Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hoax, misinterpretation or real?

95-Nasty

First off im not sure if ive posted this in the right forum? Second could not think of a suitable title or heading!

I read a lot of posts on here and other sites about all sorts of things, UFO's, Aliens, Ghosts, Bigfoot, Monsters etc. Its seems like every photo and video are said to be a 'hoax' or 'fake' weather by C.G.I, overexposure, man in a mask, misidentification, crap camera, wrong camera, photoshop etc, etc, etc! Stories are not taken serious unless there are photos, or video evidence to go with it, then more photos are asked for, better quality pics etc! Then back to square one 'Faked' or 'Hoaxed'. Im sure a lot of people dont post photos because of that fact.

Im just wondering, if there are any Photos or Videos out there which can not be said or proved to be 'Fake' or if any photos have been proven to be real (and by real im not talking clouds, smoke, trees or misadentification)? I know there are a lot of experts on here which can explain why some photos are fakes. Id like to see photos that are not fake or have no explination.

Don't you think if there were 100% identified photos/video of these entities, they would no longer be mysteries?

I'm afraid you won't find much.

Then think this site should be re-named "Explained Mysteries"

I know there are a lot of experts on here which can explain why some photos are fakes. Id like to see photos that are not fake or have no explination.

So would we.

First off im not sure if ive posted this in the right forum? Second could not think of a suitable title or heading!

I read a lot of posts on here and other sites about all sorts of things, UFO's, Aliens, Ghosts, Bigfoot, Monsters etc. Its seems like every photo and video are said to be a 'hoax' or 'fake' weather by C.G.I, overexposure, man in a mask, misidentification, crap camera, wrong camera, photoshop etc, etc, etc! Stories are not taken serious unless there are photos, or video evidence to go with it, then more photos are asked for, better quality pics etc! Then back to square one 'Faked' or 'Hoaxed'. Im sure a lot of people dont post photos because of that fact.

Im just wondering, if there are any Photos or Videos out there which can not be said or proved to be 'Fake' or if any photos have been proven to be real (and by real im not talking clouds, smoke, trees or misadentification)? I know there are a lot of experts on here which can explain why some photos are fakes. Id like to see photos that are not fake or have no explination.

There's a lot to think about in your post.

The first thing to think about is the idea of serious. Some stories/experiences can be taken seriously without there being video or photographic evidence. In my opinion it has a lot to do with the person relating their experience and what they want the audience to get out of it. There are several reasons people relate odd experiences.

1, They want to understand their experience. These are my favorite type of posters because they want to understand and usually the least combative when questioned about the experience or ideas about their experience are put forth such as identification error, illness up to and including ideas about documenting their experience if it is an ongoing issue.

2. They want to tell a story. The people that want to tell a story are my second favorite because they don't care about anything other than their audience having a good time listening to the story. It doesn't matter if it is 'true' it's the art of story telling. Their stories aren't up for debate or scrutiny that isn't the point, they are campfire stories intended for no other reason than to entertain. The unfortunate side effect of a good story teller is when the audience can't tell if they are telling a story or if the person is relating an experience and then the story makes its way out into the public as an urban legend.

3. They want to prove their experience. These people are more difficult because they, for what ever reason, insist that their experience is a real experience and happened outside of themselves. To me they are the most difficult to deal with. They become defensive when questioned will often refuse alternative explanations/ideas and often refuse to provide evidence of their experience. Some reasons why they refuse to offer evidence to support their claim is; they do not want to admit they may be wrong. It seems silly and most people might find relief in knowing that they aren't experiencing something 'other' but there is a segment of the population that feels this identifies who they are. They are so wrapped up in their experience and feel without it they have nothing to distinguish themselves. The uniqueness that is accompanied by an extraordinary event marks them as special and they will guard that with all the fiber of their being. Don't be fooled by the people who claim, "I wish this wasn't happening to me, it's a torment", because this is the same mindset (only seen through the negative) or they wouldn't be talking about how bad their experiences were because it still makes them special.

There are also liars and frauds who want to sell 'haunted items' or tools to detect , fill in the blank. People want to feel included in special knowledge that is why 'Rod' videos were so popular a few years ago. When it was shown that they were moths or other bugs people lost a lucrative business. Money and fame can be a driving force behind this and it does go back to it being ego driven, they want to be smarter and fool people to distinguish themselves.

I for one am always glad when a photo/video is examined. If it is debunked as a hoax or fraud, camera error or what ever it's one less piece of garbage evidence to sort through trying to find what most of us are after good quality evidence. Evidence that makes an individual stop and go hmm.... maybe. They are rare though and off the top of my head I don't know of any. Doesn't stop any of us from looking though.

Mabon.

Even if the photo/video was real many won't accept it and can't blame them because manipulating it is so easy. I think you would have to experience it yourself to really believe in it.

Hilander, I'm going to have to beg to disagree with a point of yours, the part about "having to experience it for yourself to believe it."

People's experience can be believed even if another hasn't experienced for themselves. We do it all the time with other things. Why? Because the stories are or have the ring of fact to them. Facts can be substantiated and if the fact can't be substantiated if the person is known to be honest it still may be believed. An honest and reliable person will allow themselves to be questioned about an event. I always mistrust people who aren't open or try to shut down conversation about an event they claim to have experienced when they are questioned. (I'm not talking about being rude, but honest questions.)

The statement about experiencing it for yourself is used often by people (not meaning you) who don't want direct/honest investigation/discussion of their experience. "You won't believe me unless you experience it" is an excuse and a demand which translates as "stop questioning me about my experience." That statement is designed to stops critical thought and further examination. If critical thought is stopped are we to believe everyone who relates a story as fact, especially when it stretches the bounds of reason or common sense? It's a false statement and an attempt to for the teller to regain control.

There are things that everyone doesn't have to experience for themselves to know or accept as fact. Example, I don't need to stick my finger in a light socket to know that it may kill me and I don't need to prove electricity it's already been done. I've never had anyone say well, you won't understand electricity until you experience it first hand. That's daft! I can learn about it and understand it because others have experienced dire effects of electricity, examined it, can explain how it works, why it can kill you and under what circumstances it can kill you. We won't be able to do that with paranormal/extraordinary experiences unless we question, examine and rule out what isn't a paranormal experience. Yes this includes misidentification, illness physical or mental), hoaxes/fraud or other explanations.

Mabon.

Edit for typo. I'm sure I missed others. LOL!

Edited by Mabon
  • Like 1

Even if the photo/video was real many won't accept it and can't blame them because manipulating it is so easy. I think you would have to experience it yourself to really believe in it.

To some extent, sure. But you have to realize that most of what gets posted around here has such questionable province that it's almost laughable.