Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

YouTube to start charging a fee

Ashotep

"paying for a subscription may remove the ads, reports the Daily Mail."

considering that right next to that story is an immensely irritating (even with the sound off) ad for Snickers, that doesn't seem all that much a bad idea, I have to say.

• Like 2

I use Google Chrome as my primary browser. I installed a few select plugins years ago and I haven't dealt with a single YouTube ad since. I actually forget that all the popular videos have a 15sec. advertisement as my plugins block those too! I have a very ad-free browsing experience in general. To anyone who hasn't done something similar, I highly, highly recommend it.

• Like 2

Well now you must share the names of these plugins. :P

Well now you must share the names of these plugins. :P

Adblock Plus (1.4) blocks all YouTube ads. It's a free download you get through Chrome itself. Just go to settings-->extensions-->"Get More Extensions" and search for it there :)

• Like 2

QUOTE-

'the web search giant has been trying to monetize its video streaming service since it bought YouTube in 2006 for a whopping $1.6billion'

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/06/google-stock-heats-up-the-video-streaming-wars.aspx

does it really come as any suprise to anyone....?

in fact, the only suprising thing really, is that it took them so long to do it!

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 2

QUOTE-

'the web search giant has been trying to monetize its video streaming service since it bought YouTube in 2006 for a whopping $1.6billion'

http://www.fool.com/...aming-wars.aspx

does it really come as any suprise to anyone....?

in fact, the only suprising thing really, is that it took them so long to do it!

Holy Mother of God, "monetize"? Please take that journalist out and shoot him, eventually, after torturing him for a bit.

• Like 1

This is good news for Vimeo

https://vimeo.com/

• Like 2

Ad block works well.

• Like 1

Holy Mother of God, "monetize"? Please take that journalist out and shoot him, eventually, after torturing him for a bit.

after i'd started typing, I even had to go back to the web page to make sure i'd got it right!

:-o

• Like 1

Adblock Plus (1.4) blocks all YouTube ads. It's a free download you get through Chrome itself. Just go to settings-->extensions-->"Get More Extensions" and search for it there :)

I swear by Adblock plus as well. best plugin ever. :tu:

• Like 2

I swear by Adblock plus as well. best plugin ever. :tu:

Kind of ironic that they are trying to "monetize" YouTube, yet Google themselves offer a free browser plugin that instantly removes ALL advertising lol

• Like 2

Kind of ironic that they are trying to "monetize" YouTube, yet Google themselves offer a free browser plugin that instantly removes ALL advertising lol

Haha, yeah.

I should have said before, it's on Firefox as well. I use it on Firefox.

What I like the most in the UK is that the on demand TV sites have ads and it blocks them as well. lol

Haha, yeah.

I should have said before, it's on Firefox as well. I use it on Firefox.

What I like the most in the UK is that the on demand TV sites have ads and it blocks them as well. lol

Oh sweet! Yeah I haven't had actual TV for a few years now...the internet has really taken off with the amount of free, available media. My wife actually goes to the official websites of stations that host the shows she watches and she can watch entire episodes right there! (With commercials appropriately timed throughout the episode, mostly to break up the stream into smaller segments but we don't mind since we never really see ads anymore :) )

• Like 1

Oh sweet! Yeah I haven't had actual TV for a few years now...the internet has really taken off with the amount of free, available media. My wife actually goes to the official websites of stations that host the shows she watches and she can watch entire episodes right there! (With commercials appropriately timed throughout the episode, mostly to break up the stream into smaller segments but we don't mind since we never really see ads anymore :) )

Same in our house, we stopped paying the TV license last year and never looked back. Internet is amazing, I just hope it stays that way and UN doesn't clamp down on it. lol

Charging for premium content? That doesn't suprise me at all... now whether anyone will pay for their premium content is another story all together.

I suspect as time goes on more and more of the free videos we all watch on Youtube will be pay subscription. In the end only channels like mine with 0 views will be free.

Charging for premium content? That doesn't suprise me at all... now whether anyone will pay for their premium content is another story all together.

If they take the .99¢ iTunes approach it'll take off. Millions of people don't mind micro transactions. Few people fall for $4.99. I could be wrong.

Check out how that system is doing in games thus far.. Pretty well wouldn't one say.

I wouldn't be surprised if this move is to try and experiment with offsetting lost ad revenue from these jokers with ad blocking extensions.