Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paranormal investigation and the darkness.

Alisdair.MacDonald

I open this up to believers and skeptics alike.

While investigating the paranormal, why do ghost hunters always turn out the lights?

If you're trying to capture evidence, wouldn't it be better to keep the lights on?

Or is it something about the darkness that make ghouls and ghosts more active?

We have a natural fear of the dark as human beings. While trying to be 'scientific' (i use that word loosely) wouldn't it make more sense to eliminate the possibility of one's mind being influenced by our own imagination?

Not to be rude, but this exact question has been posted several times (once by me hahah) fairly recently. There really is not "good" reason other than lowering your ability to use your 5 senses.

In fact more ghost "sightings" and encounters have actually been reported in daylight hours. Maids working at bed and breakfast, tour guide strolling through the west wing of the museum etc etc.

Ghost hunters will say things like - it's quieter so there is less interference, or ghosts use "energy" to appear and it's harder to see them in light conditions. They will give lots of reasons, none of which have basis in fact.

The TV shows do it for one reason and one reason alone, DRAMATIC impact.

• Like 1

Not to be rude, but this exact question has been posted several times (once by me hahah) fairly recently. There really is not "good" reason other than lowering your ability to use your 5 senses.

In fact more ghost "sightings" and encounters have actually been reported in daylight hours. Maids working at bed and breakfast, tour guide strolling through the west wing of the museum etc etc.

Ghost hunters will say things like - it's quieter so there is less interference, or ghosts use "energy" to appear and it's harder to see them in light conditions. They will give lots of reasons, none of which have basis in fact.

If you have to preface your statement with "not to be rude" then you're probably being rude, and you know it.

That is why there are moderators. To merge topics.

..but, thankfully, there is always someone like you, to let us know.

No it really wasn't meant to be rude, just saying if you'd like further input on the topic, you can search for it!

I meant it when I said I posed the exact same question, so I was literallly not meaning to be rude. And as it turned out, I also wasn't the first to ask that same question. It's a very valid and logical question to ask. Truly sorry if you thought I was "lying" or being disingeneous in my first reply.

Actually, being quieter at night vs. the day is a fact...People be sleepin'.

While I concede that, there is no evidence to suggest that a quieter enrvironment yields greater ghost rewards! That's all I was alluding to. In fact there is a good deal of evidence to suggest that when the human mind hears things when our other senses are impeded, it tends to fill in the blanks for us, with stuff like spookies!

I suppose quieter is as good a reason I have heard so far. Although that is debatable, depending on your location.

No it really wasn't meant to be rude, just saying if you'd like further input on the topic, you can search for it!

Honestly though, why does it matter to you? It obviously mattered enough that you thought you'd be 'helpful' enough to remind me of the unspoken form rules? The point is, there is no reason to bring it up. Either contribute something to the thread or don't.

I'm working, something comes up and i thought I would give a quick post about the topic while I have time. I'm sorry i offended you for not properly researching the topic. You're right. That is totally on me, i will try harder next time to adhere to these strict policies. I'm just saying.

I open this up to believers and skeptics alike.

While investigating the paranormal, why do ghost hunters always turn out the lights?

If you're trying to capture evidence, wouldn't it be better to keep the lights on?

Or is it something about the darkness that make ghouls and ghosts more active?

We have a natural fear of the dark as human beings. While trying to be 'scientific' (i use that word loosely) wouldn't it make more sense to eliminate the possibility of one's mind being influenced by our own imagination?

I believe it that light of energy they are looking for, that can only be seen in the dark.

I believe it that light of energy they are looking for, that can only be seen in the dark.

Could you elaborate a little more please?

What about shadows? Wouldn't the same work for those in reverse? Easier to see in the daylight?

Could you elaborate a little more please?

What about shadows? Wouldn't the same work for those in reverse? Easier to see in the daylight?

I've heard some definitive reason as well. Something about energy being captured on film more easily .

Nothing to do with it being SEEN with the naked eye at all,but film capture .

Same reason EVPs are not usually heard unless recorded .

I forget the exact parameters ,but its something like that .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Here's the thing about film/cameras...they work in exactly the same manner as our eyes, so unless it's infared or starlight camera...it will also work better in light just like our eyes.

To the OP, I posted clarification about my original response, not sure why you are being such a tool, I only wanted to point you in the direction of additional conversation about YOUR topic, unless you really didnt want to read responses to your posted question?

I'm really not "that guy" I have a ton of respect for this forum and its general membership, I don't troll around spewing forum rules etc etc. I just thought you might want to know that if you didn't get a bunch of responses in your thread, you could find some nice conjecture in previous ones.

Thanks to the others for trying to help point this out, I know this is "just" a forum but I always try to treat people here the way I would in any conversation, with respect.

Again, sincerely sorry if you took offense.

Edited by CakeOrDeath
  • Like 3

Nice post. We talj about this in my paranormal group all the time. We concluded that it is better fir there to be light. Most of the time when people witness these things it is in the light and even in the day time. Plus if something is moving around why would you want it dark so you cant see it?

• Like 2

Spirits don't really have a sense of time either in eternity. Most don't know anything they did not know when they were alive.

Personally i think people enjoy the rush it gives them to look for spooky things in the dark, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their fears are unfounded either?

We are at our most vulnerable in the dark, there is no doubt about that. Do they sense that?

Knowing what a spirit knows and whether sense of time is known is pure conjecture. We haven't even proven the existence of spirits let alone their mindset.

I've had oddities happen in my time for me to keep an open mind. But actual physical empirical proof yet alludes me.

That said it may be that darkness could enhance physical and audio signals to our brain. Again though that's subjective I suppose. Lights off necessary? I don't know. Much more fun? Absolutely.

Light can only be seen in the dark?

Seriously?

• Like 1

Knowing what a spirit knows and whether sense of time is known is pure conjecture. We haven't even proven the existence of spirits let alone their mindset.

I've had oddities happen in my time for me to keep an open mind. But actual physical empirical proof yet alludes me.

I understand what you're saying, however the theory of gravity is pure conjecture, as is the big bang theory. It is a theory, the same as any other. Do you have any physical proof of gravity? It is an invisible force that we assume exists.

Something about energy being captured on film more easily .

What do you mean by "energy"? That's thrown around in these forums with wild abandon as some sort of catch-all phrase for something that nobody can clearly define.

Photographic film does indeed "capture" energy. Light energy. Which is what it's designed to do. As does the CCD chip in a digital camera. And there are of course CCD chips and film that are designed to specifically capture EM energy outside of human capability, like IR cameras.

What kind of energy exactly are you talking about? Sound transmits energy. Electricity is energy. Heat is energy. Light is energy. X-rays are energy. Etc,

• Like 1

I understand what you're saying, however the theory of gravity is pure conjecture,

No, it's not.

You don't put space shuttles, space stations, communications satellites, deep space probes, etc. successfully into orbit, on long term deep space exploration missions, etc. on the basis of "pure conjecture".

• Like 2

No, it's not.

You don't put space shuttles, space stations, communications satellites, deep space probes, etc. successfully into orbit, on long term deep space exploration missions, etc. on the basis of "pure conjecture".

Yes it is. That is why it is called "The theory of gravity"..but i'm not going to go back and forth on it.

OMG someone does not know the difference between theory, hypothesis and plain old guessing. Go check out theory, it means it's pretty much a proven concept but open to further exploration.

You don't have a "theory" on spirits you have an idea that's it. Maybe with some effort and research you could form a hypothesis, but a theory no sir.

And gravity....yah it's demonstratable....ghost's thought process not so much.

Edited by CakeOrDeath
  • Like 2

OMG someone does not know the difference between theory, hypothesis and plain old guessing. Go check out theory, it means it's pretty much a proven concept but open to further exploration.

You don't have a "theory" on spirits you have an idea that's it. Maybe with some effort and research you could form a hypothesis, but a theory no sir.

And gravity....yah it's demonstratable....ghost's thought process not so much.

http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/p67.htm

If ever there was a time for a facepalm.... couple of choice excerpts hahah

1 - Gravity totally fails to explain why Saturn has rings and Jupiter does not. It utterly fails to account for obesity. In fact, what it does “explain” is far out-weighed by what it does not explain.

2 - It is not even clear why we need a theory of gravity -- there is not a single mention in the Bible, and the patriotic founding fathers never referred to it.

Absolutely priceless.... at least we have an idea where you get your source materials hehe.

• Like 3