Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

It's all in a Name!

Ealdwita

For many years, Bob Geldof (of Boomtown Rats fame) has had a tradition of giving his offspring ridiculous, trendy names.......starting off with Fifi Trixibell (1983), then Peaches Honeyblossom (1989), followed by Little Pixie (1990), then Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily (1996). OK, I hear you say, just another show-biz luvvy being trendy, and I agree. A problem seems to have arisen though. The fragrant Peaches Honeyblossom has just given birth to a son (I highlight that for a reason), and following Dad's lead, has duly named him Phaedra, (because, she says it's the title of her favourite album by Tangerine Dream). Unfortunately, as you Greek myth enthusiasts on this site will doubtless know, Phaedra is the daughter of Minos and Pasiphaë! Perhaps a little less posturing and a little more research was needed!

While we're on the subject - I chortled long and loud when I realised what Angelina Joli and Brad Pitt had called their son and heir.....Shilo, Shilo Pitt! What a magnificent Spoonerism!

• Like 7

The very mention of this woman's name leaves a bad taste in my mouth:

Katie "Jordan" Price.. I believe she called her child Princess Tiaamii, now if its not bad enough having this woman as a parent, the poor kid will grow up to eventually realize that she isn't in fact a real Princess.

• Like 2

I wonder how much research goes into naming their children. I think most celebs are to stupid to realize what they are doing.

As for the likes of Nicolas Cage, he named his son Kal-el, I am pretty sure he knew the background of the name when he choose it and "Dr Sheldon Cooper" will tell you that Kal-el is the birth name of Superman.

• Like 2

Frank Zappa named his two kids Dwezil Zappa and Moon Unit Zappa....

I always hoped that he would have another kid and name him Bugg Zappa...

• Like 7

Don't these people realize their kids will be harassed in school because of their name. How about Moon Unit Zappa.

Well, that error is nothing new. Look at Marion Morrison.

Well, that error is nothing new. Look at Marion Morrison.

Back when he was named, "Marion" was a perfectly acceptable (although not astoundingly popular) male name.... Marian was/is the female version...

I use to know a guy whose first name was Beverly... we called him "Tex"...

Edited by Taun

Don't these people realize their kids will be harassed in school because of their name. How about Moon Unit Zappa.

No, because there all minted and go to the same posh school.. The teacher takes about 2 hours to take the register in the morning.

Frank Zappa named his two kids Dwezil Zappa and Moon Unit Zappa....

I always hoped that he would have another kid and name him Bugg Zappa...

You forgot sister Diva Muffin!

Also it's handy to be able tell your new schoofriends that your dad is Silvester Stallone when they find out your name's Sage Moonblood!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 1

My real name is Blue Highlighter Smith, so I don't get what you're all on about.

OK I made that up.

• Like 1

I wonder how much research goes into naming their children. I think most celebs are to stupid to realize what they are doing.

As for the likes of Nicolas Cage, he named his son Kal-el, I am pretty sure he knew the background of the name when he choose it and "Dr Sheldon Cooper" will tell you that Kal-el is the birth name of Superman.

I needed to satisfy theory on whether Nicolas Cage knew what he was doing when he named his son.

Apparently Nicolas Cage likes comics. He changed his last name from Coppola to Cage in honor of Marvel character Luke Cage.

I guess that answers my question

Which reminds me, did you decide on your new name, x? Did you go for Pol or Osama in the end?

• Like 1

This gives me an excuse to ask a question, are the names Dickens gave his characters typical of that period or things he invented?

Another name question. I met a woman in Vancouver BC who called herself "Joy Happiness." How typical of Canadians is that sort of thing?

Which reminds me, did you decide on your new name, x? Did you go for Pol or Osama in the end?

I ended up looking through Internet Movie Database (IMDB) for a popular name and 'Uncredited' seemed to be pretty popular?

• Like 2

This gives me an excuse to ask a question, are the names Dickens gave his characters typical of that period or things he invented?

Good question... I always assumed that many of his characters were given the names they were because the names were evocative of the characters personnality...

• Like 1

I ended up looking through Internet Movie Database (IMDB) for a popular name and 'Uncredited' seemed to be pretty popular?

That's usually the one who doesn't get a speaking part, and is never identified by name, and whose character exists in order to provide someone to get shot, isn't it?

• Like 1

The names of Dickensian characters are inventions of the author, although many of the characters themselves are based on actual people known to Dickens. Eg. Wilkins Micawber and William Dorrit was based on Dickens' father, Mrs. Nickleby - his mother.

Names of Dickens' characters are some of the most unique in fiction. Characters such as Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Bumble, Pumblechook and M'Choakumchild are recognizable as Dickensian even by those unfamiliar with the stories.

According to John R. Greenfield, in his Dictionary of British Characters, Dickens created 989 named characters during his career.

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

Celebrity chef, Jamie Oliver named his children:

• Poppy Honey Rosie Oliver
  • Daisy Boo Pamela Oliver
  • Petal Blossom Rainbow Oliver
  • Buddy Bear Maurice Oliver

• Like 1

The names of Dickensian characters are inventions of the author, although many of the characters themselves are based on actual people known to Dickens. Eg. Wilkins Micawber and William Dorrit was based on Dickens' father, Mrs. Nickleby - his mother.

Names of Dickens' characters are some of the most unique in fiction. Characters such as Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Bumble, Pumblechook and M'Choakumchild are recognizable as Dickensian even by those unfamiliar with the stories.

According to John R. Greenfield, in his Dictionary of British Characters, Dickens created 989 named characters during his career.

'Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Pumblechook' are great names. I could handle one of those for my name. Pumblechook & Sweedlepipe roll nicely off the tongue.

• Like 2

I was just reading about some of Dickens' characters as well. There's a thing here --> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/charles-dickens/9033356/The-best-Charles-Dickens-characters.html the Telegraph did about various Telegraph writers' favourite Dickens characters, and a good selection of names.

" Dickens revelled in preposterous names – Bayham Badger, Cornelia Blimber, Serjeant Buzfuz, Anne Chickenstalker, Mr Fezziwig, Paul Sweedlepipe, Lucretia Tox, Mr Wopsle – and handed them out with care. Just the word “Pumblechook” told you instructive things about its pompous and hypocritical owner."

• Like 2

Celebrity chef, Jamie Oliver named his children:

• Poppy Honey Rosie Oliver
  • Daisy Boo Pamela Oliver
  • Petal Blossom Rainbow Oliver
  • Buddy Bear Maurice Oliver

At least Poppy Honey Rosie, Daisy Boo Pamela and Buddy Bear Maurice have at least one reasonably sensible name they can fall back on, but the best that poor old Petal Blossom Rainbow could hope for is Blossom.

• Like 1

'Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Pumblechook' are great names. I could handle one of those for my name. Pumblechook & Sweedlepipe roll nicely off the tongue.

Paul (Poll) Sweedlepipe (barber and bird-fancier) appears in 'Martin Chuzzlewit'......."Poll Sweedlepipe's house was one great bird's nest. Gamecocks resided in the kitchen; pheasants wasted the brightness of their golden plumage on the garret; bantams roosted in the cellar; owls had possession of the bedroom; and specimens of all the smaller fry of birds chirrupped and twittered in the shop."

Luke Honeythunder (The Mystery of Edwin Drood), Loud, overbearing philanthropist and guardian of Neville and Helena Landless.

Pumblechook (Great Expectations). Hypocritical and well-to-do corn-chandler in the nearest town, and drove his own chaise-cart. ....."A large hard-breathing middle-aged slow man, with a mouth like a fish, dull staring eyes, and sandy hair standing upright on his head, so that he looked as if he had just been all but choked."

Sorry - I'm a Dickens fan...as if it didn't show!

• Like 4

For many years, Bob Geldof (of Boomtown Rats fame) has had a tradition of giving his offspring ridiculous, trendy names.......starting off with Fifi Trixibell (1983), then Peaches Honeyblossom (1989), followed by Little Pixie (1990), then Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily (1996). OK, I hear you say, just another show-biz luvvy being trendy, and I agree. A problem seems to have arisen though. The fragrant Peaches Honeyblossom has just given birth to a son (I highlight that for a reason), and following Dad's lead, has duly named him Phaedra, (because, she says it's the title of her favourite album by Tangerine Dream). Unfortunately, as you Greek myth enthusiasts on this site will doubtless know, Phaedra is the daughter of Minos and Pasiphaë! Perhaps a little less posturing and a little more research was needed!

While we're on the subject - I chortled long and loud when I realised what Angelina Joli and Brad Pitt had called their son and heir.....Shilo, Shilo Pitt! What a magnificent Spoonerism!

I knew a Thomas Arto ! groan....
  • Like 1

I knew a Thomas Arto ! groan....

Was he that drinking pal of Hugh Janus?

• Like 1