Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Common Sense vs Tolerance

F3SS

O'Reilly vs CAIR.

I found this to be very aggravating. Not that I was surprised but thread after thread, post after post it has been like arguing with a machine that spits out the opposite of everything I say and labels me as a bigot or misinformer. Nobody is labeling the damn religion! We are labeling the jagoffs who hide behind the religion as an excuse to kill. I was going to just post this in another thread but all these threads revolving around the enemy who doesn't exist are going in a million directions. Lets see if we can't stick to one subject here which is...

Common Sense vs Tolerance: The frustration of identifying the enemy to those who won't admit there is one.

Please do not justify today's actions by going off on something Christians did a thousand years ago like you'll see in the second video.

The bs really starts at around 2:25.

Now, I can't believe what I'm about to say here but please listen to the common sense espoused by Bill Maher. It's like a unicorn so catch it while you can. It doesn't take long to get to the point.

[media=]http://youtu.be/Kiay9x6lC3o

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

Now, I can't believe what I'm about to say here

I couldn't believe it either when I heard it yesterday.

• Like 1

Bill said it right, both of them and I don't usually side with O'Reilly.

@The first video...

It's a two way ticket, America is in these Islamic countries, sieging war, whilst these Islam's are in America. These type of radical religious actions and outbursts were inevitable to happen...

Edited by Nefer-Ankhe
  • Like 2

Interesting

of the mother; "Zubeidat Tsarnaeva Tells CNN: “I Don’t Care if My Youngest Son Is Killed. I Don’t Care If I Am Killed. I Will Say Allahu Akbar"

As the gatewaypundit asks' "Are we all clear on that motive now?"

Edited by redhen
  • Like 1

Link lazy here so you will have to provide the trasnscript or you can transcribe a select quote.

In either case I don't watch Maher, he is not a true progressive, and you should quit parading him around as if he was one of us. Did you really think he was?

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

Was that really the mom? That was crazy.

Some of the relatives are blaming the mother for radicalizing Tamerlan. Hard to tell if that video above just depicts a mothers sadness and anger or something more sinister. Time will tell. But if she comes to the U.S. like she said, she could be arrested for an outstanding shoplifting charge.

No thanks then.

Some of the relatives are blaming the mother for radicalizing Tamerlan. Hard to tell if that video above just depicts a mothers sadness and anger or something more sinister. Time will tell. But if she comes to the U.S. like she said, she could be arrested for an outstanding shoplifting charge.

Probably all three. I don't think she likes us.

The indictment of an entire religion can never equate to anything close to common sense!

It's a two way ticket, America is in these Islamic countries, sieging war, whilst these Islam's are in America.

That's not what people want to hear, according to some terrorism is something that only Muslims do, or at least 90% of it

Interesting Maher says not all Muslims are terrorists but you insult Islam and see what happens...IYO what did he mean by that ?

• Like 1

That's not what people want to hear, according to some terrorism is something that only Muslims do, or at least 90% of it

Interesting Maher says not all Muslims are terrorists but you insult Islam and see what happens...IYO what did he mean by that ?

I think what he meant was try it yourself. Statements like that are the reason I made this thread.

The indictment of an entire religion can never equate to anything close to common sense!

Not an entire religion, there are most likely many kind and compassionate Muslims (if you ignore the halal slaughter practices), and there are branches of Islam, like Sufism, that are quite acceptable, to us, not so much to other Muslims.

On the other hand, may I ask if it is commonsense to label a murderous spree at Ft. Hood that results in 13 dead while the suspect yells "Allahu Akbar", workplace violence?

Are you sure? What about the ancient religions that offered up live babies to the fire? What about the Aztecs who went on raids to capture people so as to carve out their hearts on the temple and then throw the bodies down to be cannibalized?

Now I have to be careful that I don't imply there is anything like that in Islam. I mainly just want to make the point that religions can be condemned. Certainly the behavior of the Christian crusaders at many points in that history can be condemned, and it was all endorsed from the highest to the lowest levels of Christendom.

Islam is an example of a "meme" (a word that had a lot of popularity a few years ago but seems to have fallen away, but that I think forms a useful way of thinking). A meme is a system of thought that is self-perpetuating, like a living thing is self-perpetuating. It has aspects in its belief system that help it propagate and help it survive. There is competition among memes, and those with the most effective teachings and behaviors tend to persist and grow while those without them don't.

What is good for the meme however is not necessarily what is good for its adherents nor for humanity in general. Warlike and intolerant behavior tends to be good for the meme, and harmful otherwise. The Buddhist tendency to encourage young men to crawl into a monastery and study their toenails is good for many people of a certain personality, but not good for either humanity nor Buddhism, while getting these same devotees to go out and live happily and productively helps both humanity and Buddhism.

• Like 2

Not an entire religion, there are most likely many kind and compassionate Muslims (if you ignore the halal slaughter practices), and there are branches of Islam, like Sufism, that are quite acceptable, to us, not so much to other Muslims.

On the other hand, may I ask if it is commonsense to label a murderous spree at Ft. Hood that results in 13 dead while the suspect yells "Allahu Akbar", workplace violence?

Probably as much as when a couple deny medical care to their children in the name of God and call it Parenthood.
  • Like 2

Sick sympathizer.

Was this directed at me?

I've been to an Islamic Republic, I've met the people and toured the country side. Despite the constant threat of death from an IED, Rocket, or gunfire, I know that 90% of the people who live there just want to go about their day and live their life. The problem is though that many of these nations are poorly educated and a number of them are easily swade by radical clerics who manage to latch on to the minds of kids and teach them radical ways, then that spreads to other means such as the internet. Then you have people over here in the western hemisphere who self radicalize.

The only reason we are demonizing an entire religion is because of the actions of a few people. Over there they are saying the same things about us, as a number of people are claiming it is a religion vs religion battle, which fuels the young people to want to fight us.

I have served along side Muslims who are stand up gentlemen and women, who I would trust with my life in the trenches. We need to remember we are not fighting a religion. We are fighting a minority of men and women who use their religion as a rally to try and twist the minds of young and ignorant people.

~Thanato

• Like 5

You tell me.

I'm going to take that as a yes. So, let me explain myself. I do not sympathize with any ideology in which atrocities are committed in the name of.
  • Like 1

Thanato --

What you say is impressive; I suppose you refer to those Americans fight with in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Somehow the mindset of most Muslims has to be brought around to tolerance. Islam is far too large a portion of the world's population to think that the rest of the world can retain this hostility, natural though it is. I remember the reaction here in Ho Chi Minh City when Bush began bombing Iraq. The official government position was of course to condemn the American "aggression." Let me tell you, the people felt very otherwise, and even the official position was much softer than one would have expected, and steadily disappeared from the government press as the war proceeded. There is immense hostility to Islam through most of the non-Muslim population in SE Asia and has been all my life.

It is very simply because of Muslim arrogance and intolerance. It appears everywhere: they are entitled to do things that a non-Muslim is severely attacked for. This especially applies to their attitude toward other religions and their freedom to criticize them, and when they can to persecute them.

I think Islam has to change, and I think it is changing, but perhaps not rapidly enough to avoid some sort of disaster.

• Like 2

It is very simply because of Muslim arrogance and intolerance. It appears everywhere: they are entitled to do things that a non-Muslim is severely attacked for. This especially applies to their attitude toward other religions and their freedom to criticize them, and when they can to persecute them.

Thanato, I appreciate your experience in Afghanistan, and I understand your refusal to generalize, but Frank has a good point. Members of non-Muslim religions (dhimmi) are severely restricted in Muslim nations. This is not some corruption of Islam, it's part of sharia law. Here's a list of some "regulations with respect to dhimmis". Not all Muslim countries execute apostates, but many do or at least have the death penalty on the books. Even in Afghanistan people have faced the death penalty for converting from Islam.

When you served in Afghanistan you must have sat in on some talks that explained the lesser status that non-Muslims have especially in regards public display of crosses, crucifixes, bibles, etc.? I'm sure these warnings were given in the most pc way though.

@The first video...

It's a two way ticket, America is in these Islamic countries, sieging war, whilst these Islam's are in America. These type of radical religious actions and outbursts were inevitable to happen...

bingo

Its too obvious. Some can't release their ego and admit it.

• Like 1