Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egg from extinct bird sells for $101,813

Saru

The partly fossilized elephant bird egg was snapped up at a London auction for double its estimate.

A massive, partly fossilized egg laid by a now-extinct elephant bird has sold for more than double its estimate at a London auction.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I have got to agree a waste of money but that is only relevant to how much money you have. $100,000 is nothing to some people while others barely survive on $2 a day which is what I pay for six eggs. But my eggs are edible, not unique and don't hold their value quite so well.

I was just relieved the first comment wasn't eggcellent!

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

I wonder how many of these exctinct birds ended up stuffed in a manor house, They would have made quite an impressive trophy I'm sure.

walton+ford+elephant+bird+2002.jpg

As a fossil hound, I have a different point of view on it being a waste of money. Actually since there are no more to be laid again I would say it is priceless. To bad it most likely is not going to be on public display.

• Like 4

That really is a waste of money. It's sad that some people waste good money on things like that while there are people in the world who are staving.

Good job it was not bought by the woman on the other thread who eats everything while alsleep!

But personally I think these sort of things should be for public display. Does not give the name of the buyer, but it would be interesting to know who the seller was, hope it was not a museum!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

I have got to agree a waste of money but that is only relevant to how much money you have. $100,000 is nothing to some people while others barely survive on $2 a day which is what I pay for six eggs. But my eggs are edible, not unique and don't hold their value quite so well.

I was just relieved the first comment wasn't eggcellent!

Totally uncalled for ;) If someone says, "The yolk's on you." I'm leaving!

• Like 1

In the words of Indiana Jones, "It belongs in a museum!"

The amount spent does seem excessive.

Totally uncalled for ;) If someone says, "The yolk's on you." I'm leaving!

Cracking effort ;)

Partially fossilized? Any chance for DNA?

I want that for my collection. Fossils are my weakness and I could never see how anyone could think $100, 000 plus is excessive for Horton's egg. I'd put it on display and charge $5 a view. It's amazingly perfect and so very rare , who wouldn't pay $5 to see that.

• Like 1

People should seriously think before they buy. That could be donated to a fossil museum :o

Then a lot of people would be able to see and look at it

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Partially fossilized? Any chance for DNA?

My thoughts exactly.

I wonder if they would be closely enough related to ostriches that cloning would not be entirely out of the question. They've only been extinct for a couple of centuries, after all, and that's nothing in the eyes of genetic history or history itself for that matter.

Wonder who bought it...wonder what they plan to do with it...