Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY court: Inmates can keep child visit rights

BiffSplitkins

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York's highest court says parents don't lose child visitation rights in prison.

The Court of Appeals says Shawn Granger is entitled to periodic four-hour prison visits with his 4-year-old son.

Granger's attorney sued after the child's mother refused to bring him.

A Family Court judge found that Granger, imprisoned at Clinton Correctional Facility on drug charges, was involved in the child's life "in a meaningful way" before.

READ MORE

I am sorry but I think that bringing a child to a prison for a visit is something that BOTH parents need to agree on.

When this guy gets out of prison I hope the mother walks up to him and kicks him square in the nuts.

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

Why would you want your child to visit you in prison? I agree with the mother.

• Like 3

Why would you want your child to visit you in prison? I agree with the mother.

Absolutely. Why is it that prisoners seem to have more rights these days than free people.

Right to education, right to free legal counsil, right to free medical care... it's truly sickening.

• Like 2

When this guy gets out of prison I hope the mother walks up to him and kicks him square in the nuts.

I hope she then goes to jail for it and he doesn't let the child go to visit her.

Why should you be denied the right to see your own children just because you are in jail?

And why should the children be denied seeing one of their parents for such a length of time?

I hope she then goes to jail for it and he doesn't let the child go to visit her.

Why should you be denied the right to see your own children just because you are in jail?

And why should the children be denied seeing one of their parents for such a length of time?

Okay, since we are on a matter of choice.... Why wouldn't you take your children to a McDonald's in a neighborhood notoriously known for it's gang activity over your local McDonald's that is in a neighborhood that is relatively safe?

See my point now?

Kid's can't see the difference between right and wrong at a young age. If you expose them to too much wrong at that age, it only makes explaining the difference more difficult as they get older.

Absolutely. Why is it that prisoners seem to have more rights these days than free people.

Right to education, right to free legal counsil, right to free medical care... it's truly sickening.

Sounds to me that he has the same rights to see his child as he had before. Not more.

Sounds to me that he has the same rights to see his child as he had before. Not more.

Then you don't even know the first about prisoners.

Yes, they get free everything, because any "inhumane" practice towards these criminals will be fussed upon countlessly.

I think that prisons should be like Russian prisons.

The prisons of America are rather ridiculous. I don't think these inmates should be allowed time to flirt about and commerce with others.. They shouldn't have anything but basic human survival. They shouldn't be allowed to talk with other inmates and discuss such-and-such and they shouldn't be allowed to such a free imprisoned existence.

If you watch the freaking American lock ups versus the Russians, you would see the difference.

It's a tight rope to discuss. But, they gave up their rights when they became criminal. (Mostly speaking of killers here.)

I'm still disgusted at how freely the U.S. allows their prisoners(in certain places) to have a social network among themselves. It's like a social network for them, all for fun.

Then you don't even know the first about prisoners.

Yes, they get free everything, because any "inhumane" practice towards these criminals will be fussed upon countlessly.

I think that prisons should be like Russian prisons.

The prisons of America are rather ridiculous. I don't think these inmates should be allowed time to flirt about and commerce with others.. They shouldn't have anything but basic human survival. They shouldn't be allowed to talk with other inmates and discuss such-and-such and they shouldn't be allowed to such a free imprisoned existence.

If you watch the freaking American lock ups versus the Russians, you would see the difference.

It's a tight rope to discuss. But, they gave up their rights when they became criminal. (Mostly speaking of killers here.)

I'm still disgusted at how freely the U.S. allows their prisoners(in certain places) to have a social network among themselves. It's like a social network for them, all for fun.

You should have read my post better. It was only a couple of lines - not too taxing.

I stated he has the same rights as before in regards to seeing his child. Not more - which was the point of the post I was replying to. I made no value judgement on that fact, merely pointed it out.

Your argument is a valid one, but an irrelevant response to my post.

You should have read my post better. It was only a couple of lines - not too taxing.

I stated he has the same rights as before in regards to seeing his child. Not more - which was the point of the post I was replying to. I made no value judgement on that fact, merely pointed it out.

Your argument is a valid one, but an irrelevant response to my post.

True, my friend.

I tend to look too deep into things.

I don't think he/she should be able to see the child for the permanent guilt or hurt it will manifest.

They shouldn't have as much freedom as they have. As much as the freedom that most have now, they are pretty much free.

It's ridiculous. The United States is so torn apart that they don't know how to punish criminals without others telling them it is so wrong to not let the prisoners have rights.

Criminals only have the rights to breathe, eat, sleep, exercise, and shower, for all I'm concerned. I wrote a great length on it, but I was erased due to another posting. Wonderful.

The U.S. is lazy. I'm proud of what this country was. It used to be something.. Look at it now. The world is **** because this country has granted personal freedoms for certain groups below the means of what keeps the country going. They won't say stop.

The U.S seems to have lost sight of itself.

We don't even have a leader, just some fool who gets the most likes.

Idiocracy before you know it.

Edited by AliveInDeath7

I think it should be the mother's choice until the child is at an age where he can decide for himself if he would like to visit his father because bad exposure for children could lead to more problems later on in life.

However as for the him having the same right's I don't quite agree, he may still get to see the child but it will be always in a sad way where as before he could hug his child and take him out to a movie or something.

He has ruined any potential future for him and his child to be together in a joyous way it will all lead to sadness. I think if the father truly care about his kid he would not try to bring him to his horrible situation that he has created and let his child move on and have some peace of mind.

Edited by Xzenox

I think it should be the mother's choice until the child is at an age where he can decide for himself if he would like to visit his father because bad exposure for children could lead to more problems later on in life.

However as for the him having the same right's I don't quite agree, he may still get to see the child but it will be always in a sad way where as before he could hug his child and take him out to a movie or something.

He has ruined any potential future for him and his child to be together in a joyous way it will all lead to sadness. I think if the father truly care about his kid he would not try to bring him to his horrible situation that he has created and let his child move on and have some peace of mind.

Very true. He can't maintain the same quality of relationship he had. The consequences of any crime extend beyond the perpetrator and victim.

As for it being the mother's decision. Fair enough. But, these decisions should have one priority - what's in the best interest of the child? Courts should be there to ensure that, and prevent any adult from prioritising their own interests before the child's.

True, my friend.

I tend to look too deep into things.

I don't think he/she should be able to see the child for the permanent guilt or hurt it will manifest.

They shouldn't have as much freedom as they have. As much as the freedom that most have now, they are pretty much free.

It's ridiculous. The United States is so torn apart that they don't know how to punish criminals without others telling them it is so wrong to not let the prisoners have rights.

Criminals only have the rights to breathe, eat, sleep, exercise, and shower, for all I'm concerned. I wrote a great length on it, but I was erased due to another posting. Wonderful.

The U.S. is lazy. I'm proud of what this country was. It used to be something.. Look at it now. The world is **** because this country has granted personal freedoms for certain groups below the means of what keeps the country going. They won't say stop.

The U.S seems to have lost sight of itself.

We don't even have a leader, just some fool who gets the most likes.

Idiocracy before you know it.

I see your point. But I genuinely believe the measure of a civilised society is on how it treats those that offend against it.

Kid's can't see the difference between right and wrong at a young age. If you expose them to too much wrong at that age, it only makes explaining the difference more difficult as they get older.

well firstly I wouldn't take my kids to mcdonalds in the first place, regardless of the location.

But what a stupid argument that is anyway.

What are you going to do about the kids who actually live in these bad areas with gang activity?

Should they be removed from their families for their own good?