Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Waspie_Dwarf

I wonder if it's cultural. Asian citizens are more concerned with stability and safety while Westerners (at least Americans) seem prepossessed by their idea of "freedom." The reality is that there is no such thing in this world as either secure safety or of freedom, and, further, that one is never safe if not free and never free if not safe.

I wonder if it's cultural. Asian citizens are more concerned with stability and safety while Westerners (at least Americans) seem prepossessed by their idea of "freedom." The reality is that there is no such thing in this world as either secure safety or of freedom, and, further, that one is never safe if not free and never free if not safe.

I think that's very true. In fact, as I think has been remarked before, the U.S. Constitution was deliberately designed to prevent Government from being too efficient, in case it became Tyrannical. And the irony is that most Western "democracies" (well, the U.S. and UK, at any rate, certainly) turned out to be neither.

• Like 2

Turn that into a tattoo. If not, put the phrase on an index card, and glue or tape it to your bathroom mirror. We all have our own "political club", but some issues transcend our habit of pennant-waving. That's especially true when our clubs face an existential threat from a third party.

In a global 'economic' boom ~ the minds that are required to feed the production, factory lines or employment 'force' lured with the promises of a better future cannot be questioned as to what means a 'better' life or even at times ~ being in possession of a critical mind means the 'target' population does not feed the numbers of future projected success. You don't question them.

THe have the projected numbers, the target economical and financial percentages of the global growth pie ....

Have you ever been curious as to where these base numbers come from ? Who decides how big the pie is before the governments start slicing them up ... ?

FDR heard something ...

402658_200886246676064_1975544417_n.jpg

.... but he didn't expect it would get this loud //

• Like 2

I know why.. it's called marijuana. That is why people shouldn't toke if they don't want to be a big dope.

• Like 1

Actually, ALL Conspiracy Theories are true. Every single one of them without exception.

But only to those who believe them.

• Like 1

Some people want to believe they are "special", yet cannot admit they ride the bus.

Julius Caesar rode the short bus? Who knew?

Julius Caesar rode the short bus? Who knew?

Brute ?

Et too eh ? Brutus ?

~

As an AE, pilot, A&P and ground instructor (Okay, inactive for a while but still), I do understand that part. The Gimli Glider is a classic example of this. :-)

My favorite CT of all time was the one where the Govt is using KC-135 Air refuelers to spread "chemtrails" over the people.

I worked on them for over 20 years. Not happening. plain and simple.

I dont care if folks dont believe me but its the factual truth.

I love a good CT but the chemtrails one i dont bother even following anymore.

• Like 1

Which is why as a FREE American, i dont need the Federal Govt telling me how to live.

I dont need their healthcare, i dont need their mandated seatbelt laws etc....

I will care for myself and if i screw up, just toss the body in a hole somewhere and let my death serve as a warning to others.

The Govt has effectively thwarted Darwinism.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever considered that people "believe" and i use that word loosely, because it simply makes for an awesome story.

I don't believe for one second that Reptilians are running the planet.

But that doesn't stop me from reading virtually every article i see about it. Same applies to pretty much all CT's.

I find them entertaining and sometimes spine tingling in a weird sort of way when you can almost connect with what the writer is saying as truth.

This is exactly why i visit this site, and infowars (really had to swallow my pride to admit that one), and watch the weird stuff like ancient aliens and Jesse Venturas conspiracy theory.

Not because i believe it all, but i find it entertaining.

There are a lot of things out there that are unexplained and sometimes the CT is just a better story than the mainstream one from an entertainment pov.

Its almost like reading a good book.

And that is why i "believe" in CT's.

• Like 2

My favorite CT of all time was the one where the Govt is using KC-135 Air refuelers to spread "chemtrails" over the people.

I worked on them for over 20 years. Not happening. plain and simple.

I dont care if folks dont believe me but its the factual truth.

I love a good CT but the chemtrails one i dont bother even following anymore.

Ahh Chemtrailers.

I say we vote to remove all warning labels off everything. Eventually the problem will solve itself.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever considered that people "believe" and i use that word loosely, because it simply makes for an awesome story.

I don't believe for one second that Reptilians are running the planet.

But that doesn't stop me from reading virtually every article i see about it. Same applies to pretty much all CT's.

I find them entertaining and sometimes spine tingling in a weird sort of way when you can almost connect with what the writer is saying as truth.

This is exactly why i visit this site, and infowars (really had to swallow my pride to admit that one), and watch the weird stuff like ancient aliens and Jesse Venturas conspiracy theory.

Not because i believe it all, but i find it entertaining.

There are a lot of things out there that are unexplained and sometimes the CT is just a better story than the mainstream one from an entertainment pov.

Its almost like reading a good book.

And that is why i "believe" in CT's.

I'm like that too. However, there are facts and truth to be found in some claims. These are the wheat among chaff. For example, I doubt that the official line on JFK is "wheat". On the other hand, the stories from David Icke and Steve Quayle, are mostly "chaff". Ditto for Texe Marrs. These kinds of conspiracy theorists make it seem like *all* conspiracy theories are "chaff", and that ain't so. Just start with Operation Northwoods.

• Like 1

I usually apply abe lincoln's razor when it comes to conspiracy theories-

'you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.'

(double-edged razor though it may be.....)

But if you're lucky you can fool enough people all the time so that those that aren't fooled will be thought of as fools by most of the people.

• Like 1

Just curious ... I know Project Paperclip (wiki link ) is as true as the historical records states but how about this one :

Project MKUltra was the code name of a U.S. government covert research operation experimenting in the behavioral engineering of humans (mind control) through the CIA's Scientific Intelligence Division. The program began in the early 1950s, was officially sanctioned in 1953, was reduced in scope in 1964, further curtailed in 1967 and officially halted in 1973.[1] The program engaged in many illegal activities;[2][3][4][5] in particular it used unwitting U.S. and Canadian citizens as its test subjects, which led to controversy regarding its legitimacy.[6][7][8][9] MKUltra involved the use of many methodologies to manipulate people's mental states and alter brain functions, including the surreptitious administration of drugs (especially LSD) and other chemicals, hypnosis, sensory deprivation, isolation, verbal and sexual abuse, as well as various forms of torture.[10]

The scope of Project MKUltra was broad, with research undertaken at 80 institutions, including 44 colleges and universities, as well as hospitals, prisons and pharmaceutical companies.[11] The CIA operated through these institutions using front organizations, although sometimes top officials at these institutions were aware of the CIA's involvement.[12]

link

conspiracy bunk ?

Project MKULTRA, or MK-ULTRA, was the code name for a covert, illegal CIA human research program, run by the Office of Scientific Intelligence. This official U.S. government program began in the early 1950s, continuing at least through the late 1960s, and it used U.S. and Canadian citizens as its test subjects.[1][2][3][4]

The published evidence indicates that Project MKULTRA involved the use of many methodologies to manipulate individual mental states and alter brain functions, including the surreptitious administration of drugs and other chemicals, sensory deprivation, isolation, and verbal and sexual abuse.

Project MKULTRA was first brought to wide public attention in 1975 by the U.S. Congress, through investigations by the Church Committee, and by a presidential commission known as the Rockefeller Commission. Investigative efforts were hampered by the fact that CIA Director Richard Helms ordered all MKULTRA files destroyed in 1973; the Church Committee and Rockefeller Commission investigations relied on the sworn testimony of direct participants and on the relatively small number of documents that survived Helms' destruction order.[5]

Princeton edu link

THE CIA'S PROGRAM OF RESEARCH IN BEHAVIORAL MODIFICATION

Wednesday, August 3, 1977 U.S. Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, and Subcommittee on Health & Scientific Research of the Committee on Human Resources

Following is an excerpt of an opening statement from Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.).

Senator KENNEDY. Thank you very much, Mr. Chairman. We are delighted to join together in this very important area of public inquiry and public interest.

Some 2 years ago, the Senate Health Subcommittee heard chilling testimony about the human experimentation activities of the Central Intelligence Agency. The Deputy Director of the CIA revealed that over 30 universities and institutions were involved in an "extensive testing and experimentation" program which included covert drug tests on unwitting citizens "at all social levels, high and low, native Americans and foreign." Several of these tests involved the administration of LSD to "unwitting subjects in social situations."

Science channel link

I seems to get conflicting feedback from people I meet .... its a hoax ... its a government cover up ....

what do you guys think ?

~

Sometimes the government investigates things like that but finds nothing of use. They keep it a secret for several reasons (mainly they don't want to be criticized of wasting money). Just about every government around has a few here and there who push to study such things, and sometimes they get it. I dare say if anything of use were actually found we would never be told.

• Like 2

Just curious ... I know Project Paperclip (wiki link ) is as true as the historical records states but how about this one :

link

conspiracy bunk ?

Princeton edu link

Science channel link

I seems to get conflicting feedback from people I meet .... its a hoax ... its a government cover up ....

what do you guys think ?

~

not conspiracy bunk; the project was certainly real, but I think some of the things claimed of it were a little optimistic or exaggerated; all the stuff about mind control, for a start. There were a lot of things that the u.s. Govt, particularly in the 1950s, thought it might be worth spending sometimes not inconsiderable amounts on invesitgating, even if it largely turned out to be hogwash.

• Like 2

not conspiracy bunk; the project was certainly real, but I think some of the things claimed of it were a little optimistic or exaggerated; all the stuff about mind control, for a start. There were a lot of things that the u.s. Govt, particularly in the 1950s, thought it might be worth spending sometimes not inconsiderable amounts on invesitgating, even if it largely turned out to be hogwash.

What about the senate hearings Colonel ? and the victims ? the stories are pretty intense from what I've gathered .... scary even ...

~

• Like 1

What about the senate hearings Colonel ? and the victims ? the stories are pretty intense from what I've gathered .... scary even ...

~

Well, sometimes people claim all sorts of things, don't they, that the Govt. has been reading their mind, or attacking them with secret mind control weapons in order to drive them round the bend (often because they know too much about UFOs) :unsure2: ; but who knows, one of the reasons it was abandoned may have been because some of the things they tried did work, only not in the ways that they hoped, or in ways that might have been any use to them ... :unsure2:

• Like 1

Well, sometimes people claim all sorts of things, don't they, that the Govt. has been reading their mind, or attacking them with secret mind control weapons in order to drive them round the bend (often because they know too much about UFOs) :unsure2: ; but who knows, one of the reasons it was abandoned may have been because some of the things they tried did work, only not in the ways that they hoped, or in ways that might have been any use to them ... :unsure2:

That much I can understand ... its the stories of the 'disappearing' witnesses ... the senate hearings being plowed under with corruption investigations ...

The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989, igniting a major political scandal as part of the larger Savings and Loan crisis of the late 1980s and early 1990s. The five senators – Alan Cranston (Democrat of California), Dennis DeConcini (Democrat of Arizona), John Glenn (Democrat of Ohio), John McCain (Republican of Arizona), and Donald W. Riegle, Jr. (Democrat of Michigan) – were accused of improperly intervening in 1987 on behalf of Charles H. Keating, Jr., Chairman of the Lincoln Savings and Loan Association, which was the target of a regulatory investigation by the Federal Home Loan Bank Board (FHLBB). The FHLBB subsequently backed off taking action against Lincoln.

link

... then everyone seems to just 'forget' anything ever happened ... just like that //

John Glenn Interview link

The Senate Papers Sub-Group contains 569 cubic feet of records documenting John Glenn's twenty-four years in the United States Senate. First elected to the Senate in 1974, Glenn served four terms from 1975 through 1998. In addition, the sub-group contains the records of his unsuccessful election campaigns for the U.S. Senate in 1964 and 1970. Also included in the sub-group are materials documenting Glenn's political activities from 1965 to 1975, the period of time between his first unsuccessful bid for the U.S. Senate and his first elected term in office. Notable among these materials are records from Glenn's affiliation with the 1968 presidential campaign of Robert F. Kennedy. Other records cover his activities within the Ohio Democratic Party and his work as chairman of a task force formed by Governor John J. Gilligan in 1970 to study the environmental needs of the State of Ohio.

John Glenn papers link

John Glenn wiki link

Cold War Nonconsensual Experiments

3 Project MKULTRA, the CIA's Program of Research in Behavioral Modification before the ......

117 Senator John Glenn, Statements on Introduced Bills and Joint ...

pdf

Classified Experiments on Humans

This is the second time a major scandal involving human experiments for national security purposes has occurred. Past military and CIA experiments with toxic chemicals and for behavior modification were headline news in the 1970s. Congressional hearings uncovered illegal and extensive government programs including the CIA’s now infamous MKULTRA mind control experiments. As a result, a series of presidential executive orders were implemented.

link

the links that I collected years ago are disappearing fast .... :lol:

It does give pause to all the conspiracy theorists don;t you think ?

~

~

Sorry I can't provide a link, but I've read stories about the involvment of the Canadian school, McGill University, that was very much involved in the MKUltra project.

Project Paperclip was very real.

• Like 2

Sorry I can't provide a link, but I've read stories about the involvment of the Canadian school, McGill University, that was very much involved in the MKUltra project.

Project Paperclip was very real.

Yeah ... Paperclip was what started it all for me ... then I stumbled on Monarch ... then Ultra ... I think the Canadian school you are referring to .....is lost among the links I remember seeing it but I can't seem to locate it anymore .. maybe its among the links in my previous posts ... its been so long I don;t really remember all the details ... the red herrings ... the false doors ... the blind alleys ... it does take a toll on my poor memory capacity ....

:yes:

edit : corrected links reference

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Moon Landing Faked!!!—Why People Believe in Conspiracy Theories

Because some conspiracies are real, like the 9/11 a conspiracy, where a group of persons conspired to bring down the WTC

• Like 1

It is fun to see people use the existence of secret government project to claim conspiracies and then justify fantasies because governments keep secrets or were involved in some conspiracies.

A government secret does not mean conspiracy.

The existence of one conspiracy does not mean that another conspiracy has any basis.

• Like 3

Like Robert Bowman said, if they have nothing to hide, why are they hiding everything? Just as a rhetorical question. :tu:

• Like 1