Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hanging gardens of Babylon - not in Babylon

Still Waters

No trace of the Hanging Garden has ever been found in Babylon for the simple reason that this wonder of the ancient world was never there in the first place, according to an Oxford researcher.

Instead, the Hanging Garden was actually created 300 miles further north in Ninevah, a feat of artistic prowess achieved by the Assyrian civilisation under King Sennacherib, writes Stephanie Daley, a Research Fellow at Somerville College, Oxford.

For centuries, Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylonia, has been credited with the birth of a lavishly watered paradise in the fertile crescent of what is now central Iraq in the 6th century BC.

http://www.telegraph...in-Babylon.html

• Like 2

Aaah. Now those german archeologists are to pack their bags and drive down to nineveh.

I thought there was some conclusive evidence suggesting that the hanging gardens were in fact in Babylon? I must of thought wrong then...

I thought there was some conclusive evidence suggesting that the hanging gardens were in fact in Babylon? I must of thought wrong then...

I remember having seen a documentary on those Hanging Gardens of Babylon (in Babylon). It was about the technology involved needed to water the gardens.

i want to go!

maybe they are looking at the wrong places like they did with the lost city of Atlantis?because almost everyone i think believes that that because its named ATLANTIS ITS LOCATED IN THE Atlantic ocean well nothing as ever been found there.i would get into details but that's my point more than likely its somewhere else!

maybe they are looking at the wrong places like they did with the lost city of Atlantis?because almost everyone i think believes that that because its named ATLANTIS ITS LOCATED IN THE Atlantic ocean well nothing as ever been found there.i would get into details but that's my point more than likely its somewhere else!

If you do know so much about the location of Atlantis, why don't you give the coordinates to us.

(As if you are really going to find the coordinates to a fictitious place, ha!)

MAybe the hanging gardens are a myth like Atlantis.

I remember having seen a documentary on those Hanging Gardens of Babylon (in Babylon). It was about the technology involved needed to water the gardens.

And this is that documentary:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp6QMLQsi7k[/media]

It's from years (??) ago, and already they say it is most likely the Hanging Gardens were in Ninevéh.

+++

EDIT:

It's from 1999.

Edited by Abramelin

Nebuchadnezzar is still fondly remembered in the Middle East, largely because he captured Jerusalem in 586 BC. But Dr Dalley takes him down a peg, arguing that he did not create a wondrous garden and his reputation as another Alexander was overblown. "After his death legends inflated Nebuchadnezzar's achievements, giving him an undeserved reputation as a world conqueror," she writes.

~added bold mine~

the OT documents was also wrong about this then ?

He was ruler of his local "world" ?

'Iam Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylon, the exalted prince, the wise, the pious, the chief son of Nabopolassar, King of Babylon... To Marduk, my lord, I made supplication: Oh, eternal prince, lord of all being, guide in a straight path the king whom thou lovest... Thou hast created me, entrusting me with dominion over all people.'

royal proclamation discovered by archaeologists in the ruins of Babylon.

http://www.towards-s...uchadnezzar.htm

* no hanging gardens in Babylon ? what next!? no camels in camelot!?*

Edited by lightly

Hanging_Gardens_of_Babylon.gif

Drawing of a bas-relief from the palace of Sennacherib’s grandson in Nineveh, showing what is now believed to have been the Hanging Gardens. Credit: Stephanie Dalley

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2013/05/06/Academic-Fabled-hanging-garden-existed-but-not-in-Babylon/UPI-68931367884513/

27. The Northern Palace and the Gardens:

What may have lain on the other side of the Arabtu-canal, which here made a bend to the Northwest, and flowed out of the Euphrates somewhat higher up, is uncertain; but in the extreme North of the city was the palace now represented by the ruin called Babil. This was likewise built by Nebuchadrezzar, but it may be doubted whether it was really founded by him. The presence of traces of wells here made Hormuzd Rassam think that this was probably the site of the Hanging Gardens, but further exploration is needed to decide the point, though it may be regarded as not unlikely that this identification is correct. In that case it would represent the palace shown in the Assyrian saloon at the British Museum—a building apparently protected by three walls, and adorned with columns resting on the backs of lions in an attitude of walking. On the adjoining slab is a representation of a small building—also with columns—on a hill. A figure of a king sculptured on a stele is seen on the left, with an altar in front of it, showing that divine honors were paid to him. The hill is thickly wooded with trees which may be olives, poplars, etc., and on the right is a series of arches on which other trees are planted. Irrigation channels stretch in a long stream to the left and in shorter streams to the right. As this belongs to the time of Ashur-bani-apli, about 650 BC, and refers to that king’s operations against his brother Samas-sum-ukin, the king of Babylon, it is clear that something similar to the Hanging Gardens existed before the time of Nebuchadrezzar, and therefore, if it was his queen who had them made, before the time of their reputed founder. This would be the point first reached by the Assyrian army when advancing to the attack. Such a park as is represented here with its hills and streams, and thickly planted trees, must have made the palace in the vicinity the pleasantest, in all probability, in all Babylonia, and excited the admiration of every one who visited the sights of the city.

http://www.heraldmag.org/olb/Contents/dictionaries/0BISBE.htm

=>> http://www.plinia.net/wonders/gardens/hg4relief.html

The "Hanging Gardens of Babylon" were probably it's abandoned ruins, overgrown with vegetation, which gave the place a romantic and picturesque aspect, especially from the point-of-view of river travelers.

Edited by hammerclaw