Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman eats 2500 calories a night while asleep

Still Waters

Lesley Cusack, 55, keeps herself on a strict diet during the day because she has no control over what she eats while asleep at night.

The mother-of-three from Warrington, Cheshire, said: "I can only tell by the remains in the morning. I tend to find opened tins of things or packets and I've no idea whether I've eaten some of them cold or not.

"Sometimes I've found soup in pans, but also in bowls - it all can get rather messy.

http://www.telegraph...ile-asleep.html

• Like 2

Thats insane. I would only buy healthy stuff then to put in my house. Cause at night when i am asleep i wont have to suffer from tasting it

• Like 1

That would make me crazy getting up to find that mess, not to mention the calories. I think I would really have to watch what kind of foods I kept in the house.

There was a TV program in the UK a few years ago on this and they set cameras up in peoples homes to record them making all kinds of things while asleep, it was hilarious one woman whistled while she made meals, I remember her husband used to get up just to watch her in case she hurt herself and they used to chat to each other I think or something very similar, if I can find a link to a youtube or something I will post it,

I'm not buying it. She could put a lock on her bedroom door, or the fridge.

• Like 1

I'm not buying it. She could put a lock on her bedroom door, or the fridge.

A lock on the fridge I could understand.....

But a lock on the bedroom door.... I would NOT recommend it, in case there ever was a fire

• Like 1

I knew a woman who use to do that, not that many calories though, it was because she kept dreaming she was pregnant.

While it seems funny at first look it's probably extremely worrying for her. I guess to lock the fridge and cupboards up would be a start and have someone hide the key each night, as if she knew where it was I guess she would just unlock it. But as it's not limited to food (says she ate paint, vaseline, washing powder etc) she would have to lock away anything remotely edible. Maybe if food wasn't available she would still try and eat stuff that could make her really ill. So yeah I'd probably go with locking up most things but leaving maybe fruit and vegetables out to try and discourage eating non food items! Very weird!

• Like 2

I was suffering from insomnia for a short time and took Ambien and had sleepwalking/eating episodes. Very briefly, thankfully. I've heard of people driving in that condition. Anyway, stopped the drug and the condition resolved.

I was suffering from insomnia for a short time and took Ambien and had sleepwalking/eating episodes. Very briefly, thankfully. I've heard of people driving in that condition. Anyway, stopped the drug and the condition resolved.

My sister used to sleep walk when we were kids and my parents had to lock the doors and take the keys to bed with them so she couldn't get out of the house. When we went on holiday abroad, my parents had to move their bed so it was in front of the veranda windows so she couldn't get out of the room! She would actually have a conversation with you when she was asleep and if you asked if she was asleep so would reply no lol.

I have been caught sleep eating in the past, not so much these days though.

My other half found me sitting in the front room with two slices of bread and a bottle of tomato sauce at 2 in the morning munching away a while ago. I could not remember a thing about it the next day and I don't even like tomato sauce sandwiches...

Edited by Junior Chubb

I wonder what she is dreaming about... I used tohave night terrors and I did dream but I couldn't ever remember them. They would fade as soon as I woke up usually thrashing and screaming. Lol

Putting locks on all the cabinets and frige at night. Locking everything else up.

Putting locks on all the cabinets and frige at night. Locking everything else up.

That won't be enough to stop a ravenous sleep-eater, especially if they put the locks on themselves.

There are so many ways to control herself; sleepwalking is no excuse to blame for putting on weight through sleepwalking-induced binge eating. She could have a door lock device that would open only through voice + eye recognition which would require a fully awake person to speak and look directly into the viewer. Otherwise, the slurred speech and lazy eye that happens during sleepwalking would not be accepted by the device and hence it will not open the door for her.

Also, she could have kept less spare food in the house, or locked them in a place where only a key held by someone else would allow her access to the food locked within.

Sleeping without a problem even after taking a teaspoon of detergent? That doesnt seem very right :P

Edited by behaviour???

I would have someone tie me down.

Please stay on topic. :whistle:

• Like 2

If she lives with her family, lock her door at night. Scary but hey short of handcuffing her to the bed at night. Probally suggest a psychologist as well, there may be a underlined reason why she is smorgassing herself during sleep.

I'd be more worried about the heavy sleepwalkers the people that walk a few kms in there sleep.

Waking up next to a river vs waking up next to tim tam packets :P

Edited by chopmo
  • Like 2

she is smorgassing herself during sleep.

Snoregassing maybe?

Snoregassing maybe?

Smorgassing, as in shes treating the world like a smorgas board as in a nice way to say she's a pigging out :).

bleh

• Like 1

Smorgassing, as in shes treating the world like a smorgas board as in a nice way to say she's a pigging out :).

bleh

I got what you meant, just thought Snore-gassing took it one step further. :)

I had a diabetic friend stay over night with me one night. During the night, she got up and, while in her sleep, got into my pantry and made some Malt-0-meal. She had to have a good blood sugar the next day to be able to take a PET scan. She was stunned that her blood sugar was up. Then we finally figured out that she got up when she was still sleeping and ate.

Can't say if she was harming herself or not. I still have an opinion that our bodies tell us what it needs.

I got what you meant, just thought Snore-gassing took it one step further. :)

Sorry don't know the word/context. :)