Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boston bomber, citizen or enemy combatant?

Raptor Witness

Boston Bomber, enemy combatant or citizen?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bostom Bomber be tried as a citizen criminal or a military enemy combatant?

• Citizen criminal, he was naturalized last year
    • Military enemy combatant, he is an enemy of the state

Problem is do you change the law to accommodate a future situation knowing that it could then be used against any American Citizen who could for instance be voicing his/her opinion on a site just as this and then be arrested for extreme views.

No Doubt this guy should be strung up but don't endanger your rights as an American citizen.

From what I understand this is only temporary and cab only be used in a limited fashion. In this case, to determine a clear and present threat to the American people - were they working alone? Who else may be out there who could potentially continue their campaign of terror?

The law here is not a blanket that can be thrown over the situation to deny him all rights. Once they determine that there is no immediate threat to the American people he will be read his rights. Personally, I have no issue with that.

As the great american Will Rogers noted many years ago, there is nothing more permanent than a temporary government program.

In fact, as Glenn Greenwald has pointed out, about 2 years ago all the Great Liberals And Obama Administration, had already effectively suspended the Miranda Warning for "terrorism cases". That too was supposed to be a 'temporary' action.

As to your comments regarding Al Quaeda, keep in mind that there is a high probability that your understanding of AQ is not exactly accurate. It is really one of those bogeymen, hobgoblins, that government likes to create and invoke to keep the populace in a sufficient state of fear and agitation.

Isn't the internet a form of media?

Duh!

I don´t even know what the point of the poll is. The guy was naturalized, so of course he is a citizen. What is there to talk about?

• Like 1

Due Process, Zaphod.

Still running with the whole "Habeas Corpus was suspended for American Citizens last year" story, I see.

I'm just going to leave this here:

He will not be treated as an enemy combatant. We will prosecute this terrorist through our civilian system of justice. Under U.S. law, United States citizens cannot be tried in military commissions. And it is important to remember that since 9/11, we have used the federal court system to convict and incarcerate hundreds of terrorists. The effective use of the criminal justice system has resulted in the interrogation, conviction and detention of both U.S. citizens and noncitizens for acts of terrorism committed inside the United States and around the world.

The system has repeatedly proven that it can successfully handle the threat that we continue to face. And there are a number of examples of this -- high-profile: the Times Square Bomber, Faisal Shahzad, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison. Abdulmutallab, the so-called Underwear Bomber, was sentenced to life in prison. Warsame, a Somali national who was a member of Al Shabaab and has close associations with Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, is now currently in this system and we have acquired valuable intelligence from him through the process that is allowed in the system.

So this is absolutely the right way to go and the appropriate way to go. And when it comes to United States citizens, it is against the law to try them in military commissions.

Jay Carney, White House press secretary.

By Golly Tiggs, you sure won that one! I've never known a politician, a president or a press secretary to utter a false statement or take a position that was changed later. Nope, never.

Really, I hope you're right here, but not holding my breath.

And the NDAA amendment is very real, I'm sure you would acknowledge.

• Like 1

By Golly Tiggs, you sure won that one! I've never known a politician, a president or a press secretary to utter a false statement or take a position that was changed later. Nope, never.

If they send him to Guantanamo instead of give him a trial, i'll gladly recant my position

Because at least one of us should hold a position that's falsifiable, right?

And the NDAA amendment is very real, I'm sure you would acknowledge.

And very misinterpreted. You'd have thought the whole "None of this applies to US Citizens" part of the amendment would have given it away, to be honest.

The "none of this applies to US citizens" disclaimer conflicts with other language in the bill. A type of political sophistry, implying that words don't really mean what they say, and dutifully consumed by the gullible.

Like, closing Guantanamo actually means leaving it open. Or any other number of examples.

Apparently the federal judge assigned to this case showed up at the hospital, roughly 16 hours after the CIA and FBI began interrogating the bomber, to read the guy his rights.

The judge was probably afraid they might try and torture him. No need to water board, all they had to do was turn off the oxygen breathing tube for awhile, and wait till he turned blue. Once for every person that he killed or injured.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

I don't much care about all the crappy arguments. If that's my brother standing behind the line at the Boston Marathon and his legs are blown off by older loser and younger loser, death penalty.

• Like 1

I don't much care about all the crappy arguments. If that's my brother standing behind the line at the Boston Marathon and his legs are blown off by older loser and younger loser, death penalty.

Do you care about discovering the truth about how it came to pass that your brother lost his legs?

^ Who wouldn't? Unfortunately, our top levels of government told him he doesn't have to say anything. Honestly though, I don't think this joker knows much of anything. I could be wrong but I think he's a small fish. An expendable pawn. I watched enough 24 to understand the martyrs never know shlt and they're always expendable.

• Like 1

Apparently the federal judge assigned to this case showed up at the hospital, roughly 16 hours after the CIA and FBI began interrogating the bomber, to read the guy his rights.

The judge was probably afraid they might try and torture him. No need to water board, all they had to do was turn off the oxygen breathing tube for awhile, and wait till he turned blue. Once for every person that he killed or injured.

Alternatively, it's so some ambulance chaser looking to make their name as a "defender of the laws America is built on" (as opposed to "slimy prick who defends scum") can't go "he wasn't Mirandised, let him go"

Regardless I think he's entitled to council, even the Nazis had a defence. but ultimately the conclusion is going to be the same..he's guilty and he's either going to fry or end his days behind bars somewhere

• Like 1

You're right but either way it's going to be long and drawn out. Save the tax payers some money. Try him, extract info, sentence him, kill him as fast as possible.

You're right but either way it's going to be long and drawn out. Save the tax payers some money. Try him, extract info, sentence him, kill him as fast as possible.

Let's see how quick he pee's his radical pants then when they plug him into the National Grid,somehow I don't think he will be quite as brave then as he goes to meet his God.

Do you care about discovering the truth about how it came to pass that your brother lost his legs?

If it grows my brother new legs, maybe.

Medically, that is not yet an option, Antilles. They cannot grow appendages yet.

But you're not interested in finding the truth and details about just what happened to your brother?

"Enemy Combatant" is just a label the government slaps on to someone that they want to do unconstitutional things to. Like detain someone without charges indefinitely or executing someone without a trial. The Boston bomber is already in custody with plenty of proof against him, so there is no need for the government to apply the label.

• 3 weeks later...

This was interesting! I have read a few books by this fella.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/boston-truth-the-chechen-connection-al-qaeda-and-the-boston-marathon-bombings/5332337

BOSTON TRUTH: The “Chechen Connection”, Al Qaeda and the Boston Marathon Bombings

By Prof Michel Chossudovsky

Global Research, April 22, 2013

So the guy claims to have published "the truth" seven days after the bombing happened. Yeah that's creditable...

• 2 weeks later...

BOSTON (CBS) – Boston Marathon bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is reportedly telling his mother he is fine and his wounds are healing.

Bloomberg News reports the two talked by phone for the first time since Tsarnaev was arrested in Watertown April 19.

“I know he is locked up like a dog, like an animal,” Zubeidat Tsarnaeva told Bloomberg in a phone interview from Russia.

“He said: I am absolutely fine, my wounds are healing. Everything is in God’s hands. Be patient. Everything will be fine.”

Tsarnaeva says her 19-year-old son is mentally normal but shocked.

He’s being held at Fort Devens and could face the death penalty.

http://boston.cbsloc...-up-like-a-dog/

Uh, yes he is, mommy. And he's going to be treated like one. Hopefully, like the animals in PETA's care.

Idiot.