Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Floating above bed

Pioneer1976

Ok I've been a fan of this site for years but never actually posted before. Just wondering if any of you had experienced something similar. It started when I was probably around 5 or 6 years old and lasted around a year I'd say. Im in my mid 30's now but i've always remembered the experiences clearly. Occasionally if I couldnt get to sleep I'd walk through to my parents room and jump into bed between them as it always seemed to help me sleep. But EVERY time I'd do this I'd wake up in the early hours and be lying just a few inches below the ceiling in their bedroom. The ceiling in their room was patterned with a plaster effect and i'd literally be able to see every detail. But I would not be able to move, only open my eyes. Then I'd slowly feel my body falling and when I re-entered my actual body then I'd be able to move, I'd actual get a strange wave of tingles as I'd sink back into my own body. Obviously I dont think I was levitating, I suppose thinking back it could have been an 'out of body' experience, but sleep paralysis seems to also tie in with me not being able to move, but that wouldnt explain how i'd be flat level next to the ceiling when my eyes would open. It actually got to the point where I knew once I opened my eyes where I'd be in relation to the bed. Anyone out there had a similar experience as a child or any ideas to explain it?

• Like 3

Yes, you had an out of body experience. You needn't doubt it with sleep paralysis. Your story is a classic example of an out body experience.

Thanks 'notforgotten', thats's where my thoughts were heading, although why I'd project myself just 5ft above my body puzzles me, but at least I can say I've experienced it. I should add when I said I could feel myself enter my body again and it felt tingly, there was also a feeling of my stomach going, the feeling you get on a rollercoaster when going down hill, that was always the worst part for me and I would brace myself waiting for that feeling, once that passed then I would be able to move. Anyway it's not happened for around 30 years so it looks like I've lost the ability. Maybe I should try sleeping in between my parents again as that seemed the trigger for it, I'm sure I'd get some funny looks from them though! Lol

Maybe I should try sleeping in between my parents again as that seemed the trigger for it, I'm sure I'd get some funny looks from them though! Lol

No... as notforgotten mentioned, it's OBE. There's a thread in this forum that guide you how to achieve it.

• Like 2

Ok I've been a fan of this site for years but never actually posted before. Just wondering if any of you had experienced something similar. It started when I was probably around 5 or 6 years old and lasted around a year I'd say. Im in my mid 30's now but i've always remembered the experiences clearly. Occasionally if I couldnt get to sleep I'd walk through to my parents room and jump into bed between them as it always seemed to help me sleep. But EVERY time I'd do this I'd wake up in the early hours and be lying just a few inches below the ceiling in their bedroom. The ceiling in their room was patterned with a plaster effect and i'd literally be able to see every detail. But I would not be able to move, only open my eyes. Then I'd slowly feel my body falling and when I re-entered my actual body then I'd be able to move, I'd actual get a strange wave of tingles as I'd sink back into my own body. Obviously I dont think I was levitating, I suppose thinking back it could have been an 'out of body' experience, but sleep paralysis seems to also tie in with me not being able to move, but that wouldnt explain how i'd be flat level next to the ceiling when my eyes would open. It actually got to the point where I knew once I opened my eyes where I'd be in relation to the bed. Anyone out there had a similar experience as a child or any ideas to explain it?

Textbook sleep paralysis - plain and simple.

If you ever have a sleep study done, the doctor will rattle off a series of "experiences" and ask you if you've ever had them - surprisingly, most if not all of them are talked about on this forum as having some kind of paranormal connection, when in fact it's fully understood by science as simply how I body/mind works during sleep.

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 3

usallly has to deal with the astral plane i bielieve :tu:

If it happens regularly, place a random card on top of a shelf where you can't normally see it. Don't look at the card. One of three things will happen.

1. You won't be able to see the card during your experience.

2. The card you see during your experience will not be the actual card.

3. You will stop having the experiences.

A cardiologist said that his patients often claimed to have "out of body experiences" when he operated on them. The reports happened so regularly that he put an object on a cabinet near the ceiling in the operating room and told his patients that if they have an experience during surgery to look over and remember what the object is.

Since then no patients have reported having an out of body experience during surgery.

• Like 4

Awesome. I have had sleep paralysis many times. Something like that happen to me only once though. I woke up to an average sleep paralysis episode. I couldn't move and my eyes were closed and i felt like i was floating as usual. Only this time i somehow opened my eyes. I actully seen myself floating above me kind of tossing and turning in hyper speed. I finally woke up out of it and felt very creeped out. Most likely it was some illusions from the sleep paralysis but still thats one hell of a thing to see.

Thanks for all the replies guys it's certainly given some ideas to go off. I wish when I was a child I'd had the forsight to think up a way to prove it, such as asking my parents to write something really small on the ceiling so that I would not be able to see until I was up there. I've also put some thought into why it only happened whilst sleeping in their bed, im guessing I was probably a lot more relaxed or felt safer there so it allowed my body to experience what I experienced. I should mention that I've had sleep paralysis maybe 3 times in my adult life, the classic 'waking up and not being able to move' so I do understand how this feels, but the experience as a child was very different to that, I never felt like I'd left my body when waking up in sleep paralysis, I just would not be able to move, the feeling of returning to my body as a child makes it (to me at least) a different experience altogther. I think I'll consider experimenting with meditation, if feeling safe and relaxed was the trigger then maybe it will happen again, fingers crossed anyway, any positive results I'll of course share them.

You can experience almost anything in a dream, but the experiences aren't real.

Experience is experience. What happened in the experience isn't real but the experience is real.

• Like 1

Experience is experience. What happened in the experience isn't real but the experience is real.

Perhaps, but that in no way gives credence to the notion of out of body experiences, astral projection, etc.

• Like 1

-1000 Don't confuse hallucinations with reality.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but that in no way gives credence to the notion of out of body experiences, astral projection, etc.

Why not? I'd say millions of people haveing out of body experiences does Indeed give credence to the idea that conciousness perception might be able to happen out of body. Not proof but certainly significant. I'll go out on a limb here and say this common human experience is probably why we have the concept in the first place.

You said that scientists understand what is happening. In fact scientists don't even really know why we sleep much less OOBEs.

Why not? I'd say millions of people haveing out of body experiences does Indeed give credence to the idea that conciousness perception might be able to happen out of body. Not proof but certainly significant.

Millions of people have not yet provably recalled seeing something during one of these experiences that they couldn't have normally seen.

You said that scientists understand what is happening. In fact scientists don't even really know why we sleep much less OOBEs.

Of course that doesn't mean they're real.

seeker, scientists know a great deal about why we sleep actually. It is a time for the brain to rest/sort information/memories, and for cells to regenerate/repair just to name a few.

Textbook sleep paralysis - plain and simple.

Textbook OBE - plain and simple.

Millions of people have not yet provably recalled seeing something during one of these experiences that they couldn't have normally seen.

Doesn't recall doesn't mean they didn't experience it.

You don't recall a math formula of the 12th grade doesn't mean it's not there.

In some OBE, I've seen some most beautiful things that I ever ever see in my life, yet they are just clean but colorful lake with flowers and grass around, shining stars on the sky. None of these image could ever be found in a textbook or 3D movies, even with the most advanced technology we have. Say, like in a garden of Eden!

seeker, scientists know a great deal about why we sleep actually. It is a time for the brain to rest/sort information/memories, and for cells to regenerate/repair just to name a few.

Who cares about sleep. We're talking about OBE. That doesn't explain why some people have obe, some doesn't. If it's just about sorting information, then everyone should experience the same.

• 1 year later...

im so happy I googled floating over bed looking at ceiling!

I've been questioning myself about a lot of weird things that would happen to me as a child and one of them was that some nights I would wake up and just stare and it would take a second to realize that im 2 inches away from my ceiling, face to face. I would move my finger up to touch to make sure. as soon as I would touch, I would just fall. while still bouncing on my back, on my bed, i'd still be in deep concentration on the ceiling. one day years later I was telling a friend about it and my older sister told me she saw me levitate like that in my sleep. sometimes I wish it would happen one more time because i remember seeing and touching the ceiling and the feelings my body had when i would "fall"

im so happy I googled floating over bed looking at ceiling!

I've been questioning myself about a lot of weird things that would happen to me as a child and one of them was that some nights I would wake up and just stare and it would take a second to realize that im 2 inches away from my ceiling, face to face. I would move my finger up to touch to make sure. as soon as I would touch, I would just fall. while still bouncing on my back, on my bed, i'd still be in deep concentration on the ceiling. one day years later I was telling a friend about it and my older sister told me she saw me levitate like that in my sleep. sometimes I wish it would happen one more time because i remember seeing and touching the ceiling and the feelings my body had when i would "fall"

Well, considering levitation is not possible, you were likely dreaming. Your sister was either also dreaming or was humouring you. I know this because levitation isn't possible.

• 3 months later...

my older sister told me she saw me levitate like that in my sleep.

That's very interesting if she saw you like that! I'm actually not sure what that would be.

To the OP, I've astral projected a few times, but I've always gone into and then below my bed.. I've never heard anyone else say that though. My mother's old friend would frequently come out of his body to the ceiling and look down on his own body and her sleeping next to him. he usually couldn't get back easily for some reason, and never was successful at waking her up to help. (like that would help) I had a woman from the middle of the country come to me here on the shore, and we talked a bit, and she helped me with a few things. My childhood friend said she would get scared sometimes cause she would wake up on the ceiling staring at her own body that was asleep on her bed, and she couldn't get back into her body easily either. Astral projection/obe's are nothing scary or bad, it's okay and natural to have happen when you are ready.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm happy I found this post. I enjoyed reading about others experience with this. I have had a levitation experience when I was just a kid about 5-6 years old. I was asleep in my room and I was dreaming that I was on this huge ship with beautiful weather I could actually feel the sun beating down on me. We were at a dock on an island with white sand blue water and palm trees. I was wandering on the top deck looking for something and a door flew open next to me and a man shoved me off the side. I was falling and I felt I was about to die. I awoke just a moment before I hit the dock and I was facing downwards at my bed about 4 feet above it. It felt as if my body speed from the dream to the real world didn't change and the moment I awoke and saw me above the bed I was "still falling" and slammed into my bed. I was terrified of what just happened and my mother came running to me in my room yelling "are you okay!?! What happened?? I heard a loud bang, did you fall out of bed?" When I told her what happened she told me it was just a bad dream. Okay so I tried to believe it was only a dream. Now what's really odd is that for one I never have been on a large boat ever and I've only seen them on TV. I never been to the tropics yet so I don't understand how I could know what it felt like to physically be there. So time went on and I always remembered that night in the back of my mind. Well when I was about 11 years old my family decided to go on a cruise. After the first night of sailing we arrived in the Bahamas. My mother took me to the top deck of the ship to show me the view. When we were walking a man swung a door open which startled me and I fell toward the railing and when I looked over the side my heart dropped. I was looking at the same exact dock from my dream years before. I instantly fell to the ground and was paralyzed with fear. Ever since that day I have had a terrible fear of heights. For me looking over that edge was like looking at the place I died. Even though obviously I hadn't. That was my only experience with levitation. I find it so strange that I had a premonition and levitation experience at the same time. I have been looking for answers everywhere and still cannot find any. I'm 25 years old now and still have visions of both those days.

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2013 at 1:47 PM, Pioneer1976 said:

I had  similiar experience twice once on my wood floor in my living room,and once in my bed , But I woke up both times in mid air busted my face on the wood floor, reason I woke up my feet hit the ceiling fan and bent back I landed with a crash and my mother came running she saw the ceiling fan moving thought it was strange but did not say much.This is the second time I mentioned this story in my life .It scares me wish it was a dream but it was not.