Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oldest European Medieval Cookbook Found

Keel M.

A 12th-century manuscript contains the oldest known European Medieval food recipes, according to new research.

The recipes, which include both food and medical ointment concoctions, were compiled and written in Latin. Someone jotted them down at Durham Cathedral’s monastery in the year 1140.

It was essentially a health book, so the meals were meant to improve a person’s health or to cure certain afflictions. The other earliest known such recipes dated to 1290.

Full story

Apparently they are to be used at an event soon:

Medieval recipes unearthed in Durham manuscript to be tasted once again

• Like 2

Cool stuff - conjures up images of burly men eating whole chickens without utensils lol

• Like 3

Wouldn't mind tasting those recipes to see how they compare to what we eat today.

• Like 3

Oh, wow, this is pretty awesome. I've had the luck to try my hand at a few medieval recipes, so I'm curious as to what these are for. I'm anxious for a full translation, as my medieval latin is abysmal, but if there is one, it'll probably be going on my shelf.

Really, medieval food wasn't that bad. :tu:

EDIT: Left out a word.

Edited by draugr

The article doesn't state just when this MS was discovered, but I have, in my files, 12th Century recipes from the London and Canterbury areas, so where this 'earliest' tag comes from, I'm not sure.

• Like 1

From the second story:

The re-examination of a Latin manuscript, written in the Priory of Durham Cathedral around 1140, revealed several food recipes hidden among instructions for medical ointments and cures. The recipes predate the previous oldest examples by 150 years.
  • Like 1

OK, got it now Kasey Thnx!

So your info and their info jive. I think the bigger story is that they're going to test the recipes. I think this would be an awesome addition to a history class. I remember when I took an English history class in college the professor had us over to her house for lunch one day and she cooked roast and veggies for us.