Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

where are the emotions

danielost

I believe that all emotions, save one reside in the brain. The one that resides in the heart is love. This explains a broken heart.

The bible(I don't remember where.) Says the soul lives in the heart.

Emotions do no reside anywhere, they are a byproduct of conscious exprience.

The heart is symbolic for love - several factors that contributed to the initial belief that the heart was the primary organ in humans, the major ones being its anatomical position at the center of the body and its necessity in sustaining our life. it seems intuitive that that core which allows us to live might be what also allows us to experience life. At the very least, the intimate connection between heart and life is evident

So love's association with the heart stems from the physical feeling that emanates from it when we experience love coupled with this psychological notion of the heart as symbol for life and emotion that pervades our collective consciousness.

• Like 3

All your heart does is pump blood. As for soul, that's a different story altogether!

Emotions are all in the brain.

Edit: And the only way to get a broken heart from love is if it causes you to have a heart attack :w00t:

Edit 2: Plus even if you did somehow completely stop or suddenly remove your heart you can stay conscious for a little while and still feel love with no heart... (But don't try it)

Edited by Timonthy

They originate in the frontal lobes for the must part. People with brain damage often have problems with emotions. I have experienced first hand. One of the joys of having a wonky brain, you get a lot of insight on how it works. Read on...

https://www.headway.org.uk/emotional-and-behavioural.aspx

• Like 2

Primitive emotions such as fear and anger seem to arise in the amygdala. This is also true for other vertebrates. Humans are not the only ones with emotions.

• Like 1

They originate in the frontal lobes for the must part. People with brain damage often have problems with emotions. I have experienced first hand. One of the joys of having a wonky brain, you get a lot of insight on how it works. Read on...

https://www.headway....ehavioural.aspx

Thanks for this link Darkwind. I had a severe head injury at the age of seven and spent 15 days in a coma. All I can add is that I never have been very emotional about most things.
  • Like 1

All your heart does is pump blood. As for soul, that's a different story altogether!

Emotions are all in the brain.

Edit: And the only way to get a broken heart from love is if it causes you to have a heart attack :w00t:

Edit 2: Plus even if you did somehow completely stop or suddenly remove your heart you can stay conscious for a little while and still feel love with no heart... (But don't try it)

People who get heart transplants sometimes take on characteristics of the doner.

• Like 1

People who get heart transplants sometimes take on characteristics of the doner.

Got a link to a study for that statement?

• Like 1

Sorry, I am sure there are but I am not able to copy and paste with this bad tablet.

Mine are primarily in my stomach, but I also feel them in my chest, face and head and sometimes in my nerves.

This is where I feel them.

I want to do an experiment and track when I feel them where, what spurred it and what I interpret it as, love, sadness, anger etc...

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

Don't forget the guts. Those emotions go well with loud music etc.

The guts come from the stomach and the balls?...what can I say? :su

When I am proud of someone I love I feel it in my heart and a tear comes to my eye. My heart and my tearduct are connected. It happened to me last night and just right now so I took note of it to report it here..

• Like 2

Human emotions have two levels, which diferentiates them from the emotions of other animals. All animals have evolved responses which are created, not just in the brain but as involuntary chemical and muscle responses. For example fear. One can be afraid, without even understanding what fear is.

However, human emotions are characterised and complicated by our self awareness. This means we can negate, modify, or chose, all our emotional responses using our minds. It also means that human emotions, like love, have symbolic/intellectual constructs attached to them, and this allows for many forms of love.

Human fear is often generated via our self aware understanding of our environment. In other words it exists only in our minds and often exists where there is absolutely nothing real or physical to fear. Human phobias or severe fears are ALL learned responses, and every phobic reaction, or fear can be successfully unlearned.

Edited by Mr Walker

There is a lot of material on the internet just located by googling the key words. This one was quite interesting. Mostly anecdotal but some educated professional comments and opinions.

http://www.naturalnews.com/028537_organ_transplants_memories.html

Here is another one that claims one in ten recipients take on characterisics of their donor.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/426766/one_in_ten_transplant_patients_inherit_personalities_of_their_organ/

What is more fascinatiing are the claims, (based on some recorded experiences) that a recipient may gain some of the memories of a donor. This has renewed interest in the concept of cellular memory storage outside of the brain.