Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Monster Hawaiian Telescope Approved

Waspie_Dwarf

Monster Hawaiian Telescope Approved

The summit of Mauna Kea on Big Island, Hawaii, already plays host to 13 observatories and now a new, monster addition the telescopic family is one step closer to reality.

The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) will dwarf all of its Mauna Kea siblings. The dome, pictured above, will house a huge 30-meter, 492-segment mirror capable of capturing observations 12-times sharper than the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is a collaboration between Caltech, the University of California and the Association of Canadian Universities for Research in Astronomy (ACURA).

arrow3.gifRead more...

• 1 year later...

by 2022? by then i bet there will be advantages in technology that would make this telescope obsolete. they should be more focused on finishing it sooner if that is possible

Very nice! Looking forward to the first and forthcoming images.

8 years that gives us time to save our penny`s so we can Go tour it when Its done ! I`ve been up there twice ,ITs well worth the time and money to go see it,& Everything on both Islands, Mauna Kea, , the Big Island ! And dont miss Maui good sights there too

The sights we will start to see in 8 to ten years Im sure Will amaze us ,as did Hubble !

Edited by DONTEATUS
  • Like 1

Really, though, 7-8 years is not bad for a scientific project of unprecedented size, complexity and costs.

As far as advances that would make this obsolete by the time it is built, I just don't see that.

The mirrors will be ground and polished with the latest technology to the highest available standards.

The servos and the computers and the special imaging electronics can easily be upgraded if needed.

Other than better mirror fabrication, or making another telescope even bigger(which would take another 8-years) I see nothing at all wrong with the current design and construction time-frame.

After completion it will serve us very, very well for many decades, to be sure.

• Like 1

by 2022? by then i bet there will be advantages in technology that would make this telescope obsolete. they should be more focused on finishing it sooner if that is possible

So we should never build anything that takes more than a year to build since technology will have advanced in that year? We use telescopes for decades after they are built, even if bigger and better comes along, as it always will, so your opinion is shortsighted and uninformed. Teh James wsebb Space telescope, which has been years in the making, will be launching about that time as well and will also change how we view teh universe, regardless of how long it took to get of the ground.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

i heard we will be able to see the future with it

I got your playful sarcasm, but no, only a much higher resolution of the past astronomical events.

Anything to advance our (mankinds) knowledge base, is well worth it, no matter what the cost ($$).

Edited by ancient astronaut