Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Embarrassing Music You Enjoy

No Censorship

I like listening to Rebecca Black's song Friday. I know a lot of people hate it,but I find the beat catchy.

• Like 1

I like listening to Rebecca Black's song Friday. I know a lot of people hate it,but I find the beat catchy.

Rocketgirl, I salute you!! That was a brave admission.. :D

• Like 1

The point above of whether loving Classical music should be embarrassing is interesting. I just find that I like it naturally and don't like most of the stuff of later times (except the stuff that gets labeled "classical.") The thing I dislike the most is music that goes "thump, thump, thump, including the efforts to popularized classical music). Still, I like marches -- I think because the thumping is not so tiresome.

Really early classical music (prior to, say, Handel), kinda leaves me behind too, and I hate it when they try to be so accurate and use the antique, harsh-sounding instruments. I like operatic music, but only in excerpts, not to sit through them.

Almost no one in Vietnam understands my taste, and they think me pretentious (no doubt a bit true). They all like what is called "bubble-gum" music -- very simple melodies about love and romance and flowers and spring and such things, and they all admit that it is like bubble gum, but don't see anything wrong with that.

Alice Deejay's "Your Not Alone". I danced like a loon to it in the early 2000's.

I don't know how embarrassing it is, but I also like classical music, which is my favorite kind of music. I also like blues, jazz, big band and some opera arias, early jazz (Louie Armstrong, King Oliver), Scott Joplin, ethnic folk music... I'm not embarrassed at all about all this.

I also like some silly songs that would probably embarrass some of the younger folk. I think most popular music of the last ten or so (maybe twenty) years is pretty embarrassing.

It is not an embarrassment to like this song, for instance. (If Youtube will let it play.)

[media=]

[/media] Edited by StarMountainKid

Ancient embarrassment - I'm not sure whether admitting to enjoying Classical Music is embarrassing, but I do enjoy listening to a good symphony (as long as it isn't that electronically piped crud they play while you're on hold with the bank!

Not-so-ancient-but-still-old embarrassment - I admit to the golden oldies of the 50's and 60's being enjoyable. The Monkees, Buddy Holly, Beach Boys, The Carpenters, that kind of thing.

Modern embarrassment - if you've seen my post in the "what bands have you seen" thread, you'll note that I've been to the likes of Fear Factory, Cradle of Filth, Prodigy, and Infected Mushroom. It is for this reason that I somewhat embarrassingly state that I am a hardcore fan of the artist named Jewel.

Seasonal embarrassment - it's not cool to admit to enjoying Christmas carols, but Christmas is my favourite holiday of the year primarily because we get to listen to Christmas carols and sing along to them.

Yeah, classical is as "humiliating" as PBS. I like all of the older artists on your "geezer" list. The Monkees are fun, but they're just a bit more real than the Archies and Josey and the Pussycats. As for Christmas songs, I'll take the Fifth because I feel like drinking a fifth when I hear them three months before the big day.

She should get down on her knees each morning and thank the good Lord for auto tune. So should a lot of other singers, for that matter.

The point above of whether loving Classical music should be embarrassing is interesting. I just find that I like it naturally and don't like most of the stuff of later times (except the stuff that gets labeled "classical.") The thing I dislike the most is music that goes "thump, thump, thump, including the efforts to popularized classical music). Still, I like marches -- I think because the thumping is not so tiresome.

Really early classical music (prior to, say, Handel), kinda leaves me behind too, and I hate it when they try to be so accurate and use the antique, harsh-sounding instruments. I like operatic music, but only in excerpts, not to sit through them.

Almost no one in Vietnam understands my taste, and they think me pretentious (no doubt a bit true). They all like what is called "bubble-gum" music -- very simple melodies about love and romance and flowers and spring and such things, and they all admit that it is like bubble gum, but don't see anything wrong with that.

I like bits of classical and opera. I don't listen to them on a continuous basis. There are pieces that I absolutely love, though. They're more moving than most current songs. I like certain soundtracks from older movies too. Many of them are Morricone scores. He has a certain European style that's missing from American and Canadian soundtracks. He has a signature sound with various forms.

Alice Deejay's "Your Not Alone". I danced like a loon to it in the early 2000's.

I don't remember that one. I'm again out of the loop.

I don't know how embarrassing it is, but I also like classical music, which is my favorite kind of music. I also like blues, jazz, big band and some opera arias, early jazz (Louie Armstrong, King Oliver), Scott Joplin, ethnic folk music... I'm not embarrassed at all about all this.

I also like some silly songs that would probably embarrass some of the younger folk. I think most popular music of the last ten or so (maybe twenty) years is pretty embarrassing.

It is not an embarrassment to like this song, for instance. (If Youtube will let it play.)

[media=]

[/media]

Like you, I prefer older jazz to newer jazz. My grandma loves Big Band, and my grandpa loved blues and rockabilly. The latter two were effectively combined by Chuck Berry. He might not have been the first to do so, but he was the most influential. He might not have discovered or invented R&R, but he brought it to the world's attention. Ike Turner supposedly made the first rock record. Was it entitled "Rocket 88"? Of course, various musicologists and rock historians claim that other artists, especially in the R&B genre, beat Turner to the punch.

I don't think it's embarrassing, it's just not very popular among our age demographic. I just put it out there for thought.

In 99% of trance I'd agree. Especially those popularised classical songs whacked to a crappy bass rhythm. It's tinny and horrible. It's trance for the masses. However, there is an undeground trance movement that involves a lot more interesting tunes and a bit of psychadelic spin on it. Allow me to provide one youtube video that may change your opinion. Note that both DJ's in this trance group are classically trained pianists who wrote this album with the title "Classical Mushroom" because they were making their own brand of classical music for a modern audience. Listen the whole way through before making any decisions :)

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Paranoid Android

I don't remember that one. I'm again out of the loop.

Technically, it's Better Off Alone.

"You're not Alone" was, of course, Olive.

• Like 2

Boney M - By the River of Babylon and Mary's Boy Child Jesus Christ (if that's the correct title).

Sweet - Wig, Wam, Bam (I'm blaming this one on childhood silliness repeating Wig, Wam, Bam like a million times until someone yells "can't you think of anything else to sing").

Gotta be plenty more ... will get back to you.

Oh and is it embarrassing to be a Duran Duran fan 4 eva? *guilty*

All of which reminds me of an otherwise normal workmate I knew many years ago, who once confided in me that he loved 'muzak' - of the type played in lifts and department stores.. Now please note that this was in the late 70's, so please do not judge if you are not old enough to know:

a - what sort of music was played

b - what quality of recordings were employed

c - what quality of amplifiers and speakers

I think some folks here will remember/know what I mean..

At the time I was a bit of a high-fidelity snob buff (eg, does the Shure V15 Type III and direct-to-disc recordings mean anything to you? :D) and I shuddered in horror as I had a mental picture of the small ensembles who were gathered together to play that awful stuff. Not a pretty sight..

Boney M - By the River of Babylon and Mary's Boy Child Jesus Christ (if that's the correct title).

Ah, Christmas songs, that's a whole sub-genre, isn't it .. Really, any Christmas song except perhaps two* could come under that.

1. Fairytale of New York, by the Pogues & Kirsty MacColl, obviously;
  2. Do They know it's Christmas, of course

• Like 1

Technically, it's Better Off Alone.

"You're not Alone" was, of course, Olive.

You stole my thunder and with videos.The Alice Deejay song is an ideal piece of pop trance suited for independent women.She does ditch her boyfriend after all.When he gets covered in sand it's a metaphor for not exactly burying the hatchet but their relationship.So where do I fit in and why should I be attracted to it?

Though I'm glad you brought up the Olive song.Another of those songs that has firmly put Manchester on the music map.Though the song is more moody than Better Off Alone with subdued lighting and a more smoky voice than Alice.Speaking of which my sister just happened to be humming it a moment ago.

Edited by G Donnelly

Sweet - Wig, Wam, Bam (I'm blaming this one on childhood silliness repeating Wig, Wam, Bam like a million times until someone yells "can't you think of anything else to sing").

Gotta be plenty more ... will get back to you.

Oh and is it embarrassing to be a Duran Duran fan 4 eva? *guilty*

I have to admit that I own two Duran Duran CDs. The one, that came out in the 90s, has some great songs on it that transcend the New Wave genre.

• Like 1

All of which reminds me of an otherwise normal workmate I knew many years ago, who once confided in me that he loved 'muzak' - of the type played in lifts and department stores.. Now please note that this was in the late 70's, so please do not judge if you are not old enough to know:

a - what sort of music was played

b - what quality of recordings were employed

c - what quality of amplifiers and speakers

I think some folks here will remember/know what I mean..

At the time I was a bit of a high-fidelity snob buff (eg, does the Shure V15 Type III and direct-to-disc recordings mean anything to you? :D) and I shuddered in horror as I had a mental picture of the small ensembles who were gathered together to play that awful stuff. Not a pretty sight..

Before my time, our city had an instrumental station that was close to constant Muzak. My mom listened to it, and she bought those Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops albums, which served as my introduction to movie soundtracks.

I rather like Bing Crosby and "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas."

It's *the* secular holiday song. "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole comes in second.

Before my time, our city had an instrumental station that was close to constant Muzak. My mom listened to it, and she bought those Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops albums, which served as my introduction to movie soundtracks.

Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops! - Wow, brings back more memories - but that is definitely upmarket muzak. There were others like Ronnie Aldrich and his 2 Pianos, Henry Mancini, James Last, and then you might include Herb Alpert, Bacharach.. I think all of those types of Muzak (note the capital M) were/are quite respectable..

I was thinking more of the muzak where an obviously small ensemble of players would 'cover' various well-known songs...

• Like 1

Oh Lord, might as well confess:

I listen to "smooth jazz" sometimes on the internet, if I need to tune out some background noise while working. I don't spend money on it though. I have downloaded some free SJ songs.

Sometimes the oldies station will play disco songs like ABBA and Donna Summer, and I will listen.

I did like some of the techno/electronica stuff that came out in the last 10 years. I also like some 80's house and freestyle.

Embarrassing? They're not what I would play in my sportscar, but they're brilliantly composed and performed. Enjoy.

HANK WILLIAMS "Lovesick Blues"

STENDAL BLAST "In Diesem Sinne"

THE SOUND OF MUSIC "My Favorite Things" (The Sound of Music)

JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR "You Sad, Pathetic Man" (a section of the "The Last Supper")