Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

First Amendment Anyone?

and-then

http://www.usatoday....school/2101661/

This is outrageous imo. If the school required uniforms I wouldn't say a word. THIS is suppression of speech and is politically motivated and the party who is doing it should be FIRED AND SUED!

Edited by and then
  • Like 3

Oh its the tip of the iceberg andthen. Now there gonna continuously pound gun control into every piece of legislation every chance they get till it slips through one day.

We have Amendments in the Constitution they waited 200years to get all the states to ratify. These people once on an agenda dont give up. Keep your bags packed and your magazines full.

• Like 2

Well unless they have something stated in their dress code policies about that particular kind of shirt, besides the usual stuff about profanity, I smell a lawsuit coming against them. Or there should be one.

• Like 2

They left out the part where the principal recites the dress code, conveniently. Inconveniently, this shirt didn't fit the description.

• Like 1

never quite understood the lack of school uniforms the US schools.

Logan Middle School’s policy regarding dress states:

A student will not dress or groom in a manner that disrupts the educational process or is detrimental to the health, safety or welfare of others. A student will not dress in a manner that is distractive or indecent, to the extent that it interferes with the teaching and learning process, including wearing any apparel that displays or promotes any drug-, alcohol- or tobacco-related product that is prohibited in school buildings, on school grounds, in school-leased or owned vehicles, and at all school-affiliated functions.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/19/8th-grader-arrested-suspended-for-nra-protect-your-right-t-shirt-with-image-of-gun/

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't see how his 'first amendment' right was violated. The rules state that they cannot wear disrupting clothing. The teacher thought it was disrupting.

Just because the dress code doesn't mention guns specifically, doesn't mean it's not included. If he wore a shirt with naked ladies, would the uproar still be the same?

Much ado about nothing here. A teenager pushing the boundries. Big freakin' deal.

I don't know what this schools dress code is but they did say he wasn't violating the dress code. I don't know what type of rules they have but a lot of schools do have rules against disruptive clothing. If they don't they will be sued I have a feeling.

Now that you mention it,,,

Looking back on my school years of wearing casual clothing, in the 70's and 80's, school uniforms would have probably been best; now that I think about it. Because it would have at least prepared me for the workforce later on, were I did have to wear uniforms that came with the jobs I had. I got use to it, eventually, just would of been nice if I already had the experience of wearing a uniform in my early youth. before I began working in the professional jobs that required them.

Sorry, I don't see how his 'first amendment' right was violated. The rules state that they cannot wear disrupting clothing. The teacher thought it was disrupting.

Just because the dress code doesn't mention guns specifically, doesn't mean it's not included. If he wore a shirt with naked ladies, would the uproar still be the same?

Much ado about nothing here. A teenager pushing the boundries. Big freakin' deal.

The teenager wore a teeshirt with the NRA logo and a hunting rifle -in West Virginia of all places - and it was considered "disruptive"? Maybe....MAYBE..if the shirt had had an AR-15 and targets with recognizable silhouettes or some such, but a hunting rifle? It's OTT political correctness and it needs stamping out before it absolutely RUINS this country. I'm SICK OF IT........GRRRRRRRRRR :angry:
  • Like 3

Ridiculous..

I guess it was because it depicted a gun on his shirt.

Many honest and well-doing people in America have guns.

I guess these "teachers" are over-sensitive to gun issues..or thinking it will provoke a shoot-out.

It isn't any physical object, it's the deranged or sadistic mind behind them.

• Like 2

Likewise, I've never understood schools without uniforms. But that aside, I have a feeling that there's more to this story than was in the article. Since I don't know the situation I don't know what it may be, but some thoughts:

Was this the first time the kid wore the shirt to school? Had he been warned in tbd list about this shirt?

Did the kid argue and scream at the teacher when the request was made?

Did the kid have another shirt he could have put on?

Too many variables to make a judgement based only on that article.

it could be that the shirt was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know I've busted a kid off to detention (and incidentally tosuspension) because he puahed another kid. a aimple push that came at the very end of a litany of other little things, but the reason he was in trouble that last time was because he Pushed someone.

could be, but since it is not first time kids get in trouble, for anything gun related (t-shirt, drawings, poptart in a shape of a gun, or just a hand gesture), makes me think is has other reason.

turn kids into gun hatters by getting them in trouble for anything gun related, it's happening too often to ignore.

The teacher makes a big deal out of nothing how about cell phones going off in class thats worst then a tee shirt with a nra logo lol

The teacher makes a big deal out of nothing how about cell phones going off in class thats worst then a tee shirt with a nra logo lol

yep, but you don't see anything other gun related troubles that kids get into on the news, unless there is rape or murder, so kids all over the country know you get in trouble for gun anything in school. kids don't even have to get in trouble personally, news all over us about other kids punished for that, leaves bad taste in the mouth", and they will most likely grow up, to look at guns as evil, and teach their kids the same. generation of toothless slaves.

I think it's because schooling is mandatory and forcing them to dress in certain clothes for something they have no choice in would violate freedom of expression.

• Like 1

it could be that the shirt was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I know I've busted a kid off to detention (and incidentally tosuspension) because he puahed another kid. a aimple push that came at the very end of a litany of other little things, but the reason he was in trouble that last time was because he Pushed someone.

I agree with you and PA that there is probably more to the story but the facts as presented smack of a politically motivated over reaction. If there is more then I stand to be corrected. I'm not even a member of the NRA, though I once was while I took part in competition shooting sports. The organization just seemed overly political to me but now I'm rethinking that position.

I think it's because schooling is mandatory and forcing them to dress in certain clothes for something they have no choice in would violate freedom of expression.

Many school districts are beginning to go to uniforms because of gang violence in schools. Even in a conservative Bible belt place like Alabama we have many schools that require uniforms. I think it is overall good for discipline and helps with the "class system" of wealthy students and poorer students being at odds over clothing choices. They usually give the students one free day per week to choose their own styles (within reason).

Many school districts are beginning to go to uniforms because of gang violence in schools. Even in a conservative Bible belt place like Alabama we have many schools that require uniforms. I think it is overall good for discipline and helps with the "class system" of wealthy students and poorer students being at odds over clothing choices. They usually give the students one free day per week to choose their own styles (within reason).

One day a week :o in Australia where school uniforms are mandatory we were lucky to get a "Mufti day once a term (4 terms in the year) and they were usually associated with other special events (such as jeans for genes day) and everyone who went in Mufti had to give a gold coin ($1 or $2) donation.

But I agree with the reasoning about class disparity. Uniforms break the barrier between rich and poor.

• Like 1

there are schools in usa that have uniforms, but those are not public schools,

In south Alabama our public schools instituted a uniform policy several years ago. Local school boards have the authority to impose such rules. There was resistance, as you can imagine, but it was eventually accepted and has been a positive thing imo.

It sounds to me like the teacher might have a personal 'issue' with this particular kid? If the shirt was within the dress code rule limits.. then the teacher was out of line?