Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NBA's Jason Collins comes out as gay

Commander CMG

NBA player Jason Collins has said it is "mind-boggling" to be the first active male athlete in a major sport in the US to come out as gay.

In an interview with ABC News, Collins said he hoped other professional athletes would now follow his lead.

On Monday, he declared in Sports Illustrated: "I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay."

The 7ft basketball player has been inundated with messages of support from across the world of sport and politics.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Yeah saw this on the TV,why is this such a big deal in the USA.

Is North America Homophobic ?

Edited by shaddow134

Fair play to him.

It's funny that this guy might have felt worried about coming out, he is 7ft tall for christ's sake.

• Like 2

Yeah saw this on the TV,why is this such a big deal in the USA.

Is North America Homophobic ?

Not where I live.

In the end this will only be viewed as a good thing in years to come.

Fair play to him.

It's funny that this guy might have felt worried about coming out, he is 7ft tall for christ's sake.

Why do people think just cos your bigger than most you should be tougher on the inside than most?

Im bigger than average and find that others(small people) think for some reason im mentally tougher than average.

Nothing but sizeist!

Anyway, whats so unexplained about someone "coming out"?

Why do people think just cos your bigger than most you should be tougher on the inside than most?

Im bigger than average and find that others(small people) think for some reason im mentally tougher than average.

Nothing but sizeist!

Anyway, whats so unexplained about someone "coming out"?

I only meant it as a light hearted comment, I apologise most sincerely. :)

I can imagine, well actually I can't to be honest, what coming out as the only homosexual in major American sports must be like. A time for courage if ever there was one.

Wonder if he'll be considered the Jackie Robinson for gays

Big difference, at least to me. There have been gays playing sports for years, just not "openly" gay. There were not any "closet" blacks in the Major Leagues. Everyone is treating this as a big deal, but I just don't get it. Who cares what your sexual orientation is? I only care if you are a good player and/or if you play for a team I like.

• Like 1

I only meant it as a light hearted comment, I apologise most sincerely. :)

I can imagine, well actually I can't to be honest, what coming out as the only homosexual in major American sports must be like. A time for courage if ever there was one.

Not the only one, just the only one to come out while still active (if not being on a team is considered active). I'm sure there are others.

Good for him. It's a shame that it gets made such a big deal out of it really, his sexual preference does not effect the way he plays sports one little bit so shouldn't be anyone's business.

But glad he feels he can be open about it, and hopefully others who have perhaps felt they had to hide it will now feel it no longer has to be hidden.

Not the only one, just the only one to come out while still active (if not being on a team is considered active). I'm sure there are others.

That's what I meant to say. :lol:

I'll be quite content when the world gets over their naive, close-minded views on being gay. It's becoming quite mundane.

• Like 2

I wonder how his teammates will feel about him bouncing his balls all over the locker room now?

• Like 1

At the chance of making an unpopular statement, why does he feel the need to interject his sexuality into the mix? What does this have to do with basketball for crying out loud? I have heard rumors that there were homosexuals in the NBA and the NFL since the 70's and could care less. I seriously doubt that once you're at the level of being paid millions to win for your team that your sex life is an issue with you team mates, coaches, referees, or the league.

Attention whore or ground breaking civil rights model? You make the call. Just BS IMO.

Edit to add, I've got a slight case of the flu and it's making me grouchy, can you tell?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Good for him and it took courage.

Doesn't it really take courage to be a gay, 7' tall black mans' boyfriend? :cry: That's gotta hurt.

• Like 1

First it was tolerance.

Then it was acceptance.

Now it's praise.

Is participation next?

• Like 2

First it was tolerance.

Then it was acceptance.

Now it's praise.

Is participation next?

Yep... Better watch out or you'll get the cooties.

If it makes you feel better, most learned that blueprint from the christians. Too bad ancient Romans didn't keep with their original convictions, huh?

I can relate to your conviction quote, as I have absolutely no tolerance for intolerant individuals.

I too don't see the need to praise your innate sexual attractions.

Congratulations! Your sexual attractions are in the minority! This is a momentous moment!

Edit. Imagine if you had a car fetish, latex fetish or both, where you can only get off while in a car covered in latex. Would you be as comfortable with others "coming out" about that particular sexual attraction? Would there be a need to "come out"?

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 1

I think he just did it to get a job, he averages 1.1 points per game and only played in 7 games last year, this year if he hadnt come out he would have been out of a job, but since he came out and the media is hyping this thing up he is sure to get a job somewhere just so the NBA can say they arent anti gay.

Edited by dmurdock36
  • Like 2

First it was tolerance.

Then it was acceptance.

Now it's praise.

Is participation next?

I think you got this a little backwards. I agree with others here that it shouldn't be a big deal. But the fact that it is shows that we might be getting better at the 'tolerance' part, but we've a way to go with the 'acceptance'. When, as a society, we manage this then people wouldn't feel the need to 'praise' this individual - it just wouldn't be a big deal. But, we're not there, yet.

• Like 1

All over the TV I see people talking about how young black kids need quality black role models so they can identify with them, and jewish, or handicapped or anything. Something a kid can relate to so they can more easily look up to the person I guess. Why can't gay kids have the same attitude about role models for them?

Who cares if he's gay? I don't. But maybe some young kid struggling with his sexuality does. Maybe he can look up to this tall, athletic, manly guy and realize there's someone out there like him.

What the heck's wrong with that?

Edited by Purplos
  • Like 6

I too don't see the need to praise your innate sexual attractions.

Congratulations! Your sexual attractions are in the minority! This is a momentous moment!

Edit. Imagine if you had a car fetish, latex fetish or both, where you can only get off while in a car covered in latex. Would you be as comfortable with others "coming out" about that particular sexual attraction? Would there be a need to "come out"?

I personally wouldn't care one way or the other. It's also not the same thing, as homosexuals are attracted to other humans, and it's human equality I'm sticking up for. If you want to have some sexual relationship with your car, lamp, house, etc, more power to you. If you're trying to parlay that attraction to an inanimate object into the object having the same treatment as a human, then you'll have a valid comparison. If that were to happen, you and I will be on the same side.

Bottom line for any issue to all: If something someone does 'bothers' you, and they aren't doing anything to you, then that's your issue, not theirs. If this guy coming out bothers you, that's your problem. If the dude in your neighborhood has sexual relations with his latex covered car and announces it to the world, if that bothers you, that's your problem.

I personally wouldn't care one way or the other. It's also not the same thing, as homosexuals are attracted to other humans, and it's human equality I'm sticking up for. If you want to have some sexual relationship with your car, lamp, house, etc, more power to you. If you're trying to parlay that attraction to an inanimate object into the object having the same treatment as a human, then you'll have a valid comparison. If that were to happen, you and I will be on the same side.

Bottom line for any issue to all: If something someone does 'bothers' you, and they aren't doing anything to you, then that's your issue, not theirs. If this guy coming out bothers you, that's your problem. If the dude in your neighborhood has sexual relations with his latex covered car and announces it to the world, if that bothers you, that's your problem.

It doesn't bother me at all.

I was just pointing out that there are many other sexual attractions that involve consenting adults and/or inanimate objects. Shouldn't a young person with that type of sexual attraction have a strong role model too?

All i am saying is that it is your personal sex life, why make it public?

Edit. That goes for straights too

Edited by Professor Buzzkill
  • Like 2