Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama says Guantanamo Bay prison must close

Commander CMG

US President Barack Obama has pledged a new push to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, amid a growing prisoner hunger strike there.

At the White House, Mr Obama said the detention centre was "contrary to who we are" and harmful to US interests.

He cited recent convictions of terror suspects to argue the civilian justice system was adequate for such trials.

Congress has blocked efforts to close the prison, but Mr Obama said he would renew discussions with lawmakers.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 2

It's sad that anything positive Obama says instantly makes me sceptical. :unsure2:

• Like 6

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath, though...

• Like 4

Welcome back 2008! Empty promises! Vacant looks as he tries to read the teleprompter! He's back!

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 4

Can he walk the walk and not just talk the talk

• Like 2

Congress has blocked efforts to close the prison

• Like 4

Hopefully it is closed soon but at this stage we are going to face repercussions either way.

If we don't close it the extremists will quietly operate against us without stopping.

If we do close it the stories of the prisoners will get out and will cause public sentiment to spike against us which will give a boost to the extremists temporarily.

Deescalation is the wiser course.

Congress has blocked efforts to close the prison

Odrama said he would close it. He can... but he won't. Why? Because he's one of them. A two bit car salesman but this one has some flash. He wows people.... has flare.

And it's all an act.

All of it.... from the media to his pen.

And that's all I have to say about that.

• Like 5

Secretly implant GPS chips into them; then simply let them go. We could hone in on their signal and force feed them one of these.

That way we don't look like Mengele down there.

• Like 2

Asymmetrical warfare always fosters a sense in the underdogs of not giving up and offering more blowback.

You should have played the videos where they sing as they kill, or where they kill Reuters reports who are non-combatants, or even the ones of Blackwater contractors in humvees running women over or pushing civilian cars off the road for phone causing massive damage.

Those always are wonderful PR for us!

Surely, regarding the detainees already cleared for transfer or release, he doesn't need congressional approval? They're free to leave the base once DoD confirms it.

Obama can rid himself of up to half the population of Guantanamo, all he needs to do is tell Chuck to get signing.

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 2

I believe Gitmo was justified. But detaining people forever without trial is completely unacceptable. Those who pose too great a risk to release, who have been guilty of killing or helping to kill soldiers should be speedily brought to military tribunal and executed. The rest should indeed be "chipped" and released. If they are id'd on a battlefield again they should be executed without delay - PERIOD. A nation at war that is worried about it's appearance to others who are not sending their sons and daughters ...should not be at war to begin with. War is about killing and destroying an enemy's will to fight. It's either all in or stay all out.

• Like 3

If I were Obama I would tell Congress that they either stop blocking the moving of the prisoners or I would sign an executive order releasing them all. After all, there is nothing much left they can do to him, they can only screw the people a little more.

Edited by questionmark

I enjoyed Jay Leno's take on it.

Just have obama declare it a small business and tax the s#%t out of it. It'll close its doors in no time.

• Like 2

The chip idea is not the brightest.

They could remove it in 5 minutes in a clinic.

This is not an episode of Nikita with kill chips and the like that would cause an explosion in your brain if you tried to tamper with it....

I heard this earlier today. Ugh. Why? I don't want those monsters here!

arrow3.gifView: Read more

You absolutely gotta love this guy.

He pledges to do something, doesn't do it, then pledges to do it again to all kinds of fanfare and praise.

Rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

You don't half kill your enemy; because, having one foot in the grave he can petition assistance from the other side..

The Angel of Death is not opposed to granting last wishes, and in a lingering death, there's time for many.

The media attention isn't the greatest danger. Prolonging their death, is.

The U.S. military would be better off force feeding them Christian Bible verses, than food.