Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

12-foot beehive takes over US home

Still Waters

An Ogden beekeeper recently encountered in the Nordic Valley the largest hive he has ever seen.

Vic Bachmann, owner of Deseret Hive Supply, recently got a call from a woman in Eden requesting that a hive be removed from her father's cabin. Bricklin Bertagnolli said the hive had been there since 1996, but the family had decided to leave it alone since the bees never bothered anyone.

When the Bertagnollis moved into the cabin full-time while waiting for their home to be built, they decided that for the safety of their infant son, they should get rid of the bees.

http://www.ksl.com/?..._cid=featured-2

17 years the bees were there and then it takes man only 6 hours to wreck it. They were harmless, bet they will not forget that man is the danger in future.

Happy they called in a bee keeper to take them out and move them to a new home instead of wiping them out with an exterminator. We need our little bees. I don't mind them, but wouldn't want to be living with them either...especially a whole colony of them.

• Like 2

I agree Sarah. So many times the first people called are exterminators rather than beekeepers.

I kept bees for many years in the 80s and early 90s until I could no longer lift the hive boxes. In My opinion a hive that large should have been left alone but I do understand why they did it especially being it is on the edge of the Africanized honey bee area

I was glad they moved them instead of exterminating them. we NEED honey bees, and bumble bees and even wasps and black jacks and hornets ( and I hate hornets) and they should not be exterminated without serious thought as to the results of said extermination

• Like 1