for many years & is still a survivor,but also,he has made statements before, supporting God,& much later,taking it back.It also demonstrates his mental faculties could be in somewhat of a disarray,sorry to say.The ability to study & explore physics in depth does not make the individual a superior thinker. Just like in world politics & some religious cults,the followers are blinded by a player playing a game that makes his thoughts appear above & superior,governing the sensibilities & logic of the numbers. It's his theories,like many others.Explore your own theoretical evaluations.Think for yourself about the whole big picture.Make your own theoretical thoughts about life,it's beginning,God,the universe etc.Discuss it with your friends & see what they think.It would be so entertaining to hear what everyone else thinks & theorizes about.In the end,it's all theory.In all,none of us has the ability to prove it in all practicality.We also were not there!Only God was.Think about the emptiness & nothingness before the theorized big bang..Daunting isn't it?! But,all this is in regards to a material physical existence.The material creation of atoms,molecules & a physical realm.So,before the theorized big bang,was only what we would & could have theorized as a spiritual realm. Different dimensions that we also have yet to explore & study.And how do we do that?Only God knows.

No disrespect to Mr.Hawkin, but I think sometimes he talks a load of Moo Poo,the thing is people tend to give him the benefit of the doubt and believe all he says,which proves them gullible.Unfortunately he is unable to do much other than think up various theories.

Science is overrated and (ab)used to make money like everything else in this 'modern times'.

And so is God and religion.

• Like 2

Here we go again. It still doesn't explain who created the membranes or branes. You said as if the branes existed before the BB and have a living activity and physic interactions. Instead of inventing another thing to explain the birth of the BB to fill the empty answer, how about inventing the thing that created everything, including the membranes

Why does it have to be a WHO? I would restate this question as how did the membranes or branes come to be?

Maybe they have always existed ad infinitum, maybe nature as we zoom farther and farther out, unimaginably far out, is actually fractal (evidence does not support this) and our universe really is just a quark in a higher existence on the ass of some higher dimensional camel? You can't disprove it so it must be true!!! (religious logic)

• Like 1

Which god are we talking about? Everyone swears their god is the real god, anyone who argues for this "GOD" need to be more specific. ZEUS WILL PUNISH YOU ALL LMAO

• Like 3

Maybe they have always existed ad infinitum,...

If the membranes can always be existed, so does God (no evidence support)

It's not a fact in science whatsoever. The clue is in the title: The Big Bang Theory. Big Bang...God...Neither is any more credible or scientifically proven than the other, as it stands.

Rlyeh wasn't saying anything about 'facts'. He was talking about evidence. You should really understand what the term "theory" means before writing what you did. You're using the word in it's general, everyday regard. When science talks about theories, it means something different.

• Like 4

If the membranes can always be existed, so does God (no evidence support)

Exactly my point. Thank you. However M-Theory does have one thing that God does not have, mathematics backing it up.

The big bang theory has tons of evidence to back it up. It's just that in science the bar is VERY high for anything to be considered fact. If the rigorous rules of science are applied to the existence of God, it would hardly if even make it to 'Theory' because of the lack of any objective evidence. All evidence for God is subjective, meaning that you might see one thing as evidence for God, I might see that same thing differently. Objectively we know from numerous careful and precise measurements that the universe is expanding, this is a known fact- there is no better explanation that has been put forth to explain the observations besides expansion, if you can think of one, then you could re-write cosmology and go down in history for your great achievement. Logically then if you rewind time everything likely expanded from a common point. This is not the only evidence for the big bang. Mathematical evidence exists for it as well.

Notice the terms science uses and remember the difference between science speak and religious speak Science will use terms such as "likely" "probably" "perhaps" "maybe" "all evidence suggests". Religion will not use these terms, they will not say that God likely told Abraham to kill his only son, no they will say God DID tell Abraham to kill his son. They state it as being true and do not leave it open for questioning. Science does not have this luxury. I will not say that M-Theory IS true, I will say that it is possible that M-theory is true. You say God DID it, you do not say that God most likely did it. Who here is closing off their mind and disregarding anything that does not jive with their own belief?

Edited by Einsteinium
  • Like 1

The stars & planets are moving outward to an ever expanding universe.The Bible tells us about the times & predictions according to the positions of the stars.God warns us about many things and created a calendar that reflected the very positioning of the heavens.

Big Bang theory has about as much evidence of existence as God.

At least the world doesn't suffer daily worshiping the big bang theory.

• Like 4

I have long wondered what is meant by "worship."When I go to Temple I prostrate myself before the statue of the Buddha there, as do most visitors, and go through the little rituals of lighting joss sticks and putting them in the sand. I do the same before the picture of my parents in my home. I would call these acts "honor" rather than "worship." Both the Buddha and my parents are dead.

• Like 4

The stars & planets are moving outward to an ever expanding universe.The Bible tells us about the times & predictions according to the positions of the stars.God warns us about many things and created a calendar that reflected the very positioning of the heavens.

Well, no, nothing is "moving outward." Space is expanding and carrying galaxies beyond a certain distance away from us, but they are not "moving" as though propelled by some force. Closer in, galaxies and stars and planets are not going outward even because of the expansion of space, as local gravity overcomes this.

It's not a fact in science whatsoever. The clue is in the title: The Big Bang Theory. Big Bang...God...Neither is any more credible or scientifically proven than the other, as it stands.

Way to completely misread my post. There exists no scientific evidence for God. That is a fact.

Anyway you need to educate yourself what a theory is in the scientific context. Perhaps I can give you a clue, a theory has been verified and supported with evidence.

I have long wondered what is meant by "worship."When I go to Temple I prostrate myself before the statue of the Buddha there, as do most visitors, and go through the little rituals of lighting joss sticks and putting them in the sand. I do the same before the picture of my parents in my home. I would call these acts "honor" rather than "worship." Both the Buddha and my parents are dead.

Hey Frank,

In my eyes, Buddhism is an incredibly respectful way of thinking, I do not consider it a religion.

Philosophies and ideals are founded, religion not so much.

Of course, respect to you and your parents.

Please do not ever take my posts as attacking, I would not mean it that way.

• Like 2

Stephen Hawking spoke about the formation of the cosmos to a packed house at Caltech on Tuesday.

An ideological stance from a man in a wheelchair?

• Like 1

Wrong. Ask those who go to the church. Ask them if they feel happy, relief or they feel pain and suffer while praying.

Wrong. Ask those who go to the church. Ask them if they feel happy, relief or they feel pain and suffer while praying.

I'd prefer to be a good person because I'm a good person.

Being good because of fear? Do explain.

Lo

Lots of people who believe in karma (Buddhists, Hindus, etc.) "do good things" because they gain merit from it and superstitiously think this brings good luck. The opposite -- refraining from sin -- has the opposite karmic effect and brings bad luck and may even result in a rebirth as someone blind or crippled.

People pray to God not because of fear. They seek for guidance and comfort and the bless.

Yes, people fear for having bad luck, for having accident, for having deceased family member. So? Is wrong to hope for comfort? Or life is just about having money, buy life assurance?

Edited by FlyingAngel

He was there at the beginning of time.He created man in his own image.Man was created in God's image.

if god made man in his image, then the almighty must be small.

with a poor imagination.

and an ape.

• Like 2

if god made man in his image, then the almighty must be small.

with a poor imagination.

and an ape.

So you say poor imagination. You must know a better solution and imagination. Enlighten me

So you say poor imagination. You must know a better solution and imagination. Enlighten me

The most important thing I would expect from Physicians is a discovery of how to overcome gravity (antigrav) and to make it possible for humans (or at least robots) to survive accelerations in order to get (at least) close to lightspeed.

you're expecting a helluva lot from a bloody DOCTOR my friend.....

(p.s, just read your later post about english not being your first language, so no hard feeling eh? as your english is a helluva lot better than my german!!)

:-)

Edited by shrooma

I always interpreted that passage as meaning man has free will and intellect and self-awareness.

The most important thing I would expect from Physicians is a discovery of how to overcome gravity (antigrav) and to make it possible for humans (or at least robots) to survive accelerations in order to get (at least) close to lightspeed.

you're expecting a helluva lot from a bloody DOCTOR my friend.....

the big bang theory has EVIDENCE which at least points to the fact that there is some truth behind it, whereas god (which one by the way, there seems to be a lot of them, so you'll have to be a bit more specific.) has NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER to support him.

faith ISN'T evidence.

measurable, quantifiable facts IS.

• Like 1