Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could Jesus have been female ?

UM-Bot

I'm not that immersed in the thick of it but I believe that the common consensus is either 'mouth' of 'lips' as the fragments translated by Wesley W. Isenberg of 'The Gospel of Philip CODEX II' has the phrase in completion, as far as I can tell //

And that's the translation in my book. The book contains the translations of many scholars. James M. Robinson was the editor and only his name is on the cover (of the 1984 edition).

And that's the translation in my book. The book contains the translations of many scholars. James M. Robinson was the editor and only his name is on the cover (of the 1984 edition).

Same Phillip but Codex II ..... Abe

I have mine in PDF :tu:

Edited by third_eye

Same Phillip but Codex II ..... Abe

I have mine in PDF :tu:

I know, that's the only one in my book: Codex II.

And he kissed my mouth. He took hold of me, saying, "My beloved! Behold, I shall reveal to you

those things that (neither) the heavens nor their archons have known. Behold, I shall reveal to you

those things that he did not know, he who boasted, "[...] there is no other except me. Am I not

alive? Because I am a father, do I not have power for everything?" Behold, I shall reveal to you

everything, my beloved. Understand and know them, that you may come forth just as I am.

Behold, I shall reveal to you him who is hidden. But now, stretch out your hand. Now, take hold

of me."

THE (SECOND) APOCALYPSE OF JAMES

CODEX V

Translated by Charles W. Hedrick

Selection made from JamesM. Robinson, ed., The Nag Hammadi Library, revised edition. HarperCollins,San Francisco, 1990

It's a report by Mareim, priest and relative of Theuda, father of James.

And it's about James, not Jesus as far as I understand it.

From the intro: "James seems to function practically as a Gnostic redeemer".

Edited by Abramelin

It's a report by Mareim, priest and relative of Theuda, father of James.

And it's about James, not Jesus as far as I understand it.

From the intro: "James seems to function practically as a Gnostic redeemer".

Frankly Abe ... I haven't had the chance to put everything in its proper place in my notes .... and the Dead Sea Scrolls fiasco kinda put me off it a bit.

There's new updates to the translates there too, so can't say I'm on solid ground here ... but regarding the 'lips/mouth' interpretation I believe researchers are leaning towards it because 'the others found it offensive' hence ... because kissing was quite common ... feet, hands, breast, face ... but mouth or lips were of a more towards relative closeness or intimate.

You know the meaning of the word drivel yet you still believe in Jesus?

You can do a web search and find many educated men and women of (gasp!) science who where and are believers in God/Christ, many of which gave us the modern scientific principles that form the basis of our modern society, which we now enjoy. Perhaps you should read the very last sentence in Charles Darwin's "Origin of Species". Shocking! One should not stereotype so easily. And yes I know the meaning of "drivel" as well as the meaning of "condescension" and "tolerance", lol.

• Like 1

The Gospel of Philip is a gnostic gospel. It is not even written or based on the teachings of Philip. He is merely the only Apostle mentioned in the book.

Gnosticism has as much in common with modern Christianity as Mormonism does. In that it holds there is a God and that Jesus lived and died on the Cross. But the Devil is in the details and the Details of Gnosticism are not the teachings of Christianity.

Christians live in the Physical world and concentrate on the Physical, while Gnostics try to live in the Spiritual world and concentrate on the mystical.

Basically it is about as made up, according to Religious scholars, as Mormonism, IMHO. (Sorry Mormons.) It was written 200 years after Jesus and seems to not come from first hand experience, but from 200 years of Chinese Whispers....

http://en.wikipedia....ospel_of_Philip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic

http://en.wikipedia..../Valentinianism

Edited by DieChecker

"Among mammals, a virgin birth (parthenogenesis) can only produce female offspring, for chromosomal reasons" - Frank Zindler

Among humans, virgin births don't happen under normal scientific means, which is what the quote is referencing.

"Among mammals, a virgin birth (parthenogenesis) can only produce female offspring, for chromosomal reasons" - Frank Zindler

I wonder what Mammals can have virgin birth? I'm not aware of any....

Looking......

Edit: According to what I've found, parthenogenesis is ONLY possible in mammals if humans intervene and force it to happen. It has never been recorded in any natural inpregnation situation.

http://en.wikipedia....Parthenogenesis

There are no known cases of naturally occurring mammalian parthenogenesis in the wild.

Edit, Edit: Anyway Jesus was a supernatural situation, and thus is outside the laws of regular parentage.

Edited by DieChecker

. . nah. I'm sitting here looking at a print of The Last Supper .. and the person at his right .. looks like a girrrrl :blush:

in any version of the painting i've seen

Edited by lightly

Usually John, believed to be the youngest of the Apostles, is shown with his head laid down, or sleeping, or reclining next to Jesus. Almost all Last Suppers show the 12 remaining Apostles, so if one is Mary, which Apostle is always being left out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Supper

Lots of pictures at Wiki with no woman, but lots with a young John.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Apostles#The_Twelve_Apostles

. . nah. I'm sitting here looking at a print of The Last Supper .. and the person at his right .. looks like a girrrrl :blush:

in any version of the painting i've seen

The artist of the day often painted a young, sometimes feminine, looking Apostle John, but don't let that fool you. The Bible calls John and his brother James "the sons of thunder" and they were ready to call fire down on a city that rejected their message about Jesus. However, Jesus rebuked them for their rash behavior.

That assumes, however that the cells in the offsprings body only come from the mother. From a purely scientific view that might be true, but that of courses discounts the supernatural. A transcendent God who made everything from nothing would have not trouble in producing a male offspring from a virgin.

Usually John, believed to be the youngest of the Apostles, is shown with his head laid down, or sleeping, or reclining next to Jesus. Almost all Last Suppers show the 12 remaining Apostles, so if one is Mary, which Apostle is always being left out?

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Last_Supper

Lots of pictures at Wiki with no woman, but lots with a young John.

http://en.wikipedia....Twelve_Apostles

Yup , total of 12 apostles in the painting. Just sayin... the one on Jesus' right almost always looks VERY feminine... none more so than the original Davinci version. ...Except maybe in the print on my wall.

Hey i know! ... one of the twelve took the picture!* :w00t: . . . (lol)

Edited by lightly

The first painting of the last supper was in 1308 by Duccio, where did he get the descriptions from to paint them like that, because the descriptions of jesus varies, let alone his posse.

• Like 1

The first painting of the last supper was in 1308 by Duccio, where did he get the descriptions from to paint them like that, because the descriptions of jesus varies, let alone his posse.

interesting painting, " nappiing "john"? is on Jesus' left ,rather than right and he looks like a young guy , instead of effeminate as in so many others?

interesting piece of 'fabric' hanging on the beam ....... and, what' in that bowl ?! lol.

post-86645-0-54374400-1368200813_thumb.j

Thanks freetoroam , i didn't know that , i assumed Davinvi's was first. ..good question.

Edited by lightly

• 1 year later...

wow {facepalm}