Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time crystals and perpetual motion

Saru

A Nobel Prize-winning physicist has devised the concept of a mysterious structure called a time crystal.

In February 2012, the Nobel Prize-winning physicist Frank Wilczek decided to go public with a strange and, he worried, somewhat embarrassing idea. Impossible as it seemed, Wilczek had developed an apparent proof of “time crystals”.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

let's hope the experimentalists can pull it off!

also suprised to find that they've managed to cool things down to a billionth of a degree K, that's a remarkable achievement!!

good luck to all concerned.

:-)

• Like 1

My grandad experemented with perpetual motion for years, sadly it drove him mad!

Lets hope that Experimental Physics is not perpetually hindered by this kind of comment (from the article) :

"I personally think it’s not possible to detect motion in the ground state,” Bruno said. “They may be able to make a ring of ions in a toroidal trap and do some interesting physics with that, but they will not see their ever-ticking clock as they claim.”

At least they are trying to prove or disprove their hypothesis through experimentation - what is Bruno's basis for what he says?

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 3

Oh this is very very interesting! Looking forward to updates

• Like 1

I would hope that all the energy to get perpetual motion started can be turned off after it starts, or what's the point. Will this be able to creat limitless amounts of clean energy in the future?

Where are Marty & Doc when you need them?

• Like 1

I would hope that all the energy to get perpetual motion started can be turned off after it starts, or what's the point. Will this be able to creat limitless amounts of clean energy in the future?

In short NO... this is not what their studies intend to show. Of course Zero-point energy is often related to limitless energy, but that energy comes from somewhere, perhaps leaching energy from a parallel Universe, in which case such extraction of energy may not be sympathetically received if it leads to a net deficit of energy in the Parallel Universe.

So much to discover, and so much to learn.

• Like 1

At least they are trying to prove or disprove their hypothesis through experimentation - what is Bruno's basis for what he says?

he doesn't need any,

he's french.....

:-)

• Like 1

Great article! I forwarded to a good friend of mine, realizing it's speculative at this point.

Read the article :innocent: This isn't about perpetual motion as source of energy. It's about coming up with a new theory of time. Not that I have a clue as to what he's talking about beyond that.

Right, It's about a study/experiment to further the understanding of "time"

Supposed perpetual motion, though mentioned in the article, is not the focus, but rather that's an inherent aspect of this phenomenon(if confirmed) and is essentially meaningless on such a small scale anyway with regards to usable power production(at this time)

The focus, rather, is whether or not such an experiment proves that "time" can be violated on such a small scale, as suggested by the author, which from what I gather would have major implications.

Recall, for those who might know, that "time violation" has already been observed around massive objects, but NOT small-scale objects.

This would be a first, and a very important one.

Too early to tell, of course, as the experiment has not yet been performed.

Best of luck to them !!!!

I just hope any "positive" results, if any, don't go "government super-secret"

Edited by pallidin

My grandad experemented with perpetual motion for years, sadly it drove him mad!

Hmmm ... maybe I should try it. It might drive me sane. :-)

• Like 1

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Looks like this Nobel Prize winner has played the TimeSplitters trilogy.

i wonder if he goes by the name docter rick marshall, calls his crystals tackion, meets a primative have man half monkey companion when he creates a crystal amplifyer and travels sideways in time so he can defeat sleestaks and ride t rexes?

• 2 weeks later...

Recall, for those who might know, that "time violation" has already been observed around massive objects, but NOT small-scale objects. This would be a first, and a very important one.

Always liked dolphins. Wonderful creatures. Where I used to live up in Waianae there was a pod of some 200 or so spinner dolphins who would ham it up anytime there was a camera around like when the tour boats came by.

It will, indeed, be quite interesting to watch the progress on this. If the experiment proves out, there are implications in an assortment of sciences that could either confirm or ruin different theories.

Edit to add: And that was a crap answer but not bad considering that I just took my meds. :cry:

Edited by Kludge808

Not surprised.

Wow, this stuff is so surreal. I like this kind of science.

Edited by Mnemonix