Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Marriage Equality' Includes Polygamy'

tapirmusic

I guess views on what is 'moral' change.. and laws follow? I'm not sure that laws, and traditions, defining and restricting marriage have been entirely good for human society? Probably good for the most part?

.. but these things, through the application of human nature, have a way of working themselves out ? Is cow marrying likely to become widespread without laws to prohibit it? ..and how many rational men actually want more than one wife!?

Only about halfway.

There are cutures today where parents m********e their children to stop their crying.

Harte

If you honestly think legalizing gay marriage is a slippery slope to people marrying animals I don't know what to say: other than you'd be an idiot and I've lost lots of respect for you.

• Like 1

I don't have any problems with polygamy per se, as long as All parties come to a complete understanding and are in complete agreement on all issues.....and that they are not on any kind of public assistance, or at least the kind that is abusing the system like the FLDS does.

The one problem with the FLDS that stands out with me is that some men have ten to twenty wives. Usually older men taking brides that are still teenagers (some under the age of eighteen).

When one man has that many wives, the younger men are often forced out of their communities because there aren't enough available young women for them. Most people want to get married, but if all of the young women are already taken by these elder members of the church, it doesn't leave much in the way of options for these younger men. It might be different if the ratio of boys to girls was very disproportionate leaning heavily towards more baby girls being born than males......but it's not. This is my one big problem with polygamy......

Edited by Euphorbia
  • Like 2

Gee we get it some of you don't like gays, but to use polygamy as the big "slippery slope" argument is weak. If CONSENTING ADULTS (not sure what part of this some of you have a difficult time understanding) want to be in a polygamous marriage fine with me. If they want to have three husbands and eight wives, as long as any resulting kids are well taken care of and not abused, so what? Do you want every relationship decision and sexual act you've ever done with another adult given public access and debate? I highly doubt it. IF an act includes anyone or anything that cannot give consent, be it an adult in an incapacitated state, or an animal or whatever then you bet that person should face legal actions, if someone or something can't consent it's rape. However if they are an adult and said yes and nothing else illegal went down (physical harm) then that is private. If they are harmed in anyway they didn't agree to then sure they can face jail time and should. But if they consent and it's between two people who can make their own decisions then it is none of yours, or my business.

Marriage is not sacrosanct as much as some would like to argue, given that heterosexual marriages end in divorce over 50% of the time, that Britney Spears can have a 55 hour marriage annulled, that Kim Kardashian can basically marry for profit and publicity and all of those are legal marriages. The whole "definition" of marriage is invalid simply because the definition has always changed, marriage between a man and woman used to in the past required dowry, land transfers and you couldn't marry someone of another race, religion or class without public outcry or going to jail. Times change, if you don't like it, don't marry more than one person.

Edited by darkmoonlady

Gee we get it some of you don't like gays, but to use polygamy as the big "slippery slope" argument is weak. If CONSENTING ADULTS (not sure what part of this some of you have a difficult time understanding) want to be in a polygamous marriage fine with me. If they want to have three husbands and eight wives, as long as any resulting kids are well taken care of and not abused, so what? Do you want every relationship decision and sexual act you've ever done with another adult given public access and debate? I highly doubt it. IF an act includes anyone or anything that cannot give consent, be it an adult in an incapacitated state, or an animal or whatever then you bet that person should face legal actions, if someone or something can't consent it's rape. However if they are an adult and said yes and nothing else illegal went down (physical harm) then that is private. If they are harmed in anyway they didn't agree to then sure they can face jail time and should. But if they consent and it's between two people who can make their own decisions then it is none of yours, or my business.

Marriage is not sacrosanct as much as some would like to argue, given that heterosexual marriages end in divorce over 50% of the time, that Britney Spears can have a 55 hour marriage annulled, that Kim Kardashian can basically marry for profit and publicity and all of those are legal marriages. The whole "definition" of marriage is invalid simply because the definition has always changed, marriage between a man and woman used to in the past required dowry, land transfers and you couldn't marry someone of another race, religion or class without public outcry or going to jail. Times change, if you don't like it, don't marry more than one person.

Why is there a desire to call other forms of relationships "marriage". It is like these people involved in other forms of relationships need to be reassured that what they are doing is "right". Nothing can do that. It is what it is and if you aren't comfortable with it then calling it marriage wont change that,

Why is there a desire to call other forms of relationships "marriage". It is like these people involved in other forms of relationships need to be reassured that what they are doing is "right". Nothing can do that. It is what it is and if you aren't comfortable with it then calling it marriage wont change that,

Why is there a desire to keep marriage as a static insitituion? What is exactly the massive problem in atltering it to allow others? Whatever marriage 'was' it isn't aymore and it has no baring. It's not owned by any religion. It's not sacred. It's not about procreation. So what? It just boils down to the rather selfish belief that you just want to stamp your foot and keep things as they are. Well, sorry, the world does not work that way. Change can, does and will happen and it's happened in virtually every other area of society.

The people involved don't need to reassured their relationships are right, they need to be sure their relationships are respected. And the trouble is a gay couple in a civil union for years isn't as respected as a quick five minute marriage that lasts for weeks.

• Like 2

So what?

How is Peter marrying Paul, or Archie marrying Betty and Veronica going to affect you me or the man down the street??

I'd marry a woman. Just the one. Because that's me. I'm a private sort of gent. Maybe someone else will marry a couple of women, a few men and have a big house full of noise and energy and life. Good for them.

I don't like dogs so I don't have one. Shocking isn't it. Maybe I should campaign against dog ownership as it's "offensive".

• Like 1

So what?

How is Peter marrying Paul, or Archie marrying Betty and Veronica going to affect you me or the man down the street??

I'd marry a woman. Just the one. Because that's me. I'm a private sort of gent. Maybe someone else will marry a couple of women, a few men and have a big house full of noise and energy and life. Good for them.

I don't like dogs so I don't have one. Shocking isn't it. Maybe I should campaign against dog ownership as it's "offensive".

You don't like dogs? :huh:

One of my bestest friends in the whole world is a dog! He doesn't lie to me and is always loyal........plus he loves to play a lot. He treats me better than most people I know..... :)

• Like 1

If you honestly think legalizing gay marriage is a slippery slope to people marrying animals I don't know what to say: other than you'd be an idiot and I've lost lots of respect for you.

Don't worry. That was the 50% sarcasm.

Harte

• Like 1

So how does one get pedophilia is going to be accepted since people giving others the right to the word marriage is being accepted? I don't think you understand the term consenting adult either. Anyone under the states consenting ages for sex can not legally consent to this type of thing thus pedophilia is a red haring to bring up in this case. Also if they all are consenting adults then why bother them with laws that takes away people rights to life liberality and pursuit of happiness.

• Like 1

So how does one get pedophilia is going to be accepted since people giving others the right to the word marriage is being accepted?

It's a form of argument known as reductio ad absurdum.

Harte

• Like 1

It's a form of argument known as reductio ad absurdum.

Harte

That argument only works if you ignore the foundational premise of "between consenting adults". No one here has advocated allowing marriage between animals/adults/children other than yourself and a few others.

Br Cornelius

That argument only works if you ignore the foundational premise of "between consenting adults". No one here has advocated allowing marriage between animals/adults/children other than yourself and a few others.

Br Cornelius

Hey.

I didn't say it was a good "reductio ad absurdum" argument! LOL

Harte

I also find it sort of ironic that those who seem to blanch at the idea of plural marriage are those who believe in the Bible. If you want many examples of polygamy just look in the bible, especially the old Testament. I always chuckle that those who say polygamy that is the Old Testament doesn't count but will gladly bring up what the old Testament says about homosexuality and say that oh those rules do count

• Like 4