Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Seven Gates Of Hell, York, Pennsylvania

Winchester_8

Hi,

I recently came across the story about the Seven Gates Of Hell, located in York, Pennsylvania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Gates_of_Hell

I read that, according to the legend, back in the day, there was an old asylum, which had the most horrible patients.

The doctors were even said to be a little crazy aswell, it was really a place of pain and torment.

On night, the asylum somehow caught fire and burned down, killing most of the doctors and patients.

Those that survived ran away in the woods, but were gunned down during a manhunt by the sheriff and the cops.

It's now said that there are seven gates in those woods near the asylum and according to the legend, no one has ever made it past the 5th gate, but if they would go through all 7, they would go straight to Hell.

I'm searching for people who have actually been there and have maps for me and stories ?

I plan to go there someday to investigate, when I got enough money to travel to the US (I'm from Belgium).

I read some stories from people online that have been there and they say that they hear strange sounds in the woods and start seeing spirits after passing the 3rd gate, demons after the 4th and that when they pass gate 5, a little girl appears and tells you to go back.

Other stories are that after gate 5, a man with a chainsaw chases you.

Also, those people say that when they get back to their car, a truck follows them for a while and then just dissapears into thin air.

I really think this is an interesting legend and I would like to know, well, EVERYTHING :D

I want to believe, so it doesn't matter what you tell me from your experience, because I'm not a skeptic.

Thanks already! :D

I heard/read if you make it pass all the gates you will find the hollow ruins of the "asylum." [shrugs]

The chase stories are new to me. I've never heard that before. Thanks.

I've tried to find more info about this place but I always end up with nothing.

Edited by Princess Serenity
  • Like 1

I heard/read if you make it pass all the gates you will find the hollow ruins of the "asylum." [shrugs]

The chase stories are new to me. I've never heard that before. Thanks.

I've tried to find more info about this place but I always end up with nothing.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds kinda terrifying, but still very exciting aswell :D

I'll search for the website where I read those stories and post it here, there are alot of stories on there, but I would also like to find out if anyone from UM has been there and maybe has maps, since I can't seem to find any :unsure2:

EDIT: Here's the link where you can read more stories of people who have been there: http://czarism.com/the-seven-gates-of-hell

Edited by Winchester_8

I doubt it's real

• Like 2

It sounds a bit too glamourized to be a true story.. You know how people like to exaggerate to impress others.

• Like 2

I doubt it's real

It sounds a bit too glamourized to be a true story.. You know how people like to exaggerate to impress others.

Yeah, that's true, but I'm still hoping for some of it to be real :)

Because I find it really strange that the place is guarded by police 24/7, why would they do that ?

If it's just to protect the neighbors from annoying teenagers, then I could use the police in my neighborhood 24/7 aswell hehe :P

http://theweirdusmes...PA#.UXVoij7h6CU

Not exactly a reliable source, but worth looking at, anyway.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that! :D

Sounds groovy :)

• Like 1

the only place i've ever been that really has those description is my mom's kitchen....the horrors thatve been cooked there!

• Like 3

the only place i've ever been that really has those description is my mom's kitchen....the horrors thatve been cooked there!

Hahaha awesome :D

Sounds like a very dangerous place, I shouldn't go near there too much :P

• 1 month later...

My good friend tried to go through the 7gates

I haven't seen her in 3 years

She went missing.i talk to her parents sometimes

Seriously ? :o

I grew up just south of York and never heard of this it sounds like a gimmick to get people to go to the haunted park they put on Halloween at rocky ridge park just south of the location. if you want a scary place to go in that area try rehmeyers hollow where old man rehmeyer was killed because he was supposebly a warlock and cast a hex on some guy. there was a book written about it called HEX. they said the walls in the house would bleed on certain nights.

the area is now called spring valley park. when I was a teenager we use to go hangout here hoping to see "something". I do believe this part of my childhood is the whole reason I couldn't sleep for weeks after seeing blair witch.

The thing I don't understand... Is, assuming for the sake of arguement this is real, and there actually are these gates to Hell... Why on Earth would anyone want to use them?... I could understand if they beleived the gates would take them to someplace like Paradise, or Heaven - or even Coney Island... But Hell...?

All that being said, I don't for a moment believe any of this - every single 'paranormal' and historical point has been debunked repeatedly - and it just seems so rediculously "out there" that (IMO) anyone with an IQ above room temperature would see that it's just an Urban Myth, a campfire "ghost story" at best...

• Like 2

I've dug into this legend a bit in the past... Oddly enough, there's not a single record to be found about an asylum or a fire, supposedly it's because the whole thing went down so terribly, all officials scrubbed all documents of the existence of the asylum. There is apparently a second lesser known story that there never was an asylum- but there was a farm, and the farmer flipped out one night and butchered his family. No records of that event show up either.

It is kind of interesting what the gates are supposed to be. Most often hell gates are portals like actual gates or doorways or holes in the ground, but in some of the accounts of these gates, some of the gates are things like trees or rocks that must be passed by. Also interesting is unlike the gates in Illinois, these gates have mostly been lost over time- one would think a portal to hell would still be apparent if it's supposed to be all powerful and evil and such.

It should be noted that the area is private property, going there is trespassing. There has been serious patrolling of the area in the past, not sure if that is so much the case now or not, haven't dug into this legend in a while. Couple reasons for this- one, it's trespassing, and yeah, most folks call the cops when they get folks traipsing around their property without permission. Two is liability- if some kid out gate hunting trips and breaks something, they can sue the property owners.. And who in the heck would want to be sued for something stupid like some kid deciding to trespass and look for hell?

• Like 1

The thing I don't understand... Is, assuming for the sake of arguement this is real, and there actually are these gates to Hell... Why on Earth would anyone want to use them?... I could understand if they beleived the gates would take them to someplace like Paradise, or Heaven - or even Coney Island... But Hell...?

All that being said, I don't for a moment believe any of this - every single 'paranormal' and historical point has been debunked repeatedly - and it just seems so rediculously "out there" that (IMO) anyone with an IQ above room temperature would see that it's just an Urban Myth, a campfire "ghost story" at best...

Yeah I get your point, but it would've been cool if some of it was real, like the haunted asylum, offcourse I don't wanna take a gate to Hell, but it's just a very interesting urban legend that I wanted to know more about and if anyone was been to the place and experienced any paranormal experience :)

• Like 1

It'd still be fun for a little self-inflicted scare around Halloween. Or any time of the year.

• Like 1

Noooo Ratte. Not ok at any time of year. This is private property to my understanding.

How would you feel if you owned a chunk of property and it had a reputation that was not true, and you just wanted your property left alone? But people still have to be curious, and trespass and litter, possibly do nefarious things.. Possibly get hurt and earn you a lawsuit. Which of course in turn jacks up your insurance. I'm not saying this has happened in this particular haunt in any way, shape or form.

It's bad enough when people do this sort of thing on public property when it's unwanted. Even worse when it's private property. Extra even worse when the property owners really don't want people there and post signs and call cops.

Now, there are plenty of perfectly legal haunts to check out. But that's for other threads..

Back to the gates themselves... Again, I haven't dug into this in at least a couple years, but I did dig pretty well then, or at least as well as I could from states away at the time. There just isn't any actual information at all about the purported history. Like MIB got everyone- no official records, no land plat reflections, no newspaper articles, no old timers accounts of any sort of thing, ever. No medical or other institutional sort of buildings, or fires, or murders.. nothing. There is a notable gap in the local fire departments records at the time, and I can't recall off the top of my head as to why.

So what sparked this legend then? Well, that seems to be sort of as untraceable as everything else. What did show up online then didn't yield any sort of history. Which probably means the ownership didn't have anything happen beyond local register. So legal level seems clear.

As far as I can tell, and this is just me guessing... The legend seems to have come out of the 80's maybe? Which I would best guess at the property being, um, non directly habitated since maybe the late 70's? I'm guessing a decade of decay on the outside before legends sprang up.

I probably should quit spouting considering I am working off the top of my head from years old digging. But even hotpage skimming has indicated this is off limits no trespassing.. A great legend to recall for the willies, but please don't go there.

• Like 1

Not to mention why York Pennsylvania

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm so sorry, I wonder what happened to her...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm not too far from York, PA. I'd love to check it out. I don't buy in to most of the reports of what's been seen there, but just going in having heard the stories, late at night, it'd be creepy and fun enough! I need to find this place.

Its all rubbish.

Sounds like a great Halloween story! Maybe somebody will write a screenplay and make a movie out of it one day.

Wow, I'm not too far from York, PA. I'd love to check it out. I don't buy in to most of the reports of what's been seen there, but just going in having heard the stories, late at night, it'd be creepy and fun enough! I need to find this place.

Nooooooo.... This place is private property. Don't try to find the place. The stories behind it are false, even though they are fascinating. But how would you feel if someone made up a story about your backyard, and all sorts of strangers felt like traipsing around night and day? How would you feel about some teenagers partying on your back 40, or possibly getting hurt tripping over something and their parents suing the heck out of you for it?

• Like 1