Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My ongoing experience with Sufism

illuminatedTemplar

I am currently have an a very interesting experience with Sufism and I am starting to believe it is the truth.

I am 19 years old and I am currently Biblical Unitarian do I am very pluralist and believe there is more paths to heaven than just being a "Christian". Maybe the reason for this is that I am Half Turkish Cypriot (Dad) and Half Jamaican (Mum) so Half of my Family are Muslims. Do my Dad is a Biblical Unitarian ,he Converted when he was around 18, he never practised Islam so he is not to knowledgeable in it.

I identify with my Turkish side way more than my Jamaican side I love everything about it the culture , people and the pride that comes with being a Turk. So being a Christian I feel so alone being one of the only Turks and also believing Jesus is not God as you may know most Christians believe in the Trinity.

Do I have a diverse background I have not grown up in a diverse culture it pretty much been Modern British/Christian Culture for me.

I have never feel like Christianity carries a strong identity like Judaism and Islam does. It seems no one even cares or follows any of the Traditions of the Bible and instead follow pagan traditions.

So I began my Journey in looking into other faiths I started off with Judaism as it was the faith of Jesus and I loved it but it just had something missing. I still love Judaism and highly respect their faith but I moved on.

I then started looking deeper into Islam and found out about Sufism I looked into this a bit more and was so fascinated how different they are from the Muslims I am used to seeing around where I live. I said to my Dad wow if ever I ever became Muslim I would be a Sufi. It kind of ended there I thought that my need for an identity would pass and I would remain a Christian. A few weeks later my Dad got a call from one of his Turkish Cypriot friends who is also a Christian (Trinitarian) he had set up a Turkish Cypriot Christian fellowship and wanted us to attend. I have gone a few times and liked it (somewhat) but there is only about 8-10 of them and none of them are really my age so I have boned the best with them.

A few weeks after going to that fellowship I went to Turkish Lessons and met an Iranian guy who I got talking to and eventually he asked me what religion I was and I replied "I am Christian and that my Dad is a Convert to Christianity" he was a little surprised but he told me I should come along to this "Traditional Turkish Cypriot Music Society" I said I would love to. But then a few minutes later I just told him "But If I was to be a Muslim I would be a Sufi" He then acted really surprised and said "This is it this what the Turkish Cypriot Music Society is it is a Sufi order ... It is what I do I am Sufi" I then agreed to differently come along.

A few weeks late I attended the Sufi Zikr session and meet other Turkish Cypriots and must say I loved it and I really felt at home. I loved the spirituality and love for God (in fact the teachings closely resemble Christianity as it is all about having a relationship with God) after attending this I had 3 separate dreams on 3 separate days. The first I was in my living room praying (prostrating) with my parents but they were standing up and I was praying in the opposite direction to them ,The second I entered the Blue Mosque in Istanbul and prayed there. The Third I can not clearly remember but I was in a Mosque which I think was in Bosnia or Kosovo. But I just passed them off as coincidences.

The Zikr Session was much like this one:

Later on I found out that the same Sufi Order I went to which is Naqshbandi is the same order my family belongs to back in Cyprus. My Cousin is a very active Sufi in the order. My Granddad is a sufi but is old and unable to practise. So was my great Granddad (he even went on Hajj to Mecca). A few weeks later I started waking up at 4:30am each day. Most of the Times when I woke up I prayed to God which I Usually do by saying the Our Father on my knees and then a personal prayer.

But the last time I woke up at 4:30am I woke up to the sound of Azan which is Islamic Call for prayer in my ear which stopped as soon as I woke up I was in a bit of shock especially as before I went to sleep I prayed and asked God to direct to the true path but I prayed anyway. This was about 2 weeks ago.

But yes this is my current experience with Sufism and who knows I may soon be a Sufi. Do you guys/girls have any opinons on my experience ? Have any similar experience maybe with another faith ?

Edited by illuminatedTemplar
  • Like 3

Sufism is one of many very ancient mysteries of the human spiritual experience ...

safe journey ... and god speed a return to ye ...

• Like 1

I just hate personal testimonials. I figure bunkum, but of course one never knows. It is not a fair thing to do.

As someone who has had experience in dreams becoming reality I can only offer this. The fact that you dreamed your future direction does not indicate you were guided in the right or wrong direction for the future, it merely indicates that you are headed into a particular future path. That is very important to understand.

I wish you insight and comprehension in your journeys whereever they may lead you.

• Like 2

Okay thank you guys. It is not the dreams that got me it was hearing the azan in my ear which woke me up which has had an impact. I still don't know if I shall embark on this Journey of Sufi Spirituality I still have some studying of the Qu'ran to do and see if it sits well with me.

But another thing that really gets me about Sufism is that it reminds a lot of the Jedis of Star wars ,expect no cool light saber, and I love Star wars

I have also now looked a bit into Gnostic Christianity but it does seem to carry the same atttraction for me.

483280_601644909863347_214211447_n.jpg

the journey continues as long as you are on it still ....

• Like 3

Thank you that is actually very inspiring . I guess just have to wait and see if this is the path for me. My one worry is if I converted would be my parents and their recaction

• Like 1

It is not coincidance that in your dreams ears bosnia and turkey. The latter is your roots. As of bosnia, well, bosnian muslims are sunnies, BUT, the escense of their religious behavior is Sufism. We have religious songs, much like the african american, inspired partly by the Quran and partly by our feelings about God. These are called Illahis and Kasidas. Turkish muslims have that too but it is not realy present in other muslim societis.

Also, our religious way is very liberal. Most bosnian muslims like the social life with a nice cold beer or a hot bosnian coffee.

As for y our thoughts about converting or not, well, it realy does not metter what you are but who you are. Also if you are converting you should do it for the right reasons and not for the wrong reasons. I am not implicating anything but I am sick and tired of the new converts to islam and the born again muslims who use islam for their own sick desires. Hope you understand. Good luck finding your path.

• Like 2

I guess just have to wait and see if this is the path for me. My one worry is if I converted would be my parents and their reaction

Well..at some point you will have to muster the strength to do what is right for you and, as long as you are not hurting yourself or others, not worry about what your family thinks.

Don't wait until you are my age (41) and still feeling like one is doing something wrong for choosing for oneself.

LibstaK is right though, all your dreams are reflecting is that you are choosing your own path and your parents are on another...nothing more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My feelings right now can be summed up with a quote from Elif Shfak "Because that is what Sufism does to you, it makes you erase what you know, what you are so sure of. And then start thinking again. Not with your mind this time, but with your heart".

Even do I am not Muslim (yet?) I feel as Sufism is Orginal Islam. I can't look at Islam now without Sufism it just does not feel complete. I also relise I had a lot of misconceptions of Islam in the past. I guess I never looked it without a bias until now.

• Like 2

The beginning of this video reminds me of Spirit-filled Christian worship, of Hasidics praying, and of witches dancing.

I know paganism loves to find itself rejected by some but it is not so far away from all these other things. Music, art, creation (of who we are) is awesome.

Well your story is awesome, follow your instinct, follow the messages you have received in dreams (while partly agreeing with LibstaK for me dreams can be guiding messages too, clues and answers from the Universe, as well as just from our own mind telling us what we already have chosen), and surrender to spirit and God in the best and most peaceful way possible.

Never been a Muslim, never had anything against Islam, even as the dominate narrative in the West is not kind to them, always knew that I could be a Muslim, especially if it was part of my heritage. Already 10 minutes into the video and it is awesome. Something about it speaks to me, calls me, and is calming and assuring as well as energetic and uplifting, all at once.Thanks for sharing and thanks to everyone else for sharing your views.

Edit: just finished the whole video; liked the parts in my common tongue, English, and it is not really important the parts I disagreed with, the rest of the experience was wonderful.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

The beginning of this video reminds me of Spirit-filled Christian worship, of Hasidics praying, and of witches dancing.

I know paganism loves to find itself rejected by some but it is not so far away from all these other things. Music, art, creation (of who we are) is awesome.

Well your story is awesome, follow your instinct, follow the messages you have received in dreams (while partly agreeing with LibstaK for me dreams can be guiding messages too, clues and answers from the Universe, as well as just from our own mind telling us what we already have chosen), and surrender to spirit and God in the best and most peaceful way possible.

Never been a Muslim, never had anything against Islam, even as the dominate narrative in the West is not kind to them, always knew that I could be a Muslim, especially if it was part of my heritage. Already 10 minutes into the video and it is awesome. Something about it speaks to me, calls me, and is calming and assuring as well as energetic and uplifting, all at once.Thanks for sharing and thanks to everyone else for sharing your views.

Edit: just finished the whole video; liked the parts in my common tongue, English, and it is not really important the parts I disagreed with, the rest of the experience was wonderful.

I agree when I went I was surprised with the similarities Sufism has with Christianity. Even do I don't agree 100% with their views, which is common in any faith we all have our own views, there is something about this Zikr that makes me continue to want to go.

Another thing that I noticed about Islam and Judaism is that it seems to go a bit deeper theological speaking than Christianity which also a big attraction for me for some reason. Before I make a final decision I would love the chance to experience Spiritual Judaism and see the similarities see if it caries the same spirit.

Edited by illuminatedTemplar