Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Something Really Odd

Miss Shadows

First of all, I am in no way seeking advice or suggestions that might prompt or influence medical decisions on my part. I just want to see if anyone has any insights on what this might be, or if they've heard of/seen anything similar. If it is something medical, it could be genetic, seeing as there are at least 2 other family members I know that have had this same thing.

I have an uncle and a deceased grandmother, both on the same side of the family, who don't/didn't sleep more than 4 hours a night, and basically won't/wouldn't eat more than let's say half a plate of pasta, or 8 handfuls of chips in an entire day. Assuming they're/they were just going about their typical day to day things, this was just their 'norm', versus something religious or health-related in choice, etc. I'm the exact same way. If I'm just doing college/work/typical life, I won't sleep more than 5 hours, and I'm set on a bowl of oatmeal, or a couple hardboiled eggs for the entire day.

I know that's pretty abnormal, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what that might be, whether it's health related or not.

PS for what it's worth, my grandma, uncle, and I are of varying ages, heights and weights. I'm in relatively good health currently, except for minor cancer and compromised lungs.

• Like 1

I'm kinda the opposite: I get at least ten and sometimes up to twelve hours of solid sleep every night, and never have any problem dozing off (such as on an airplane). People tell me sleeping so much is unhealthy, but I just kinda assume that is the way I am. My opinion is that we are all different in many ways.

Since I'm diabetic my diet is another matter and carefully controlled.

It's nothing abnormal, some athletes live of four hours of sleep a night. I did it for years, once your body adjusts it's very easy. I've also live'd on two meals a day, and other time's I've been eaten like four lol. It's all about adjustment, if your body adjusts to your lifestyle and your healthy, there is nothing wrong.

Unless you start getting ill, don't worry about it.

I love my sleep, 4 hours and I'd be dead. Though as a late teen I could do it most nights (busy dancing).

They were actually talking about this on the radio the other day and said people like Donald Trump etc all record only needing 4 hrs of sleep a day. They had quite a few callers ringing in saying they too had trained themselves to do it.

First of all, I am in no way seeking advice or suggestions that might prompt or influence medical decisions on my part. I just want to see if anyone has any insights on what this might be, or if they've heard of/seen anything similar. If it is something medical, it could be genetic, seeing as there are at least 2 other family members I know that have had this same thing.

I have an uncle and a deceased grandmother, both on the same side of the family, who don't/didn't sleep more than 4 hours a night, and basically won't/wouldn't eat more than let's say half a plate of pasta, or 8 handfuls of chips in an entire day. Assuming they're/they were just going about their typical day to day things, this was just their 'norm', versus something religious or health-related in choice, etc. I'm the exact same way. If I'm just doing college/work/typical life, I won't sleep more than 5 hours, and I'm set on a bowl of oatmeal, or a couple hardboiled eggs for the entire day.

I know that's pretty abnormal, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what that might be, whether it's health related or not.

PS for what it's worth, my grandma, uncle, and I are of varying ages, heights and weights. I'm in relatively good health currently, except for minor cancer and compromised lungs.

I don't suppose there's any chance of us getting married, is there? You'd be cheap to feed and be able to get loads of work done on the farm! Please tell me you'll consider it! s11929.gif

• Like 7

I personally sleep only 4 hours a night, sometimes 5 hours although I never sleep longer than an hour at any time, then I am awake for from about 15mins to a couple of hours before I eventually fall back off again and the process is repeated.. God knows how my lovely wife has lived with this.

I can also go the whole day before I think that I need something to eat, but I do need my morning coffee.

• Like 2

X, do you wake your wife? Maybe she just sleeps through it now.

I'd be dead on your sleep routine lol.

• Like 1

X, do you wake your wife? Maybe she just sleeps through it now.

I'd be dead on your sleep routine lol.

T, sometimes I wake her up but only when I am restless and trying to fall back to sleep but she is used to me now after 25yrs together.

With the sleep thing aside which can be quite normal (each individuals needs are different), the food situation is strange.

Two hard boiled eggs and a bowl of oatmeal would be a very very low calorie diet if this is the standard every day. Probably 500 calories at most, assuming it was a big bowl of oatmeal.

Although 500 calories a day every now and again wouldn't cause problems for most, if most people followed that every day they would end up extremely underweight and quite ill after long enough. 500 calories a day and less is the kind of calories an anorexic person would eat, and eventually they usually lose hair and their periods would stop.

Do you feel ok with eating so few calories? Do you have enough energy and not too underweight?

• Like 1

I won't sleep more than 5 hours, .

4 hours sleep while on the low side is probably ok so long as you aren't falling asleep during the day. Your body will tell you if you need more sleep

I'm set on a bowl of oatmeal, or a couple hardboiled eggs for the entire day.

*snip* I'm in relatively good health currently, except for minor cancer and compromised lungs.

(bold mine)

I think you need to be assessed IRL by a nutritionist. Oatmeal and hardboiled eggs while not bad for you certainly do not offer you the nutrition that you require to keep your body healthy.

• Like 1

I'm the same way about food. Last night for dinner I had a plum and about an ounce of cheese. If I didn't cook for my husband I wouldn't bother at all. Even then I only take a couple of bites while preparing a meal. It used to worry him, but I've been eating like that most of my life. Fortunately, I do really like to cook and he likes to eat even though he is skinny as a rail. Most of the calories I consume are from fruit juices, milk or other liquids.

Dotty, I went to a nutritionist once and he gave me a recommended diet of about eight times what I could actually eat. I didn't even bother trying to follow it. I would have felt like a beached whale. :lol:

lol@Michelle If only he included peach schnapps on the menu plan :P

I would mostly agree with you that it should be no problem except for the following statement that she made

I'm in relatively good health currently, except for minor cancer and compromised lungs.

That tells me that she should be making a point of eating healthy, healing foods because oatmeal and boiled eggs aren't going to cut it

• Like 1

I never have a full nights sleep. Always go to sleep for about 2 hours, up for an hour, get a cup of coffee and then back to sleep for around 4. Yep, coffee, it makes me relax!

• Like 1

Woahhh, wait a minute, I was obviously a bit unclear. The eggs and oatmeal thing was an example, not by any means a whole overview of my diet. I like seafood, vegetables and fruits, grains. I've never been to a dietician before, and I've never really had reason to be concerned. I'm approximately 5'2 and about 100 or 105 pounds. I'm slender but curvy, and in the past when I have talked to doctors about what I eat, I've always gotten good remarks in medical opinions. Whether it's protein, carbs, fiber, sugars, vitamins etc, or any combination, the thing I was calling into question was the quantity. My weight is fine, and I've spoken to more than one doctor about aspects of what caused the cancer, as well as how to recover. The former has had nothing to do with my diet in the first place, and the latter hasn't been inhibited by it. Really I just find it strange how little I need to eat, but it's never been a health issue. My energy levels are great and there's nothing else I can really see from it.

• Like 1

lol@Michelle If only he included peach schnapps on the menu plan :P

I see you focused on the "other liquids". I do like a White Russian before bed and it does have milk. :innocent::P

But seriously, I've always had a small appetite and a very active life. If her doctors don't find anything off, there isn't any reason to worry is there? You just wanted to know how weird it is didn't you, HRFB? It's not so weird at all...

I see you focused on the "other liquids". I do like a White Russian before bed and it does have milk. :innocent::P

But seriously, I've always had a small appetite and a very active life. If her doctors don't find anything off, there isn't any reason to worry is there? You just wanted to know how weird it is didn't you, HRFB? It's not so weird at all...

Well I know how weird they are on here about giving medical opinions, but I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this, read any articles, knew a family member like this, etc.

Well, if you want odd...

For over 7 years now I usually go 24 to 36 hours without sleep. When I do sleep the most is 6 hours, with 4 hours being the norm. The only noticeable physical effect to this is a drop in my blood platelet count, as determined by my physician at the cancer clinic.

I'm not sure if this relates to this, but 4 years ago it was discovered that I have a wildly fluctuating white blood cell count (hence the visits to the cancer clinic). Several bone marrow biopsies have determined that I do not have leukemia, however both my personal physician nor the doctors at the cancer clinic have any explanation as to why this is happening.

So in just my simple opinion, I would suggest that you don't worry too much about it and try to maintain a healthy diet and exercise. Seriously, you don't want to end up like me. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry....

• Like 2

I would be a zombie if I only slept 4 hours a night. I have to have at least 7 hours, preferably 8 to 9. As far as food little meals work better for me. If I eat too much at once I would be sick. When I first wake up all I want is coffee. It takes a couple of hours before I want anything to eat.