Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nursing an infant in church ?

sear

More formal religions tend to be puritanical.

Not likely to see a Sunday gathering including topless women at the Presbyterian church.

And yet nursing infants is as natural as god could have made it.

So what's the rule?

have you seen this happen. i`m not a church goer, so does it happen?

Edited by freetoroam

I've been to "church", mainly in my childhood, under parental mandate.

For the most part I was kept in the basement with my non-lactating childhood peers.

But human nature: I'd be astounded if it doesn't happen.

Perhaps nursing mothers sit in the back row.

No telling what happens when the preacher's jaw suddenly drops to the lecturn, and his eyes bulge in his silence (except for that faint sucking sound).

note:

I introduced the topic out of curiosity for the alarm nudity seems to inspire among the ostensibly god-fearing.

Seems to an agnostic like me we shouldn't shy from the beauty of god's creations.

note:

I introduced the topic out of curiosity for the alarm nudity seems to inspire among the ostensibly god-fearing.

Seems to an agnostic like me we shouldn't shy from the beauty of god's creations.

:huh: Sounds somewhat contrived to me. Are you sure you didn't just want to encourage people to talk about breast-feeding?

• Like 1

For Protestants of any denomination I can see a problem with this. And indeed with most of society, as it seems as we become more technologicaly advanced and more seperated from the natural world, then we become more prudish. Yet, and I am serious here, there should not be a problem for Orthodox and Catholics as the images of Mary and Jesus are simply a version of Isis and Horus, and Horus is usually shown suckling at the breast of Isis. But I already hear the howls of rage at this, and on sooo many levels :)

• Like 1

Women usually are covered, I nurse all my kids and carry a blacket, no even knew, but if the women is flaunting it all over the place, thats another story :):)

• Like 2

Yah. I've known plenty of women who breastfed, and not one of them was ever topless while doing it.

I have zero issues with breastfeeding of course, but I wonder about common courtesy.

Do other people eat in church? Do other people feed babies bottles in church? Then go ahead and breastfeed.

Really though, if the church is full of judgmental, nosy people... when exactly are they worshiping god?

• Like 2

Only people that have nothing better to do then b**** about other people would complain.

People that worry mainly about themselves, and do not get involved with telling others how to live would have no problem with it at all.

Edited by Sakari

I see no problem with it. if the woman herself felt uncomfortable about it though she could always express and bottle feed there.

Really though a place of worship and a mother feeding her child, how can anyone see that as wrong.

I'd have more of an issue with her bringing the baby into the church in the first place.

Many churches provide a room in the back for women with babies or who need to breastfeed.

I would rather they provided me a room to do that in. Wouldn't want all those christian men looking at me.

Would rather they fed the kid than have to listen to it scream.

• Like 1

Why didn't you put this in the 'Religion' forum? ........... if you really wanted to know.

Well here's another question...what do they do about breastfeeding in places like the Middle East, where bodily modesty is a more austere matter?

I think people should be allowed to breast feed wherever they like (as long as it's safe.... not while they are driving or something!).

I breast fed my babies. Most people are advised to feed on demand now with babies, so you feed when the baby wants it and they generally fall in to their own routine. It's pretty hard to plan your life around when a baby will need feeding.

When you feed a baby, the kids head is in the way so even without a blanket or throw over, there really isn't much boob on display. Ladies can display way more boobage just by wearing a low cut top! Having said that, myself and any other mummy friends I know have used a lightweight cotton muslin throw when feeding in public.

I don't go to church, but if I did I would happily feed my kid there.

Plus in the UK we now have the Equality Act that came in 2010 I think it was. So you cannot be treat infavourably for breast feeding. If someone in the UK was breast feeding in church and was asked to leave (or asked to do it in the toilets which is a common request!) then those in charge in the organisation could find themselves in county court.

• Like 2