Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lawmakers/Aides try to get out of Obamacare

Merc14

Im in NY, and it doesnt look that way at all. Again, I now litteraly cant afford to insure my family. I was pushed outta the market completly. The prices have already raised over 70%.

as he pointed out, the exchanges have not yet started. What you're seeing is panic by those who already overcharge.

There is no way you really believe the prices are going to go back down do you? Cause Id be willing to bet the farm that that will never happen.

He posted articles that they have already. In a free market which is what the exchanges will provide, prices will drop.

as he pointed out, the exchanges have not yet started. What you're seeing is panic by those who already overcharge.

He posted articles that they have already. In a free market which is what the exchanges will provide, prices will drop.

Well a article doesnt do me much good, considering Im living the lies it tells.

• Like 1

Well a article doesnt do me much good, considering Im living the lies it tells.

They can post all the article they want saying how insurance prices will drop, but that's not the REALITY (which we are dealing with not ideological or academic ideas) that we are dealing with. Preacherman you are not the only one who is going through this. Many other Americans are going through the SAME exact thing. Both my in laws are self employed, and can't afford any type of insurance. They will not go on Medicaid either, because they refuse to be burden. As my Father in law so eloquently stated, Obamacare can kiss his ***...lol

Basically there is no alternative for them. My parents medical premiums are through the roof now, and they have a good insurer! The liberals and media can spin it any way they want but it doesn't change the reality of the situation we are in.

And Medicaid is a freaking joke. Most doctors and clinics don't accept it. Why? Because their afraid the government won't PAY THEM! Medicaid is horrible about paying. Not to mention the legal red tape you have to go through....

But hey, if the liberal idiots want to spread their misinformation around go ahead. I've talked to REAL people this is affecting, not to mention the doctors and nurses who think this is going to be a complete disaster....

• Like 1

This is bad news preacherman since Ninja is batting 0 so far with this administration. If he is saying you'll be fine then yo are well and truly screwed.

• Like 2

Im in NY, and it doesnt look that way at all. Again, I now litteraly cant afford to insure my family. I was pushed outta the market completly. The prices have already raised over 70%.

There is no way you really believe the prices are going to go back down do you? Cause Id be willing to bet the farm that that will never happen.

I can't comment on your particular situation, as I know virtually nothing about it. For instance, if your coverage was through a reasonably large employer that self-insures, then your coverage didn't have much to do with insurance markets in the first place.

They can post all the article they want saying how insurance prices will drop, but that's not the REALITY (which we are dealing with not ideological or academic ideas) that we are dealing with.

Huh? Those are the actual prices being posted for next year in Washington and Oregon by the insurers who are going to be selling products in their exchange. I don't know how much more "real" than that you can get.

Corporate America’s response to the 40%, “Cadillac Tax” on employee benefits exceeding $10,200 for individuals and $27,500 for familiesicon1.png is driving up the cost of healthcare for both workers and taxpayers. The Congressional Budget Office released a report this week that cuts its estimate of revenue from the tax 42 percent over the next decade, from $137 billion to about $80 billion. The reason is that businesses are doing everything in their power to avoid the tax. In fact, few companies may end up paying the tax at all, further increasing the cost of the 2010 Affordable Care Act.

“I don’t think there’s any employer that’s going to pay the tax,” said Steve Wojcik, a vice president at the National Business Group on Health, a a Washington-based tradeicon1.pnggroup that represents Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT) and other large employers. “I would be surprised if they [the IRS] even collect,” he said. Jonathan Gruber, an economist at MIT, told Bloomberg that “They [businesses] basically reached a breaking point in terms of costs and are taking action.” The tax does not take effect until 2018, giving employers plenty of time to figure out a plan of action to avoid paying it.

Taken from: http://wallstcheatsh...ht.html/?ref=YF

Edited by Kowalski

They can post all the article they want saying how insurance prices will drop, but that's not the REALITY (which we are dealing with not ideological or academic ideas) that we are dealing with.

you realize this proves you are living in a bubble of disinformation and refuse to accept facts when they are presented.

Preacherman you are not the only one who is going through this. Many other Americans are going through the SAME exact thing. Both my in laws are self employed, and can't afford any type of insurance. Basically there is no alternative for them.

Which is precisely why exchanges will exist. You are whining about pre-exchange rates and apparently refusing to understand the free-market system.

Which is precisely why exchanges will exist. You are whining about pre-exchange rates and apparently refusing to understand the free-market system.

I certainly hope you are right Ninja. :tu:

I certainly hope you are right Ninja. :tu:

He hasn't been right about anything in regard to this administration so don't get too optimistic. I mean, good lord, he is calling Obamacare a free-market system. :cry:

I don't know Merc, I always heard if you post enough, you're bound to be right at least once in a while. Lord knows, I'm wrong most of the time.

My biggest concern is, and always will be, the strain it's going to put on the medical industry with the massive infux of new customers.

So let me get this right. If we do this, we expect the price of health insurance to go down. But, what happens to the cost of the medical service, when the demand for said service goes up?

• Like 1

I don't know Merc, I always heard if you post enough, you're bound to be right at least once in a while. Lord knows, I'm wrong most of the time.

My biggest concern is, and always will be, the strain it's going to put on the medical industry with the massive infux of new customers.

So let me get this right. If we do this, we expect the price of health insurance to go down. But, what happens to the cost of the medical service, when the demand for said service goes up?

Well,thanks for the sideways insult and go happy motoring to you too. All I can say is everything that I have predicted about the Obama administration has come true and then some. You probably voted for him twice but still feel superior enough to call me an idiot so maybe some introspection is needed on your part.

Edited by Merc14

He hasn't been right about anything in regard to this administration so don't get too optimistic. I mean, good lord, he is calling Obamacare a free-market system. :cry:

I always say.... Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. That way if what they say is supposed to happen... happens, then you are fine. If what they say is suppose to happen doesn't.. then you again are fine. Because you planned for the worst.

It is the hundreds of millions of idiot souls out there who are simply Trusting and Hoping and Praying (Wait... not praying. Religion is stupid to Liberals)... That Obama is going to take care of them. And then they simply do nothing but expect the Best and then wait for it... Who are going to suffer.

And those poor suckers keep suffering over and over, regardless of Democrat/Liberal promises. And I just can't understand why they let this happen to them again and again. It is a culture of Dependance and Enablement. It makes me so sad.... :cry:

• Like 1

Well,thanks for the sideways insult and go happy motoring to you too. All I can say is everything that I have predicted about the Obama administration has come true and then some. You probably voted for him twice but still feel superior enough to call me an idiot so maybe some introspection is needed on your part.

Actually, it wasn't a comment about you, just so you know. I was making a joke, and it's my fault for assuming you would get it. A mistake that will not be repeated. And not that it's anyones beeswax who I vote for in any election, I will say I didn't vote for what we have now.

• Like 1

Premiums drop, coverage expands in Washington's exchange

We're seeing the effects of new competition in Oregon's exchange: Two Oregon insurers rethink 2014 premiums as state posts first-ever rate comparison

It looks like premiums are actually likely to drop in New York (which is unusual and unique to their market conditions) and Vermont's premium numbers (released last month) show that shoppers will pay roughly what they pay now but for better coverage.

With California's premium numbers coming out today, the wisdom of the GOP setting the expectation that premiums were about to jump 400% next year is starting to look questionable.

ObamaCare plans cheaper than expected in key rate filing

New insurance policies under President Obama's healthcare law will cost significantly less than expected in California.

The state released rate filings Thursday for the policies that will be sold through the health law's insurance exchange.

Experts had been especially eager to see California's rates, and it is the first large state to release price information for next year.

The average plan will carry a monthly premium of $300, regulators said. Most people will receive a subsidy to help cover part of that cost, and cheaper options are also available.

The Congressional Budget Office predicted in 2009 that premiums for a middle-of-the-road exchange plan would come to about $5,200 per year.

Other states have seen their rates track relatively close to that figure, but California's plans came in substantially lower — about $3,600 per year before subsidies.

Here is how it works. The big guys are exiting stage left because the "penalty" for the first couple of years is far less than any insurance policy will cost yet Obamacare guarantees that an insurance company must accept you regardless of any preconditions. In other words, you can pay a tiny fine and still be covered when massive bills hit. Insurance companies are based on a lot of people paying to cover the rare major cost. Obamacare does away with this basic free market mechanism and makes offering insurance an untenable position for any business and will force private sector insurance companies out of the market. The little guys are hanging around because they have incentives for the short term but will exit soon after.

What most are unaware of is the fine for not having insurance rises precipitously after a couple of years so people will be forced to find an insurance provider or pay an outrageous fine. Of course, by this time, most insurance companies will have left the market and there is no insurance company to pay so what is a person to do? This is when Obamacare reaches fruition and the government takes over with single payer.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 1

Here is how it works. The big guys are exiting stage left because the "penalty" for the first couple of years is far less than any insurance policy will cost yet Obamacare guarantees that an insurance company must accept you regardless of any preconditions. In other words, you can pay a tiny fine and still be covered when massive bills hit. Insurance companies are based on a lot of people paying to cover the rare major cost. Obamacare does away with this basic free market mechanism and makes offering insurance an untenable position for any business and will force private sector companies out of the market. the little guys are hanging around because they have incentives ofr he short term to offer policies.

What most are unaware of is the fine for not having insurance rises precipitously after a couple of years so people will be forced to find an insurance provider or pay an outrageous fine. Of course, by this time, most insurance companies will have left the market so there is no insurance company to pay so what is a person to do? This is when Obamacare reaches fruition and the government takes over.

Clear and concise. There is no other way to describe it.

Here is how it works. The big guys are exiting stage left because the "penalty" for the first couple of years is far less than any insurance policy will cost yet Obamacare guarantees that an insurance company must accept you regardless of any preconditions. In other words, you can pay a tiny fine and still be covered when massive bills hit. Insurance companies are based on a lot of people paying to cover the rare major cost. Obamacare does away with this basic free market mechanism and makes offering insurance an untenable position for any business and will force private sector insurance companies out of the market. The little guys are hanging around because they have incentives for the short term but will exit soon after.

What most are unaware of is the fine for not having insurance rises precipitously after a couple of years so people will be forced to find an insurance provider or pay an outrageous fine. Of course, by this time, most insurance companies will have left the market and there is no insurance company to pay so what is a person to do? This is when Obamacare reaches fruition and the government takes over with single payer.

I'm sure there's something in that 7 feet tall, 21,000 page bill that will make sure that never happens. The only problem being they haven't actually read what that solution is yet.

• Like 1

I can't comment on your particular situation, as I know virtually nothing about it. For instance, if your coverage was through a reasonably large employer that self-insures, then your coverage didn't have much to do with insurance markets in the first place.

I find that very hard to believe Star. Its no coincidence that just months before 0bama care is fully implemented that the prices have litteraly shot through the roof. Just as predicted.

300 bucks a month isn't a deal.

actually it is

actually it is

In 2006 I bought my current insurance policy. It was $282 a month. Next year in rose $5 to $287/month. In 2008 it rose another $7/month ($294). 2009 rose $7/month ($301). 2010 increase was $8/month ($309). 2011 increase was $38/month ($347). 2012 increase was $45/month ($392). I have cut my expenses as much as I can. I even sold my car and walk everywhere. If it increases by $35-$45 a month this year I'll seriously have to consider dropping it.

No claims, other than annual doctor visit ($105 per visit, of which I pay $30). My last two increases ($83/month) are more than they pay out annually ($75) on my policy. AETNA, liked ya before ObamaCare met ya.

• Like 2

actually it is

Yea, it's a deal if you want to purchase insurance. It's not a deal when you're forced to buy it and its an extra 300 a month that you either need to scrape together or change your lifestyle to accommodate or free up that money. I don't want to spend another 300 a month on a bill I don't want. I have a truck payment, a mortgage and all the insurances and utility bills and other typical living expenses already and I'm trying to save for my wedding. It's a massive inconvenience.

• Like 2

Yea, it's a deal if you want to purchase insurance. It's not a deal when you're forced to buy it and its an extra 300 a month that you either need to scrape together or change your lifestyle to accommodate or free up that money. I don't want to spend another 300 a month on a bill I don't want. I have a truck payment, a mortgage and all the insurances and utility bills and other typical living expenses already and I'm trying to save for my wedding. It's a massive inconvenience.

By the time we let our insurance go it was $600 a month going up to $675...EACH. It also had a $5000 deductible. We tried to cancel my husband, because he has always been healthy as a horse and I have a bad heart. They said either both of you or neither.

• Like 1

By the time we let our insurance go it was $600 a month going up to $675...EACH. It also had a $5000 deductible. We tried to cancel my husband, because he has always been healthy as a horse and I have a bad heart. They said either both of you or neither.

That's terrible and terribly expensive.

• Like 1

That's terrible and terribly expensive.

I hate insurance companies with a passion! They do the same thing to elderly people all the time. They keep going up on them, knowing no one else is going to take them at that advanced age...and they are living on a fixed income.

• Like 1