Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

5yr old kills Sister with Gift

The Id3al Experience

"It's like, oh, my God," she said, "we're having a big national debate whether we want to check somebody's background, but we're going to offer a 4-year-old a gun and expect something good from that?"

This is a real issue.... I beleive there should be an age limit. Over here in NZ, you have to be 18 to own a gun, you are allowed to use one if supervised by a licenced user only.

• Like 1

Meanwhile the gun lobby and corporations profit.

$$$ - <3 = :/

"It's like, oh, my God," she said, "we're having a big national debate whether we want to check somebody's background, but we're going to offer a 4-year-old a gun and expect something good from that?"

This is a real issue.... I beleive there should be an age limit. Over here in NZ, you have to be 18 to own a gun, you are allowed to use one if supervised by a licenced user only.

But how will the 5 year old Americans protect themselves when when the 5 year old Chinese invade!

• Like 7

Yet another lethal weapon left carelessly lying around for children to get. These stories aren't even shocking anymore, just common gun accidents in the U.S of A. Like the kid with the semi-automatic hand gun, where he get that from . Mom and Dads bedside table?

Maybe an i.q test should be compulsory.

• Like 2

Yet another lethal weapon left carelessly lying around for children to get. These stories aren't even shocking anymore, just common gun accidents in the U.S of A. Like the kid with the semi-automatic hand gun, where he get that from . Mom and Dads bedside table?

Maybe an i.q test should be compulsory.

It's the law around here that all firearms have trigger locks. Should be mandatory everywhere, and they should at least have a gun cabinet with locks. What kind of irresponsible parent leaves a .22 sitting in the corner of their mobile home when a 5 year old kid is running around? The trailer trash parents need to go to jail. This is equivalent to giving your kid a knife and telling him to go run around.

Just as Busch profits when 1000's of kids die in drunk driving accidents each year. Come on now, you try making it sound like they promote these horrible things when in fact they promote education and safe use.

Edited by CRYSiiSx2
  • Like 4

But how will the 5 year old Americans protect themselves when when the 5 year old Chinese invade!

chinese-kid.jpg

you wanna me to smack you ? post-108562-0-57720900-1367162135.gif

Grannie sez guns are not for kids ,

post-108562-0-42986200-1314279674_thumb.

• Like 5

Totally irresponsible parents. It is so so sad for the kids involved, that kid will grow up knowing he killed his sister, that is heartbreaking!

I'm in the UK so my opinion on guns is quite different to a lot of America and I realise that is mostly just cultural differences. But if someone wants to teach their kids to hunt with guns, or target practise, then great. Teach them to respect guns and let them know how dangerous they can be, that they are not toys. Don't let you kid play with a real rifle like it's a toy...... especially one with a bullet in!!! That is just madness.

• Like 1

Legally the parents owned the gun. Even if it was a gift, it was still purchased and owned by the parents.

Heartbreaking story. But it's definitely the fault of the parents - improper storage, leaving it loaded, letting the kid "play" with it. I hope they are prosecuted.

But I don't see it as an indictment of the gun industry or gun culture in the US. It was simply a tragic accident (granted one that could have been easily prevented). The rate of gun accidents - especially among children - have been going down for decades even as gun ownership has skyrocketed. The number of children killed in gun accidents each year barely make a blip on the list of causes of accidental child deaths.

• Like 1

Wow. stupidity of the Parents here is beyond what I would expect.

1. They let there child who is 5 have a firearm.

2. They let there child who is 5 play with the firearm.

3. They didn't bother to check to see if the bloody thing had one down the spout.

I have a 5 month old son. I plan on getting him a rifle when he is ready and knows right from wrong. That will be when he is 12 and has passed the firearms safety course and has a Youth License. I plan on getting him a BB gun when he is 9 so he has something to practice with, however only under my strict supervision and he will treat it like a firearm. I have no problems with children using firearms (that are of small caliber) under strict supervision (ie the person who owns it is standing right next to them watching everything they do).

The parents should be taken into custody and the child should be taken to a relative.

Seriously who thinks giving a gun to a 5 year old makes any sense and then letting him play with it.

• Like 4

3. They didn't bother to check to see if the bloody thing had one down the spout.

I have a 5 month old son. I plan on getting him a rifle when he is ready and knows right from wrong. That will be when he is 12 and has passed the firearms safety course and has a Youth License. I plan on getting him a BB gun when he is 9 so he has something to practice with, however only under my strict supervision and he will treat it like a firearm. I have no problems with children using firearms (that are of small caliber) under strict supervision (ie the person who owns it is standing right next to them watching everything they do).

The parents should be taken into custody and the child should be taken to a relative.

Seriously who thinks giving a gun to a 5 year old makes any sense and then letting him play with it.

I agree. Remember a Christmas Story and all Ralphie wants is a BB gun for Christmas? And everyone kept saying You'll Put Your Eye Out Kid? :D

Stories like this just make us gun owners who DO lock up our weapons look like idiots. :no:

Growing up, we were taught guns were NOT toys. Even our BB gun. Never point a gun and somebody you like....Or is it never point a gun at anybody? I can't remember... :whistle:

• Like 2

I don't have a problem with the kid getting the gun at 5 years old. If you look at many of the top Olympic shooters, they all started shooting at around that age. But the key is that the use of the firearm has to be under conditions supervised by the parent. You can't just leave the thing loaded and leaning up against the wall in your trailer. And, under no circumstances, should the kid be allowed to "play" with it.

• Like 2

How can a non-profit organization make a profit?

From the NRA Wikipedia entry:

The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) is an American nonprofit organization[3] founded in 1871 that promotes firearm ownership, as well as police training, firearm safety, marksmanship, hunting and self-defense training in the United States. The NRA is designated by the IRS as a 501©(3) and its lobbying branch is a 501©(4) organization.[4][5][6]

Here are also a few facts about the gun industry:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/26/nr-draft-how-important-are-guns-to-the-u-s-economy-for-starters-the-firearms-industry-employs-twice-as-many-americans-as-bailed-out-gm/#

All told, the firearms industry contributes more than $33 billion to the U.S. economy and supports about 220,000 jobs, according to the National Shooting Sports Foundation. That’s more than double the North American payrolls of General Motors, which President Barack Obama called “a pillar of our economy” when he explained the decision to provide more taxpayer aid to help save the car maker in 2009.

Fortunately the gun industry is quite healthy right now, but it is also an industry that doesn't have high profit margins to begin with and is susceptible to wild swings in the market. Ironically, it seems that all of Obama's bluster about gun control (and Clinton's before that) is the best thing to ever happen to the industry. Companies can barely keep up with demand. So it would seem that if Obama wanted to really do something about guns, he should simply just shut his mouth about it.

• Like 1

Fortunately the gun industry is quite healthy right now, but it is also an industry that doesn't have high profit margins to begin with and is susceptible to wild swings in the market. Ironically, it seems that all of Obama's bluster about gun control (and Clinton's before that) is the best thing to ever happen to the industry. Companies can barely keep up with demand. So it would seem that if Obama wanted to really do something about guns, he should simply just shut his mouth about it.

Yep.

firearms-salesman-1.jpg#obama%20gun%20salesman%20450x615

Legally the parents owned the gun. Even if it was a gift, it was still purchased and owned by the parents.

Heartbreaking story. But it's definitely the fault of the parents - improper storage, leaving it loaded, letting the kid "play" with it. I hope they are prosecuted.

But I don't see it as an indictment of the gun industry or gun culture in the US. It was simply a tragic accident (granted one that could have been easily prevented). The rate of gun accidents - especially among children - have been going down for decades even as gun ownership has skyrocketed. The number of children killed in gun accidents each year barely make a blip on the list of causes of accidental child deaths.

Sadly, these guns ARE marketed to children. http://www.crickett.com/
  • Like 1

In other words, in 2007 most "child gun death victims" were actually adults. Historically the 18 through 24 age group is the highest crime-committing group. At age 18 part-time drug dealers leave school and become full-time drug dealers. Despite the propaganda from the gun control lobby, criminals in general and drug dealers in particular are the group of so-called children most likely to be shot by their fellow criminals. You can verify this by reading the local gun death news stories in any city newspaper. School shootings are so rare that every one gets national television coverage, but drug dealers are shot so often that they are barely mentioned in their local newspaper.

in 2007 there were 1520 gun deaths in the 0 through 17 age group (out of 74,340,127 children) and 3067 gun deaths in the 0 through 19 age group.

no where in that link it says 1520 deaths were accidental. second link does not even talk about accidents at all.

how typical of Q twist facts and make s...t up.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Sadly, these guns ARE marketed to children. http://www.crickett.com/

Let me know when a 5-year-old has a job, draws a paycheck, and can go out and buy a firearm that in many states he/she can't purchase due to his/her age.

Mommy and Daddy still have to buy the thing and it's Mommy and Daddy's responsibility to ensure it is used correctly - just like Mommy and Daddy have to do with everything else in a kid's life at that age.

• Like 1

In other words, in 2007 most "child gun death victims" were actually adults. Historically the 18 through 24 age group is the highest crime-committing group. At age 18 part-time drug dealers leave school and become full-time drug dealers. Despite the propaganda from the gun control lobby, criminals in general and drug dealers in particular are the group of so-called children most likely to be shot by their fellow criminals. You can verify this by reading the local gun death news stories in any city newspaper. School shootings are so rare that every one gets national television coverage, but drug dealers are shot so often that they are barely mentioned in their local newspaper.

in 2007 there were 1520 gun deaths in the 0 through 17 age group (out of 74,340,127 children) and 3067 gun deaths in the 0 through 19 age group.

no where in that link it says 1520 deaths were accidental. second link does not even talk about accidents at all.

how typical of Q twist facts and make s...t up.

So, somebody is shooting kids on purpose lately? Is that what you are telling us?

Lets see, the report in 2007 said 5,162 died due to unintentional causes, out of which 1520 were gun deaths... I don't know what your definition of a "blip" is. Or are you saying that somebody goes purposely shooting kids now?

We're talking ACCIDENTS among children - not criminal shootings. Also keep in mind the report the article you're citing defines a "child" as 0-17 years old.

http://pediatrics.ab...n-accidents.htm

In 2007, there were 122 unintentional firearm deaths in children, and an additional 3,060 nonfatal gun and shooting accidents, which resulted in an estimated 1,375 children needing to be hospitalized for their injuries. Unintentional firearm deaths in children have remained at about the same levels since, with 114 deaths in children and teens less than age 18 in 2010.

Now compare that to the following (these are 0-19 numbers):

Motor Vehicle 6,683

Drowning 1,056

Fire/Burn 544

Poisoning 972

Suffocation/Strangulation 1,263

Firearms 138

http://www.childdeat...rtalitydata.htm

Granted any accidental death is tragic, but if folks are going to work themselves into a lather about something, it seems that there should much more concern about letting your kid ride in the car with a friend's mom behind the wheel or going to a swim party at a friend's house than whether or not the home your kid is visiting has firearms. And certainly more questions should be asked about how Timmy's mom stores her bleach and household chemicals than how she stores her Glock.

Edited by Rafterman

We're talking ACCIDENTS among children - not criminal shootings. Also keep in mind the report the article you're citing defines a "child" as 0-17 years old.

http://pediatrics.ab...n-accidents.htm

In 2007, there were 122 unintentional firearm deaths in children, and an additional 3,060 nonfatal gun and shooting accidents, which resulted in an estimated 1,375 children needing to be hospitalized for their injuries. Unintentional firearm deaths in children have remained at about the same levels since, with 114 deaths in children and teens less than age 18 in 2010.

Now compare that to the following (these are 0-19 numbers):

Motor Vehicle 6,683

Drowning 1,056

Fire/Burn 544

Poisoning 972

Suffocation/Strangulation 1,263

Firearms 138

http://www.childdeat...rtalitydata.htm

Granted any accidental death is tragic, but if folks are going to work themselves into a lather about something, it seems that there should much more concern about letting your kid ride in the car with a friend's mom behind the wheel or going to a swim party at a friend's house than whether or not the home your kid is visiting has firearms. And certainly more questions should be asked about how Timmy's mom stores her bleach and household chemicals than how she stores her Glock.

There seems to be a problem here with how some people are making statistics: Any unintentional shooting is an accident, just as any unintentional hit by a car is. If the criminal was NOT shooting at a kid and a kid got hit it was an accident.