Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexican reporters pushed into hiding

Ashotep

Not a good time to be a reporter in Mexico. If you are and report on the drug violence you may be risking you life.

Facing threats, murder and kidnappings, many Mexican journalists have been forced to go into hiding, while the country’s vicious drug war has driven some newspapers to self-censorship.

Some journalists have gone into self-imposed exile abroad while others, like Luis Cardona, a 53-year-old who reported in the flashpoint state of Chihuahua, have taken refuge elsewhere in the country.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/03/drug-violence-pushes-mexican-reporters-into-hiding-writing-under-pseudonyms/

• Like 1

Yikes. That kind of story makes me happy about where I am from.

• Like 1

Things are pretty bad in Mexico. Really feel for those that have to live with it.

• Like 2

And it is migrating North at a fast speed ( has been )....

Don't laugh Canada, you are next......Although you guys are smart enough not to let it happen.

• Like 2

Don't laugh Canada, you are next......Although you guys are smart enough not to let it happen.

I was not laughing by any means. I didn't mean to give that impression.

• Like 2

Yep. Esp. in places really close to the border, like here in Texas. We have violence coming over our border. That's EXACTLY why we need to secure our borders!

• Like 4

I was not laughing by any means. I didn't mean to give that impression.

I did not mean it that way at all. I meant " watch out Canada " in general. It was not in response to your reply :)

Yep. Esp. in places really close to the border, like here in Texas. We have violence coming over our border. That's EXACTLY why we need to secure our borders!

I know, I spent my first 44 years of my life in Nevada. I watched it grow like a plague. I watched DMV forms, School books, Voting information, etc. become twice as thick so they could be both in Spanish and English. I watched jobs go away, and yes, even higher paying jobs as " bi-lingual is required " is becoming the norm.

I could go on and on.......

I do not blame them, I blame our Government.

• Like 3

I know, I spent my first 44 years of my life in Nevada. I watched it grow like a plague. I watched DMV forms, School books, Voting information, etc. become twice as thick so they could be both in Spanish and English. I watched jobs go away, and yes, even higher paying jobs as " bi-lingual is required " is becoming the norm.

I could go on and on.......

I do not blame them, I blame our Government.

Yep. The government needs to STOP pandering to the illegals! They bring their drugs and violence over here. Every city that has a huge population of illegals ALWAYS has more crime, and this is why. Not to mention their taking what little jobs there are out there. I've seen that myself. Why do you think most countries have restrictions on immigration? To make sure the immigrants don't take the citizens jobs away! But, I think this whole "immigration reform" is just so the Democrats can get more votes. The democrats will make them citizens, give them welfare, and free healthcare, and they'll keep voting the democrats in, without even thinking about it.

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 3

You can use the WORMS from Tremors and those flying things too

• Like 1

I really don't see this as just a democrat thing. There are a lot of democrats that want this illegal invasion stopped as well and I am one of them. I don't think we need immigration reform what we need is a illegal immigrant reform. Stop rewarding people for coming into this country illegally and just fingerprint them then deport them. If they come back a second time prosecute them and send them to prison. Arrest anyone that hires them and take their business or money to pay for sending them back.

I agree the cities with high numbers of illegals also have a high crime rate. I think its stupid to require us to speak Spanish when English is our language. Maybe they should learn to speak English. They are suppose to be coming here to become part of our society not the other way around.

I'm all for a fence along the border, a big one or maybe a wall like the Chinese built.

• Like 2

I'm all for a fence along the border, a big one or maybe a wall like the Chinese built.

With motion censored grenade launchers.....

• Like 2

Yep. The government needs to STOP pandering to the illegals! They bring their drugs and violence over here. Every city that has a huge population of illegals ALWAYS has more crime, and this is why. Not to mention their taking what little jobs there are out there. I've seen that myself. Why do you think most countries have restrictions on immigration? To make sure the immigrants don't take the citizens jobs away! But, I think this whole "immigration reform" is just so the Democrats can get more votes. The democrats will make them citizens, give them welfare, and free healthcare, and they'll keep voting the democrats in, without even thinking about it.

its because employers find them cheaper for wages and work long hard hours, not many people want to work on low wages for long hours.

• Like 1

its because employers find them cheaper for wages and work long hard hours, not many people want to work on low wages for long hours.

That's why employers should have their assets confiscated for hiring them. They are bringing down our standard of living and it will get worse.

I would be all for helping Mexico build up their own economy so they would stay there.

• Like 1

Maybe farmers.....Not companies. Minumum wage is paid, and many would love to have that chance right now.

• Like 1

That's why employers should have their assets confiscated for hiring them. They are bringing down our standard of living and it will get worse.

I would be all for helping Mexico build up their own economy so they would stay there.

I had read ( not looking it up now ) that money sent from the US to Mexico from these workers to families there is in the millions a month. Millions a month go through western unuion, to Mexico..>American dollars, being spent in Mexico......( Billions a year I believe )

We are helping their economy, and not many know it.

• Like 2

I really don't see this as just a democrat thing. There are a lot of democrats that want this illegal invasion stopped as well and I am one of them. I don't think we need immigration reform what we need is a illegal immigrant reform. Stop rewarding people for coming into this country illegally and just fingerprint them then deport them. If they come back a second time prosecute them and send them to prison. Arrest anyone that hires them and take their business or money to pay for sending them back.

I agree the cities with high numbers of illegals also have a high crime rate. I think its stupid to require us to speak Spanish when English is our language. Maybe they should learn to speak English. They are suppose to be coming here to become part of our society not the other way around.

I meant the Democrat Politicians not Democrats in general. I know many Democrats who want secure borders also.

Sorry for the mix-up there. But, it DOES seem as if the MAJORITY of Americans want a secure border, and want illegals deported back. But, Washington is not listening to us. Come 2014, their all in for a BIG surprise, because a lot of people (democrats and republicans alike) are sick of the politicians pandering to them.

• Like 1

I meant the Democrat Politicians not Democrats in general. I know many Democrats who want secure borders also.

Sorry for the mix-up there. But, it DOES seem as if the MAJORITY of Americans want a secure border, and want illegals deported back. But, Washington is not listening to us. Come 2014, their all in for a BIG surprise, because a lot of people (democrats and republicans alike) are sick of the politicians pandering to them.

No worry, some democrats give the rest of us a bad name. Your not a kidding people are getting sick of it.
  • Like 1

I don't want everyone to think that I hate Mexicans because I don't. I have to respect them for trying to come here but I wish they would use legal means or anyone from any country that sneaks into the US illegally. It hurts anyone else's chances of coming here legally if we keep letting some get by with coming here illegally.

I also feel for the Mexicans that have to put up with the drug cartels and lose members of their families to these people. I really hope the day comes soon that the violence is brought under control and their country can flourish.

Mexico is a country rich in history that attracts many tourists. The problem is the money needs to make it down to the people on the lower end of the scale. They need to educate their poor so they will have a chance of making it. Have a minimum wage, if they don't already and not let factories work people to death.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

I read a news article yesterday (looked for it today, can't find it), anyways, President Obama was in Mexico and Costa Rica, talking to those countries president.

He said we need mexico's help to secure the border. He wants them to share the costs of securing the border, which IMO, is fair!!! He also discussed ways that

the United States can help Mexico build up a stable economy, create thousands of jobs that pay fair wages. That way, the Mexican people will want to stay

in their own country. Right now, the wages being paid to Mexican workers in Mexico, range between 2 to 5 dollars a week. Nobody can live on that anywhere!!!

I have to agree with our President, If we help to build up Mexico's economy, then it's citizens will want to stay there, because they'll be able to afford to take care of their families!!!

• Like 1

Things are pretty bad in Mexico. Really feel for those that have to live with it.

Not to minimize the violence here but the American media really sensationalizes it and the perception is that it is very,very dangerous. In reality, most of the drug killing remains within the cartels and the majority are not directly affected by it. The majority of Americans I know who live here say yhey feel much safer here than in the majority of major US cities.

Could you provide a link showing the this correlation please.

Yes. The majority of illegal immigrants that enter the US are honest, hard-working people who are trying their very best to support their families. And let´s not forget that until a few years ago, illegal immigrant workers were more than welcome to get jobs illegaly as both state and federal governments wilingly turned a blind eye to industries use of illegals

Re-visiting NAFTA to see how it impacts the average Mexican would be a start

While NAFTA may have brought economic and social

benefits to the Mexican economy as a whole, the benefits have not been evenly distributed

throughout the country. The agricultural sector experienced a higher amount of worker

displacement after NAFTA, in part because of increased competition from the United States but

also because of Mexican domestic agricultural reforms. In terms of regional effects, initial

conditions in Mexico appear to have determined which Mexican states experienced stronger

economic growth as a result of NAFTA. Some economists argue that while trade liberalization

may narrow income disparities over the long run with other countries, it may indirectly lead to

larger disparities in income levels within a country.

http://www.fas.org/s...row/RL34733.pdf

Hilander:and not let factories work people to death.

The developed worlds economy relies almost completely on working those in undeveloped countries to death. I´m not sure everyone is prepared to give up cheap prices for all the luxuries thet can afford in order to treat these workers in a fair and dignified way.

Now, returning to the OP which was not about illegal immigrants but rather how dangerous it is for journalists to speak the truth down here. It´s certainly a much biggger problem here than in the US. Perhaps if more American journalists reported the truth, it would be :whistle: . It certainly is a tragedy and I have great respect for those brave enough to write what is going on.

. Doing investigative journalism on cartels will certainly put you in the spotlight. Starting to draw connections betwwen cartels and politicians will insure being taken out.

Edited by jugoso

I don't want everyone to think that I hate Mexicans because I don't. I have to respect them for trying to come here but I wish they would use legal means or anyone from any country that sneaks into the US illegally. It hurts anyone else's chances of coming here legally if we keep letting some get by with coming here illegally.

I also feel for the Mexicans that have to put up with the drug cartels and lose members of their families to these people. I really hope the day comes soon that the violence is brought under control and their country can flourish.

Mexico is a country rich in history that attracts many tourists. The problem is the money needs to make it down to the people on the lower end of the scale. They need to educate their poor so they will have a chance of making it. Have a minimum wage, if they don't already and not let factories work people to death.

Yes, if they do it legally.

If not, hell no you do not have to respect them...

I would love to live on some tropical Islands....Wish I only had a river to cross, or a fence to jump to get there..

• Like 1

Not a good time to be a reporter in Mexico. If you are and report on the drug violence you may be risking you life.

They need more gun laws.

• Like 2