Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alleged terror plot against VIA train

Daughter of the Nine Moons

Canadian police say they have arrested two men and thwarted a plot to carry out a major terrorist attack on a Via passenger train in the Greater Toronto Area.

In a press conference that followed an exclusive report by CBC's Greg Weston, police named the two accused as Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, of Montreal, and Raed Jaser, 35, from Toronto. They have been charged with conspiracy to carry out a terrorist attack and "conspiring to murder persons unknown for the benefit of, at the direction of, or in association with a terrorist group."

The two men arrested are not Canadian citizens, police said Monday, but would not provide any details about their nationalities.

The RCMP accused the two men of conspiring to commit an "al-Qaeda-supported" attack

Source: CBC

• Like 3

Every Western Country needs to be vigilant and act quickly,to stop these Maniacs.

• Like 3

I have wondered a lot since 9-11-01 WHY they did not strike again and more often. My guess is the tempo is about to pick up a bit.

• Like 1

Does seem like they are at it again. Glad they caught these two and wonder if any others are involved. Better keep an eye on the people that come from countries that promote terrorism.

Interesting, one of the suspects,Chiheb Esseghaier, has a linkedIn account which shows he is a biochemist phD researcher at Université de Sherbrooke. Smart fellow, a real asset to Canada, except maybe for that al Quaeda flag at the top of his LinkedIn page?!

Hello? Earth to RCMP? What took you so long?

I always get suspicious when the GOV releases a statement that says 'the people were never really in danger".

Yes... especially coming from the GOV.

Interesting, one of the suspects,Chiheb Esseghaier, has a linkedIn account which shows he is a biochemist phD researcher at Université de Sherbrooke. Smart fellow, a real asset to Canada, except maybe for that al Quaeda flag at the top of his LinkedIn page?!

Because it took a year at least, thats what I heard

Every Western Country needs to be vigilant and act quickly,to stop these Maniacs.

Don't you mean the whole world? Wheres Japan? China?

Hmmm...one week after the Boston incident. Makes me wonder.

Makes me wonder about the ones they have not told us about!

I'm not sure how you mean it took so long?

The RCMP said the plot was in the planning stages but not imminent.
An al-Qaeda-linked plot to derail a VIA Rail passenger train on the New York-to-Toronto route was disrupted by police Monday, when two foreign nationals were arrested following an eight-month counter-terrorism investigation that was aided by members of Canada’s Muslim community.
According to sources close to the investigation, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service had initially developed concerns about the pair. A member of the Toronto Muslim community later came forward, alarmed by the extremist rhetoric one of them was spouting.

To me it looks like the RCMP got their man (men)

Link

• Like 3

I'm not sure how you mean it took so long?

To me it looks like the RCMP got their man (men)

Yes, you're right. I suppose they have to work within the law, so it takes time. What I meant to convey was the contrast between all his academic research papers and the al qaeda flag at the top. Anyways, I suspect the timing for these arrests are political, headline from the Toronto Star "Toronto terrorism plot takedown helps Conservatives sell anti-terror measures" and subline; "Conservatives were already facing accusations they had fast-tracked debate on an anti-terror bill in the wake of Boston. Then came our own arrests"

Its interesting that this uptick has taken place after Al Queda and the CIA have "formally" become proxy agencies in Syria together. Just to spin it as a CT. But that certainly is not the topic and Im glad it was stopped before it went to LIVE event.

@redhen I agree that the timing appears to be politically motivated

This should end well. Suspected terrorist Chiheb Esseghaier spoke in court yesterday as to his charges;

"Because all of those conclusions was taken out based on Criminal Code and all of us we know that this Criminal Code is not holy book, it’s just written by set of creations and the creations they’re not perfect because only the Creator is perfect,” he declared. “So if we are basing our judgment ... we cannot rely on the conclusions taken out from these judgments.”

Right, the Criminal Code of Canada is not a holy book, therefore all charges against him should be dropped. It makes so much sense when you think about it.