Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Embarrassing Music You Enjoy

No Censorship

Are there any artists or songs that you're afraid to admit that you like, or do you like any "embarrassing" genres of music? As a thirty-something guy who's relegated to the hard rock ghetto, I sometimes listen to our local Top Forty station that's aimed at a younger demographic. It's evidently not cool to like Coldplay, but they're one of my fav' artists, along with the "uncool" Billy Joel. Finally, I love "MacArthur Park" :blush: , which is included on most lists of the worst songs of all time.

party in the usa by hannah montana

• Like 3

Abba is a groovy kind of music and lyrics I always enjoy.. But thanks to some movies It's become connected with the gay or transvestite community.. as a result liking it isn't admitted by many these days by people who're not Gay or Transvestites.

Safety Dance by Men Without Hats. It's just so upbeat.

• Like 4

I can sing along with Kelly Clarkson like there's no tomorrow.

Which would be fine, if I were a female.

• Like 3

Are there any artists or songs that you're afraid to admit that you like, or do you like any "embarrassing" genres of music? As a thirty-something guy who's relegated to the hard rock ghetto, I sometimes listen to our local Top Forty station that's aimed at a younger demographic. It's evidently not cool to like Coldplay, but they're one of my fav' artists, along with the "uncool" Billy Joel. Finally, I love "MacArthur Park" :blush: , which is included on most lists of the worst songs of all time.

Whoa Whoa Whoa... There is nothing "uncool" about Billy Joel. lol

I also like a few Katy Perry songs, and some Lady Gaga songs.

Edited by Odin11

I was going to say Walk Away by Kelly Clarkson. Aw, who cares if anyone knows it, that song is aweso.. I mean, it's okay, or whatever... if there's nothing else to listen to... in a world.

Also, Shakira songs.

• Like 1

I was going to say Walk Away by Kelly Clarkson. Aw, who cares if anyone knows it, that song is aweso.. I mean, it's okay, or whatever... if there's nothing else to listen to... in a world.

Also, Shakira songs.

Hips Don't Lie?!

We could totally hangout and karaoke.

I think we have way too much music snobbery these days.. It's all good, I reckon.. well, almost.. even some hiphop and rap (but not too much..) :D

And OK, I might not buy their albums, but I'll still tap a foot to Billy Ray Cyrus or Michael Bolton at their chintziest, even Celine Dion...

But I think I'll hypocritically draw the line at Bieber... :td:

Hips Don't Lie?!

Whenever Wherever is my favorite to play to, though.

Sousa marches and Strauss waltzes. Moderns think it smaltzy, and the real classical music buffs think nothing good was written after Mozart (some don't even credit Bach).

I've got a Yotube playlist of all my 80's favourites, most of which, no doubt, would appear on some people's list of Embarrassing music.

party in the usa by hannah montana

That song got stuck in my head for a week. I almost went insane. ;)

• Like 1

Abba is a groovy kind of music and lyrics I always enjoy.. But thanks to some movies It's become connected with the gay or transvestite community.. as a result liking it isn't admitted by many these days by people who're not Gay or Transvestites.

Their collection is in my collection, collecting dust with the rest of my collection. "The Winner Takes It All" is one of my fav' songs by any artist, but it's not the best song to repeatedly listen to after a breakup.

• Like 1

Safety Dance by Men Without Hats. It's just so upbeat.

I have mixed feelings about that song. I worked with a guy who always sang along with it, and he wasn't the best singer in the world.

She's still my fav' Idol. I almost asked my niece to buy her greatest hits CD for me. I would be embarrassed to buy it since I'm "supposed to" listen to hard rock and heavy metal, not pop. My old school friends likely would laugh at some of my CDs,

Whoa Whoa Whoa... There is nothing "uncool" about Billy Joel. lol

I also like a few Katy Perry songs, and some Lady Gaga songs.

Thanks. I share your guilty pleasures of Katy Perry and Lady Gaga. Eh, a catchy tune is a catchy tune. I have CDs by both of those singers, which I keep hidden in a vault. :D

• Like 1

Also, Shakira songs.

I enjoy *looking* at her on "The Voice". She's the epitome of cute, and she has a genius IQ, to boot.

I think we have way too much music snobbery these days.. It's all good, I reckon.. well, almost.. even some hiphop and rap (but not too much..) :D

And OK, I might not buy their albums, but I'll still tap a foot to Billy Ray Cyrus or Michael Bolton at their chintziest, even Celine Dion...

But I think I'll hypocritically draw the line at Bieber... :td:

I draw the line there too. I'll listen to some songs by those other singers, though. I'm not a big fan of rap, but I have three or four rap CDs. Most of them are compilations.

Sousa marches and Strauss waltzes. Moderns think it smaltzy, and the real classical music buffs think nothing good was written after Mozart (some don't even credit Bach).

Classical is beautiful, eternal food for the soul. Some of the pieces can transport you to a place that transcends the troubles and worries of the moment. A few songs can make you weep. On the other hand, some pieces can put you to sleep.

• Like 1

I've got a Yotube playlist of all my 80's favourites, most of which, no doubt, would appear on some people's list of Embarrassing music.

I likely would enjoy your playlist, as long as Toni Basil's "Mickey" isn't on it. That's an embarrassing song that I *don't* like.

I actually enjoy listening to Debbie Gibson and Marie Osmond.

They both look great for their age. The latter shows what a Mormon diet can do for you.

They both look great for their age. The latter shows what a Mormon diet can do for you.

HaHaHa, so true. :tu:

• Like 1

Ancient embarrassment - I'm not sure whether admitting to enjoying Classical Music is embarrassing, but I do enjoy listening to a good symphony (as long as it isn't that electronically piped crud they play while you're on hold with the bank!

Not-so-ancient-but-still-old embarrassment - I admit to the golden oldies of the 50's and 60's being enjoyable. The Monkees, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, The Carpenters, that kind of thing.

Modern embarrassment - if you've seen my post in the "what bands have you seen" thread, you'll note that I've been to the likes of Fear Factory, Cradle of Filth, Prodigy, and Infected Mushroom. It is for this reason that I somewhat embarrassingly state that I am a hardcore fan of the artist named Jewel.

Seasonal embarrassment - it's not cool to admit to enjoying Christmas carols, but Christmas is my favourite holiday of the year primarily because we get to listen to Christmas carols and sing along to them.