Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How will humans become extinct ?

Saru

Religious fanatics could set out to destroy humanity if they became persuaded their view was failing, and technology is approaching the point where there are several ways they could do it.

Soil, fuel and water depletion will collapse human populations and leave a rump of hardy individuals who will band together to salvage what is left and best of the efforts of Civilization.

Br Cornelius

Soil, fuel and water depletion will collapse human populations and leave a rump of hardy individuals who will band together to salvage what is left and best of the efforts of Civilization.

Br Cornelius

Nah -- stable population, sustained recycling of resources and sustainable renewable energy are all less than a generation awayl

Nah -- stable population, sustained recycling of resources and sustainable renewable energy are all less than a generation awayl

You should look into the current sitaution regarding soil degradation and erosion and the abandonment of agricultural land. Scary to say the least and an issue for now not tomorrow.

Coupled with the fact that agriculture as currently practiced is a means of turning oil into food in a very inefficient way, and I think you should be concerned.

Br Cornelius

Well now I'm am not so misinformed, and I can read agricultural statistics and see what is happening with natural gas and with populations and crime and disease and poverty around the world. However, I have no desire to debate you on these things, as I've seen your true-belief attitude in exchanges you've had with others. I just want to be sure the positive things that are happening don't get buried with all the gloom.

The one real concern I have is with global warming, but I think it will turn out tough but not nearly so bad as predicted.

• Like 1

I am sceptic in regard of this catastrophist scenarios, there is no doubt humans would eventually go extinct in the future, but unless unlikely extreme scenarios end with all life as we know it on earth I think that we will simply go to evolve in new animals or beings, some closer to the nature and some I closer to our own technology.

The answer may be held with the Rise and Fall of Rome. People though inevitably form clicks. A nation of people with many forms of clicks or societies start to conflict with each other.

If every person in the world asserted that they are right and have devine right or royal right, then everyone would be at war with each other. Now a group of smart people who despise lesser minded people will believe it is their right to destroy the lesser minded people and rid the world. Now if the lesser minded people are too much upon the earth then the smarter people will devise ways of ridding them. The fastest and cleanest way, is a controlled virus that doesn't mutate. However this can kill large populations of animals unless the virus transmitted only kills humans.

But someday people will learn that secret societies have been behind the murder of many nations. They will take great steps to ensure that it doesn't happen anymore. Because if secret societies bonded together they can inevitably become an army to recon with. If they already do and as a secret society keep it secret then everybody is danger because they don't know who their attacker is. A secret society with plenty of money can do whatever they want.

Easy as walk in the park... the answer is .... BANKS & GOVERNMENTS..

Edited by Tesla II

humanity will not wiped out or destroyed either.but we can destroy ourselves through our own creations though.but the next step of evolution for humanity and all life will be spiritually of course for those who choose to ascend will be safe and etc.by ascend i mean move on from the materialistic world and 3D dimensional realm to a less dense and materialized world and etc.so no people will be wiped out and etc just those who don't choose to ascend and become more than they are trough spiritual means and methods and practices that is.

What this thread here needs is a good toga party .....

No one's mentioned the obvious, unless I missed it; a nuclear holocaust. There's still more than enough nuclear/bio/chem weapons to destroy homo sapiens and many other species.

Personally I think we are closer now to a thermonuclear grand finalé than during the cold war.

• Like 1

Why so grim people?

No matter how bad we screw the world up, some portion of the population will survive.

It will take some kind of planet killer to really finish us off.

• Like 2

Nothing short of a global mass extinction that kill all small/medium sized animals will bring humans to extinction.

Nothing short of a global mass extinction that kill all small/medium sized animals will bring humans to extinction.

I think there's more than enough live ICBM's and nuclear subs to destroy that segment of life on the planet.

• Like 1

I think Its actually harder than you might imagine to kill off every human being, I think we are here till the sun burns out.

Its going to take an event we haven't even planned for and I should imagine we've planned for them all

• Like 1

No one's mentioned the obvious, unless I missed it; a nuclear holocaust. There's still more than enough nuclear/bio/chem weapons to destroy homo sapiens and many other species.

Personally I think we are closer now to a thermonuclear grand finalé than during the cold war.

It only takes two to survive. I think even in global nuclear war and fallout someone would survive somewhere.

It only takes two to survive. I think even in global nuclear war and fallout someone would survive somewhere.

Yes, because two people breeding and producing offspring to inbreed will really be survival.. They would be "human" but they wouldn't be human.

Edited by AliveInDeath7
  • Like 1

Yes, because two people breeding and producing offspring to inbreed will really be survival.. They would be "human" but they wouldn't be human.

Yea yea I know. I think it's possible but way far fetched. I do still think someone would survive and yes more than two.

Let's discount by nuclear fallout...I watched G.I. Joe: Retaliation and my sources confirm that it's more likely we'd be destroyed by some wack job calling himself Cobra..and this all mighty machine named Zeus :rolleyes:

Cobra? Plausible. But it could be something as mundane as Vogons destroying the planet to make way for a

where's that paranoid android when you need him?

Cobra? Plausible. But it could be something as mundane as Vogons destroying the planet to make way for a

where's that paranoid android when you need him?

Sorry it's out of commision, we haven't fully configured it's ability to successfully graps human emotions..it seems to be stuck on depression.. we'll have to work on that :whistle:
  • Like 1

Several people have said that it would be very difficult to completely eliminate humanity. I'm not so sure. Some specially designed microbe could do the trick -- seeking out everyone no matter where they are and having multiple means of attack so no one's immune system succeeds. Or maybe a microbe that turns people into homicidal maniacs.

Thermonuclear war could also do the trick if the bombs were especially made to create radiation levels far above what most of these bombs create -- thereby poisoning the entire planet for thousands of years.

These seem unlikely, but from some of the suicidal behaviors of religious groups we've seen and from the widespread beliefs in things like imminent Armageddon, I can imagine some group doing something like this in order to "do God's work." Right now the technology almost certainly does not exist, but as knowledge advances, who know what someone might be able to cook up in their garage fifty or a hundred years from now.

At a minimum, I think some attention should be paid to the psychology and sociology of religious fanaticism and ways of identifying its causes and preventing it. I see it as a dangerous mental disease.

• Like 1

An apocalyptic plague, Zombies! :o Just play 'Red Dead Redemption, Undead Nightmare', to get the insights...

• Like 1

I don't think we will be extinct per se. I'm pretty sure regardless of what the rest of the world does the Kalahari Bushmen and who knows how many remote Amazon Jungle tribes (amongst others) will be around to tell tales to their children around the camp fires at night about the strange shiny birds that roared through the skies and great battle of the Gods that darkened the days for weeks on end sending ash and smoke to the ends of the Earth and perhaps cold dark winters that never seemed to end for entire generations.

Maybe they'll have better luck in their new world without us to pollute and abuse it.

• Like 2