Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Star Trek into Darkness, review

Still Waters

Star Trek into Darkness is either the second or 12th feature-length instalment in the science-fiction series depending which calendar you count on, and it unpicks much of the fine work Abrams did in the 11th, or possibly first. That 2009 film represented a fresh start for the Trek canon, and was fired by a swashbuckling spirit and full-blooded sense of adventure. The odd passing reference aside, all ties with the earlier films were severed.

http://www.telegraph...ess-review.html

To be honest,there where only 2 decent movies in the original series of movies with the original cast and that was the first one and "Wrath of Khan".Never was a big fan of Next Generation( or social workers in space as I use to call it).

The new story line is totally wrong. Spock never had a girlfriend on the shows except the Valcan one. Spock and Kirk never fought except once. I truely think a the New Trak movies have miss the mark. I was a kid and loved Star Trek. Yes I guess I was a Trekie LOL

I liked the first film in the new series. Have watched all the other movies and TV shows. It is funny to go back and watch the original TV series.

The new series for the movies might get under the skin of some die hard fans, but just take it for what it is and enjoy.

Do not compare it to the previous films.

Edited by Glenville86

The new story line is totally wrong. Spock never had a girlfriend on the shows except the Valcan one. Spock and Kirk never fought except once. I truely think a the New Trak movies have miss the mark. I was a kid and loved Star Trek. Yes I guess I was a Trekie LOL

Yes but we didn't see Spock back when Kirk and co were still in the Academy. We don't know that he never had a girlfriend before the Vulcan one. The events of the reboot take place decades before the original series.

And the reason they now fight is simply because the Kirk we knew grew up to be a different man due to the events at the very beginning of the first film. And Spock is now forever changed due to the events in the film that took place of Vulcan.

Essentially, the timeline is almost completely different, which is why the reboot is refreshing and why, in my opinion, it works.

Personally I'm salivating at the thought of going to see this. Have been looking forward to it for years now and will be seeing it as soon as it opens.

From the article:

Star Trek into Darkness is, by and large, a reprocessed version of an earlier film in the series, and your enjoyment of this new film depends almost entirely on your ability to spot links to the old one.

Translation: Oversword, you're gonna love it! :tu:

They fought twice and Spock had several girlfriends throughout the series. One of them during one of the fights. Sorry I can't help myself I *** love Star Trek.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

J.J. Abrams vision has breathed new life in to the franchise, I love it.

• Like 1

The reboot was an excellent origins story and I suspect its first sequel is gonna kick butt. Cannot wait.

Not long back from seeing it and it was awesome. Well worth the wait.

The Wrath Of Khan is like the Empire Strikes Back of the Star Trek franchise and I would agree.

The director, Nicholas Meyer directed a second Star Trek film, though no TWoK but decent in its own right, Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country.

The three movies directed by Leonard Nimoy and William Shatner were simply atrocious, Search For Spock (III), The Voyage Home (IV), and The Final Frontier (V).

I thought the latest reboot was not bad. I haven't seen Into Darkness yet. I might wait for the DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the new Trek film today at the cinema. I was highly impressed with the film. It paid just enough homage to the original while taking it in a new and exciting direction. I don't care that the universe has been altered (eg, Vulcan destroyed from the 2009 film, Spock and Uhura being an item, the reversal of roles for Spock and Kirk, that kind of thing).

Big fan of the original series and crew here, and a big fan of both new Trek movies. I saw the newest one yesterday, and went in expecting to like it but not quite as much as the first. Neither movie was perfect but I did enjoy this one a little bit more. I'm thinking about a second viewing in the morning.

I see a lot of old school Trekkies/Trekkers/Whatever who say these new movies aren't real Star Trek because they aren't philosophical enough. I invite those people to watch the original series, which was mostly action with a little philosophy every once in awhile. The most popular old Trek movie was ST2, and it was mostly action with a tiny bit of philosophy. That's exactly what this new movie is.

Those same people don't like Spock being so emotional. I invite them to watch the pilot for Star Trek, which would have taken place around the same time as this new movie. At one point, Spock grins ear to pointy ear about a weird plant. Even at his most robot-like, in the first Trek movie, Spock sheds tears after he mind melds with V-GER. I think the new Spock is a much more interesting character than the old one, even though I love Nimoy's Spock, and Spock's relationship with Uhura is also fine with me. Uhura flirted with Spock in the old series, and Spock's father married a human, so I just don't see the problem.

I'll close by saying Karl Urban's McCoy needs more screen time. He channels the old character better than anyone else.

Now, excuse me, but I need to go geek out and find Trek sounds for my phone.

Edited by MysticStrummer