Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

does humour have its place on UM?

shrooma

the people here who know me, know that most of my posts are tongue in cheek, serious, with a flippant edge, critical of closed minds, even sharper against bullys, but does it really work?

i've made some great friends here, but i've also got myself into quite a bit of unintentional bother with my sense of humour.

is there a fun side to serious debate, or am I just farting custard at goats, and throwing cats at people while I shout at clouds.....?

• Like 9

HAve you applied for the UM Comedy Practicing License and accepted by the High Council Of Humor Chapter Of UM to throw cats and shout at clouds ?

Maybe thats the problem ... the farting is okay I believe ... the threads is full of it and I don't think anyone can tell the difference :w00t:

• Like 6

Well, Oscar Wilde said, "It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously".

However, it's also quite true that most people don't particularly like to be the brunt of a joke.

Basically, humor is kind of a balancing act. It's an act in which you have to take into account the feelings and rights of others if you want to be considered as being a "funny guy" verses being considered an "annoying guy".

Edited by Lilly
Oops!
  • Like 8

somehow third eye, I knew you wouldn't be far behind me!

you've also got a sense of humour, i've noticed that much, but is there a place for the likes of you and I here?

there's a LOT of... how can I put it.... stuffyness here, too many people taking themselves far too seriously, and considering that we're all talking about the unknown, no-one really knows more than anyone else, but amongst all the seriousness, all the proselytising, does humour have a place? or will the long-hairs (nerd-slang) always think we're mocking them??

myself, i'd rather keep an open

grin.....

;-)

• Like 2

s**t lilly, why didn't you post that earlier so I could've quoted you?

b****!!

:-D

I often feel as if my off-the-wall, dry sarcasm seems to sail a good 4 and a half feet above the general population.

Shroom..I find your posts entertaining. I've considered liking every single one, but don't want to come off as stalkerish so early in this relationship.

• Like 1

A ufologist, a cryptozoologist, and a conspiracy theorist walk into a bar...

Sorry, can't post the rest here. ;)

• Like 4

Occasionally I try to add something absurd to my posts. They're usually ignored. I also like taking certain positions and trying my best to support them, even though, as shrooma says, we may be talking about the unknown and no one really knows more than anyone else.

This may be a form of humor as well.

I agree that people often take themselves too seriously. I think humor is fine when it relieves the tension of a too-serious sounding discussion. Admitting that we may be expressing personal opinions or hypotheses from our own imagination is always good for the soul.

• Like 2

I often feel as if my off-the-wall, dry sarcasm seems to sail a good 4 and a half feet above the general population.

Shroom..I find your posts entertaining. I've considered liking every single one, but don't want to come off as stalkerish so early in this relationship.

OR, flattery will get you everywhere!

truth be told?

I put out, easy as **** for the price of a couple of beers!

not that i'm saying i'm gay or anything, but hey, get me drunk enough?

if you can stand the s**t amigo, I can stand the pain!

Hey, hey, backoff man! I saw him first! :ph34r: *Ahem...* ^ I mean yeah, what he said.^

the people here who know me, know that most of my posts are tongue in cheek, serious, with a flippant edge, critical of closed minds, even sharper against bullys, but does it really work?

i've made some great friends here, but i've also got myself into quite a bit of unintentional bother with my sense of humour.

is there a fun side to serious debate, or am I just farting custard at goats, and throwing cats at people while I shout at clouds.....?

Shrooma...just keep doing what your doing, man. The more positivity in this forum, the better, I say. Some are not gonna like it and just want to be serious as a heart attack about everything. Of course they're probably headed in that general direction, stressing about everything anyway, but we will keep on trying, right? Never the less, this forum needs humor, because there is a lot of negativity here from time to time.

BTW, like your post because I think this a awesome thread and not because I want to stalk you. :no: Swear to god!

• Like 1

This is escalating so quickly!

I hope you like Blue Moon!...because that's all I have at the moment.

Haha.

Keep the wit up my friend!

• Like 1

I would say that many members of UM are like minded in some areas, and that's why we're all here in the first place.

We're all curious.

I wouldn't say the overall humor of the forum is bad, because every one is different.

But I have had both intense debates and humorous exchanges on this board. :P

• Like 1

Don`t even go there as I will call you a poo poo head and quote a Bushsism then call in an O banasim ok what the hell pull down your pants and slid on the ice, its funny but not for you.

• Like 1

I was kinda hoping that this thread would be a place that people with a sense of humour could come and laugh at each other, without fear of recrimination, y'know?

somewhere we could get away from the seriousness of the general forums? where we can just all get together and laugh at ourselves, no offence given, and none taken, somewhere to let off a bit of steam after debating against each other on the forums, where we can all say 'hey, your politics are a bit s**t, but I like your socks!', that kinda thing?

it'd be nice if the mods. would let us, maybe join in too?

I reckon a couple of 'em would love to, but as far as an official sanction goes?

we can but hope eh....?

:-)

a

Hey, hey, backoff man! I saw him first! :ph34r: *Ahem...* ^ I mean yeah,d what he said.^

see! that's EXACTLY what i'm talking about!!

you get it perfectly, thank you!!

(but I have to say, i'm a giver, not a taker....)

• Like 1

Don`t even go there as I will call you a poo poo head and quote a Bushsism then call in an O banasim ok what the hell pull down your pants and slid on the ice, its funny but not for you.

bet you a quid my bushisms are a lot more misunderestimated than yours is!

I once posted a vid here of me being waterboarded and thought it was hilarious then posted a kid starting a flash mob and since we were were wearing the same cloths people thought we were the same.

LOL

• Like 3

BTW, like your post because I think this a awesome thread and not because I want to stalk you. :no: Swear to god!

dip in man, the water's lovely!

• Like 1

I once posted a vid here of me being waterboarded and thought it was hilarious then posted a kid starting a flash mob and since we were were wearing the same cloths people thought we were the same.

LOL

have you still got the vid??

A ufologist, a cryptozoologist, and a conspiracy theorist walk into a bar...

Sorry, can't post the rest here. ;)

inbox me dude, inbox me!!

I think it is helpful to a debate to throw a little humor (FINE! humour... even though it has a squiggly red line under it spelled that way :P ) in on occasion however you have to be aware that humor doesn't translate very well sometimes, between cultures or with the written word. There will always be misunderstandings in a forum like this. There have been plenty of times when I've let a funny comment pass me by because I wasn't sure if people would 'get it'. I would just let the humor come naturally without forcing it and have the foresight to realize that you may have to explain yourself if things go south. :tu:

• Like 2

have you still got the vid??

Ya I posted it lol I have one of me thinking I'm a reptile expert too lol

• Like 1

to be honest, the idea came to me when we were talking to yond daft bugger, with his hollow earth thingy.

just when it started to get funny, the thread got shut down, and I thought, isn't there we could go for the equivalent of 'if you're gonna start scrapping, take it outside gentlemen', and i'm praying to the gods (and the goddesses AND the big bang!) that we can all get along and laugh at our differences, because, if you can't laugh at yourself, you've no right laughing at anyone else!

(and believe me, i'll ALWAYS be the first to call myself a dozy pillock!)

to be honest, the idea came to me when we were talking to yond daft bugger, with his hollow earth thingy.

just when it started to get funny, the thread got shut down, and I thought, isn't there we could go for the equivalent of 'if you're gonna start scrapping, take it outside gentlemen', and i'm praying to the gods (and the goddesses AND the big bang!) that we can all get along and laugh at our differences, because, if you can't laugh at yourself, you've no right laughing at anyone else!

(and believe me, i'll ALWAYS be the first to call myself a dozy pillock!)

I just posted me making fun of myself and you post hollow earth lol, You are funny, try harder.

• Like 1

humor doesn't translate very well sometimes, between cultures or with the written word. There will always be misunderstandings in a forum like this.

I hope not man, that's just the kind of thing I was hoping to avoid!

well, not ME avoiding it, i'd just find it funny and throw fuel on the fire, but I was hoping that the people who'd get offended would stay away.

(and stick to the religious threads instead.....)