Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Half Guantanamo detainees on hunger strike

Commander CMG

Eighty-four of the 166 prisoners held at the US-run Guantanamo Bay facility are now on hunger strike, US military officials have said.

The prisoners are protesting against their indefinite detention. Most are being held without charge.

Sixteen of the 84 prisoners are being force-fed and five are being treated in hospital. None has a life-threatening condition, according to the military.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Saves on the food bills!

• Like 2

More for the other half to eat.

• Like 1

Can you imagine the uproar if a Muslim state had its own Gitmo holding Americans without trial, subjecting them to torture ?

Lets use Syria for example Assad would be well within his rights to detain any CIA or American with links to the military, or any westerner he thought had links to any military in Syria under the same principle, Its widely accepted the CIA were arming the 'rebels', that they now call terrorists.

American hypocrisy never ceases to amaze

Can you imagine the uproar if a Muslim state had its own Gitmo holding Americans without trial, subjecting them to torture ?

Lets use Syria for example Assad would be well within his rights to detain any CIA or American with links to the military, or any westerner he thought had links to any military in Syria under the same principle, Its widely accepted the CIA were arming the 'rebels', that they now call terrorists.

The muslim states do not work that way, the detainees would be beheaded within a few days!

• Like 3

They are the ones choosing not to eat all because copies of the Koran weren't handled to their satisfaction.

I do believe if they haven't committed a crime they should be set free.

The difference is that we just might decide to get our people back. It is called the real world and might still makes right there.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides

The muslim states do not work that way, the detainees would be beheaded within a few days!

I think many of the people in Gitmo would probably welcome death, over the horror they have to endure, but aren't allowed to as demonstrated by force feeding, which I think is even more inhuman, keep them alive just to torture them, that's sick

They are the ones choosing not to eat all because copies of the Koran weren't handled to their satisfaction.

I do believe if they haven't committed a crime they should be set free.

I would assume that it doesn't take much for someone who has been reduced to the status of an animal, or has been subjected to the abuses committed in Gitmo on a daily basis for decades in some cases to flip, Its similar to the Irish hunger strikes of the 80's where they felt they had no other option and the only protest was to starve themselves to death.

I think many of the people in Gitmo would probably welcome death, over the horror they have to endure, but aren't allowed to as demonstrated by force feeding, which I think is even more inhuman, keep them alive just to torture them, that's sick

You act as if they are beaten daily. Most of the "torture" reported has to do with the treatment of the qu'ran.

You think keeping them alive is horrible?

• Like 1

What torture? Please post proof of that.

Not that I agree with Gitmo, but claiming torture is a pretty serious accusation. That demands proof.

• Like 1

What torture? Please post proof of that.

Not that I agree with Gitmo, but claiming torture is a pretty serious accusation. That demands proof.

Even more is claiming so much torture that death should be allowed as an alternative.

Some of them most likely would welcome death, but with a vest strapped on them!!

• Like 1

You act as if they are beaten daily. Most of the "torture" reported has to do with the treatment of the qu'ran.

You think keeping them alive is horrible?

Abuses cover more than being beaten but the frequency of any torture isn't the issue, the fact it goes on at all is, and enough evidence exists to prove it happens, I don't think posting links is going to serve any purpose in this thread.

Abuses cover more than being beaten but the frequency of any torture isn't the issue, the fact it goes on at all is, and enough evidence exists to prove it happens, I don't think posting links is going to serve any purpose in this thread.

I think the frequency is part of the issue. If 1 out of 166 is treated unfairly each week, it is not reason enough to allow them to kill themselves.

I think the frequency is part of the issue. If 1 out of 166 is treated unfairly each week, it is not reason enough to allow them to kill themselves.

how humanitarian lol that in a place like gitmo the detainees welfare is a concern

how humanitarian lol that in a place like gitmo the detainees welfare is a concern

Apparently it is. :unsure2:

To hold prisoners without trial for years, is torture. Force feeding them is even worse.

Regardless of the arguments for holding them, the Obama Administration is inviting spiritual intervention, because collective fasting gets the attention of everyone in Heaven.