Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How will humans become extinct ?

Saru

No. Religion can cause a lot of misery, but it won´t do the entire species in. That needs something more drastic. Nature has plenty in store.

Religion could do the entire species in if both sides decide to fight it out. But I think nature is our biggest threat too.

The dinosaurs had been on this planet for a lot longer than we have, nature wiped them out.

We can see what a change in temperature can do even on a small scale, where today most people rely on technology to keep them alive, eg: heating, cooling devices, clean running water etc, if there was a disaster on a grand scale the majority will die purely because they no longer have any natural survival instincts left. If there was to be any chance of survival then only those who have not lost their instincts and respect for nature (and I do not mean in a 'I love flowers" way) may have a chance to survive, but it all depends on what we are up against and who and what is left for the survival of the human race to continue.

Only slightly off topic but:

I was wondering if anyone has seen the documentary "Aftermath population zero" Ever wondered what the world would be like without any humans? Link

It's brilliant, well done and extremely well thought out..

• Like 2

Not seen it, but will definitely look for it. Would be interesting to see what they think it would be like cos I can`t see how we would know, any new kinds of species could start life on Earth after us, we came after the dinosaurs, so who knows what could come after us? Something which can survive in a possible new atmospheric condition, mutant animals, what about all the other animals on this planet? we are not the only ones so who knows, just because humans may not be able to survive, other species may.

But thanks for that, really want to see it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

virus first ... then we'll all live as zombies ... that will be the sequel

I don`t think we will become extint if we find another planet to live on,there are so may ways our Earth can be completely destroyed.

I don`t think we will become extint if we find another planet to live on,there are so may ways our Earth can be completely destroyed.

That may be so, but all those ways are extremely unlikely and most of them preventable, so even if we don't find other planets, the destruction of the earth any time in the next half billion years is not in the cards.

• 2 weeks later...

If we go extinct I'd have to guess it's a 10 mile wide meteor followed by one or more devastating aftereffects [tribes of starving cannibals hunting other tribes (of cannibals)]. Humans are more survivable in pockets than just about anything but bacteria and roaches (and Keith Richards). If there was a global agriculture drop-off due to radiation and climate change, it's conceivable that humans would feed on other humans at the most extreme need if populations exceeded approaching-zero food supplies. A large meteor impact followed up by zombies, barren in nearly childless villages with those lucky enough to give birth having defective children thanks to the inescapable radiation exposure, and there may still need to be a major 3rd event to wipe out the last pockets of survivors to reach extinction. I don't think human extinction can happen from a volcano, flood, earthquake or any other earthen force of nature or mankind.

Edited by Yamato

If we go extinct I'd have to guess it's a 10 mile wide meteor followed by one or more devastating aftereffects

A large enough impact wouldn't need any after effects to wipe us out, obviously. Here's a fun video showing a CG impact that simulates a much larger asteroid.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by MysticStrummer

That video is a little over 7 minutes long, but for some reason starts over at the point where the asteroid is just about to impact and runs for another couple of minutes.

Anyway, I'd say something like that or extreme climate change would be the only ways humans would become extinct. A microbe, natural or man made, wouldn't necessarily reach all humans.

When the sun dies, well the whole planet will go with it, but hopefully we'll be killing each other on other planets by then.

Edited by MysticStrummer

99% ? yikes! but we are the only species that can think about that fact .. hopefully , that might help.

99% ? yikes! but we are the only species that can think about that fact .. hopefully , that might help.

Or are we?

If "we" evolved into something else, would it matter if the old "we" became extinct? Suppose "we" could transfer our intelligence into a machine? Would "we" become extinct if that intelligence survived?

Doug

• Like 1

Yea that statistic about all the extinct species ignores the fact that most of them disappeared because they evolved.

486646_589876421036509_1572457620_n.jpg

maybe humans knows more about what the priorities are to evade extinction .....

It only takes two to survive. I think even in global nuclear war and fallout someone would survive somewhere.

If there was only two left humans would not survive, not enough gene diversity.
  • Like 1

I don't think we will become extinct for a very long time, but someone controlling the food supply and lack of potable water could swiftly decimate our numbers.

^ not the prettiest picture or thought ... not at all :no: