Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Weird but True History of Sin Eaters

Still Waters

In 18th and 19th Century Scotland, families placed a piece of bread on the breasts of their dying loved ones. That’s not the strange part — the families then hired someone to eat the bread, believing that the practice would somehow absolve the sins of the deceased. Where did this strange ritual come from? And what sort of people worked as Sin Eaters?

http://io9.com/the-w...aters-479990066

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marcion Meets E. Sibyl

• pallidin

• StarMountainKid

• Still Waters

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's just weird. I wonder if any of those "sin eaters" asked for a little butter and jam. :passifier:

There was an old tv show episode about a sin eater. I can't remember what tv show it was though.

There was an old tv show episode about a sin eater. I can't remember what tv show it was though.

It's a Night Gallery episode called "The Sins of the Fathers"; however, this one is about a Welsh funerary tradition.

Peace.

Edit: Oops, the link talked about this -- sorry; however, there's a film called "The Last Sin Eater."

Edited by braveone2u

In 18th and 19th Century... Where did this strange ritual come from? And what sort of people worked as Sin Eaters?

Hi Still Waters,

This topic brings to mind anchorites and anchoresses. There's a 1993 British film called Anchoress. Also, the 2004 King Arthur showed this. Perhaps this religious practice inspired Sin Eaters? Just sharing.

Peace.

The Sin Eater starring Heath Ledger was a cool movie. Tis based on the same concept I guess?

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Leave Britney alone!

Sheesh, you would think they'd be nicer to someone willing to toasty the sins of their loved one. Seems Cooke a pretty selfless thing to do.