Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is the strangest thing you have ever

Stardrive

Let's hear of the strangest thing that you have seen, or found, while in the woods. All types of experiences are welcome.

If you don't have a story to tell, then go to your favorite search engine and type in "strangest thing found in the woods" or "strangest trail cam pic" and post your favorite story or picture.

Here's one of my personal experiences.

My friend and I were out squatchin one day at one of the local rivers. He picked up 2 sandstone river rocks to do a rock clack. When he struck them together, the one in his right hand broke in half, and a small black object fell out of it. And he picked it to see what it was. We looked at it and could see it was some type of round water bug that had an outer shell. We turned it over and we could see little legs going around the diameter of the underneath side of the outer shell.

As we inspected, I saw one it's little legs move. Then more leg movement. And to our surprise it reanimated after being trapped in that rock for lord knows how long!! (note: sandstone forms quickly so it could have been anywhere from 1-1000 years)

So we pondered the little critters fate. Should we keep it,or let it go. I said "it's been trapped in there for a while, heck, let's let it have it's freedom". So we put the little time traveler into the river and it went about it's merry way.

From the web.

Strange things in the woods

Anyone ever see any huge foot prints in the woods?Boulders the size of washing machines rolling down the mountain out of the pitch black. Trees being shaken, pieces of dead fall the size of base ball bats tumbling out of the darkness. Five foot tall fur trees pulled out of the ground with snapped roots thrown dirt and all? Loud grunting and slurping sounds and wiffs of stench like rotten garbage, Two large creatures moving above you breaking sticks crashing around in the darkness ????

Any one think there might be something to legends ?

Source

68306.jpg

Source

• Like 4

Found a fossil once, although have found many in my time, just a hobby i have, but this one was puzzling...took it to the natural history museum to a guy I knew in the lab, he said it was a 250million year old sponge, strange thing about it was where it was found on a high area of forest land, the areas below was once under water many thousands of years back so to find this sponge so high up was odd, but who knows how it got there or why. Still have it and the letter he wrote to state its dating. It is my pride and joy. ...along with my Westie.

• Like 2

About 10 years ago I saw a kid draging something in the woods by the house where we lived. I got qurious and walked up to him to see what he was doing.

Two hours later I woke up in my basement with blood up to my elbows.

It was the strangest thing.

• Like 2

541852_10151409510488581_507339344_n.jpg
  • Like 7

Silly story from about 35 or so years ago (maybe more...7th grade or so). A friend and I were goofing around in a small plot of woods directly behind my house. Now this is Florida so this section of woods was primarily maples and these dreadful low palm plants. We had discovered that years previous people had chucked junk back in the woods more than likely from the road that runs along the other side. We found old soda bottles (7up, coke and several other brands that were no longer in existence . While we were sitting there I said, " wouldn't it be freaky if we found a real skull?". Just then I looked to one side and there was a skull. Not human mind you but some sort of rodent skull I believe. Needless to say we had a good laugh when that happened.

In the woods to the west of the house (they are no longer there unfortunately....now a half done division) there were epic wild pigs that you had to avoid or risk getting gored. There were the most gigantic grapefruit out there the size of a volleyball....too bad they are horrible tasting.

One last thing (I am rambling). I worked for United Space Alliance at Kennedy Space Center. It is in the middle of a wildlife preserve and as a result you have to be extremely careful driving in the early morning and evening due to the opossums, raccoon, alligators (some of them HUGE), wild pigs (they are trying to kill them all since they are not native) and various other quadrupeds One night I was driving home after my shift (2nd) in my 1973 Beetle and was looking down the road for critters to avoid when suddenly something dash in front of my vehicle. It barely made it by the front on my car but I caught a glimpse. It looked like it was covered in reddish brown fur and was about 4 foot tall (it looked like it was moving similar to a orangutan) . The view was blurred since I was going about 50 mph and it was moving across the front of the vehicle. I do not know what it was but I think of this every time I hear about a sighting of a bigfoot or other cryptid. I am certain it was an ordinary animal but my perception simply could not work it out. I am just glad I didn't hit it...would have been disastrous.

And for fun. This is not a touched up photo.

post-57834-0-85652100-1366497387_thumb.j

Edited by Esoteric Toad
  • Like 2

I found a complete fawn skeleton. It was curled up like it was sleeping. I guess mama didn't come back....

• Like 2

I found a complete fawn skeleton. It was curled up like it was sleeping. I guess mama didn't come back....

That's sad... Though you would have thought some sort of predator would have gotten it..

• Like 1

I supposedly walked in the area of a leyline (if such things exist), and a small portion of earth cracked beneath me.

Once when I was probably 14-15, I was playing around in the woods behind my house. My friends and I would have BB gun and bottle rocket wars a lot. I was running through this little swamp, stepped around a tree to miss going in this little creek, and stepped right on top of a coiled up water moccasin.

I think the only reason he didn't bite me was that he was so freaked by what happened, he was in shock. And so was I for that matter. We both high tailed it in opposite directions.

• Like 4

I've seen lots of interesting things. Not sure if any of them were strange. I'd say they were awe inspriing.

1. A fireball so bright that it outshone the campfire and lit up the ground casting shadows

2. A rockfall large enough in a far off gully that it could be felt through the rocks on our ridge

3. Seeing a circum zenith arc - only to learn they are common

4. Night hiking into a herd of deer and not realizing what was around me for a while (no moon - no flashlight) This felt strange.

• Like 1

Found a couple dirty magazines crammed into a hole in a tree once. I was 11 at the time, so that was cool.

Found small caves every once in a while. I spent a great deal of my childhood in the woods of Missouri.

• Like 6

Boulders the size of washing machines rolling down the mountain out of the pitch black.
Back when I was at school, myself and a few others went camping for a coupe of days in a nearby forest. We knew of a really cool spot, nestled in a steep valley beside a stream. Real hidden and out of the way.

During the middle of the night, we were awakened by splashing and noise. We could hear boulders rolling down the slope and crashing into the stream. Several of them in succession. Freaked the **** out of us.

It turned out that the older brother of one of the guys we were with knew where we were camping and him and some friends drove up to the forest in the middle of the night, hiked to the top of the valley we were in and proceeded to roll these great big ******* rocks down the hill into the river. In hindsight, an extremely dumb and dangerous thing to do.

Edited by Archimedes

Hearing a mountain lion cry in the middle of the night in the woods is absolutely terrifying.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

:( Did you bury it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the weridest thing i've seen was a bright yellow bat flying in my garden. and i have no idea what it was and were it came from. yellow like a bananna!

I've seen a deer with mangled antlers and a scrunched up face... Like something attacked it (or it got hit by a car) and it managed to get away. I've also seen a giant dog that I mentioned in a werewolf sighting thread.

Also, and this one is rather silly; a few of my friends and I saw a llama in the woods while on a school camping trip. None of the counselors believed us, but when we got home, we looked up llama farms and there turned out to be one about twenty miles from our campsite. So, its not impossible that one escaped and was hiding in the woods.

Dead silence for a good ten minutes while camping once. We were camping in an area that was populated by quite a few critters in Michigan one year and for ten minutes there was nothing but dead silence. No birds, no animals, no wind. Lasted for ten minutes or so and then everything jumped to life again like someone hit a switch. I always chalked it up to a predator in the area, but honestly, this doesn't explain everything.

Edited by LotusEater
  • Like 5

We lived in a heavily wooded neighborhood in WV and next to our home was the entrance/exit into a large deep hollow.

One night I heard the loudest and strangest animal sound I have ever heard before or since. As I looked out the window I saw our large Tom cat responding to the sound by tracking it to behind the house across the street. He shortly returned at a quick pace and into the house he came, through the dog door.

I finally sent my husband and 3 sons to check it out. They went behind the house but saw nothing and to this day we have no idea what it could have possibly been. People we ask invariably say "fox". I've listened to fox recordings and other animals. None even come close.

It sounded to me like an obviously p***ed off animal in distress and I'm guessing a small animal.

It still haunts me, not from fear, but because I hate not being able to identify something.

I would love it if anyone could help me identify what it may have been. The strange thing too was that it could keep it up for so long while sounding like it was simultaneously inhaling while making this horrendous noise.

I'm no help, I know, but it was just sooo weird, and impossible to describe.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

QC, I've heard some creepy things in the woods myself at times. I was told, well this applies to Georgia when I lived there, that many times animals hunt and quick kills don't always happen, sometimes the predator is driven off but the prey animal is left terribly injured. Or, the predator is terribly injured in the fight, resulting in an animal suffering horribly and that can lead to them crying out. I can only speculate that they wish to give themselves away in hopes that another creature will come along and finish them off.

I have no idea how much truth there is to that speculation, but it sort of makes sense. I know that often times humans will die from injuries that aren't life threatening or simply will themselves to die. I had a land lady when I was in TEC school in the mid seventies, who was Lebanese, simply become so upset over the war that was breaking out over there that she simply died from it. God love her, she was a casualty of that civil unrest just as surely as if someone had put a bullet in her.

I don't know if animals do the same thing, but it sort of makes sense to me.

Could be that was what you heard? Some poor wounded animal begging for death to come quickly.

• Like 1

QC, I've heard some creepy things in the woods myself at times. I was told, well this applies to Georgia when I lived there, that many times animals hunt and quick kills don't always happen, sometimes the predator is driven off but the prey animal is left terribly injured. Or, the predator is terribly injured in the fight, resulting in an animal suffering horribly and that can lead to them crying out. I can only speculate that they wish to give themselves away in hopes that another creature will come along and finish them off.

I have no idea how much truth there is to that speculation, but it sort of makes sense. I know that often times humans will die from injuries that aren't life threatening or simply will themselves to die. I had a land lady when I was in TEC school in the mid seventies, who was Lebanese, simply become so upset over the war that was breaking out over there that she simply died from it. God love her, she was a casualty of that civil unrest just as surely as if someone had put a bullet in her.

I don't know if animals do the same thing, but it sort of makes sense to me.

Could be that was what you heard? Some poor wounded animal begging for death to come quickly.

Yes, you may have hit on the best possible explanation. I always said it sounded like whatever it was was in distress. I just don't know as my husband and sons went to where it was, but saw nothing in the darkness. It could have died/went into shock and been taken away by it's killer. I would think that raucous noise would be on record somewhere, but I refuse to search for sounds of animals in distress so I guess I may never know for sure. It could have even have been hit by a car.

It's noise did attract our big housecat enough for him to check it out.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I remember seeing an extremely large (well large for the UK) white spider in the garden when I was much younger. It had a thick body and was sitting on a web that contained half eaten wasps. It was comfortably bigger than the largest house spider I have ever seen.

I also thought I saw a big cat at what was just prior to coming in to Alexandra Palace train station, although the train was moving and it could very possibly have been a BIG house cat.

Yes, you may have hit on the best possible explanation. I always said it sounded like whatever it was was in distress. I just don't know as my husband and sons went to where it was, but saw nothing in the darkness. It could have died/went into shock and been taken away by it's killer. I would think that raucous noise would be on record somewhere, but I refuse to search for sounds of animals in distress so I guess I may never know for sure. It could have even have been hit by a car.

It's noise did attract our big housecat enough for him to check it out.

That's the thing with animals they will respond to certain distress calls. For instance, Cabela's used to sell a deer call that mimicked a distressed fawn. I wondered why when you were hunting for a buck that would be effective, but a friend gave me one and it sounds a little creepy. However, back when I hunted deer I used it and actually got a couple of male deer to come back to investigate. As I recall it's the only "call" like it in the world. Everything else is scent based or rattling antlers, yeah there's an elk call but I haven't hunted elk but a couple times.

At any rate, my thinking is it strikes a cord in the mind of any animal/predator and causes then to respond automatically, they just can't help themselves.

• Like 1