Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Three US women missing for years found alive

CuriousLittleOne

Eldest hostage Michelle has told police there was another girl in the home and feared she could be dead but Castro also claimed there were no more victims.

so .... who's lying here???

I read in another article that there was the name of another woman who the women claim was once with them and then she was taken from the home and RIP was scrawled next to her name in the basement. Who wrote the name, and the RIP are in question. But considering that the person or people who held these women hostage are IMHO some of the scariest type predators out there I would have to side with the women who survived before I'd believe anything that came out of his mouth. Playing games is a part of the makeup of sexual predators, it's how they get close to their victims or as Ariel Castro is claimed to have done, gone to the rally for Amanda Berry and consoled her Mother and talked to her family and helped put up fliers.It's another way for them to feel that rush of control power and to check to see if they are suspected, gloat and feed off that pain.This goes beyond Ted Bundy who was a very scary predator because it takes a completely different type of personality to keep someone alive and hostage for 10 years. *shudders*

Mabon.

• Like 1

The daughter of the man accused of imprisoning three women for about a decade in the US city of Cleveland has broken down in tears during a morning TV interview.

"I would have to say I'm really disappointed, embarrassed, mainly devastated about the whole situation," Arlene Castro told ABC News' Good Morning America.

Ms Castro was one of the last people to see 23-year-old Gina DeJesus, the youngest of the three women held, before she went missing, aged 14.

"I would like to say [to Ms DeJesus], I am so, so sorry," a tearful Ms Castro said. "I really want to see you and I want you to meet my kids. I'm so, so sorry."

Her father, 52-year-old Ariel Castro, is charged with kidnap and rape.

• Like 2

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22446157

READ READ READ READ READ READ

Ariel Castro's house at 2207 Seymour Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, is yet to give up many of its secrets.

What lies inside the run-down clapboard house where Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight are said to have spent their captivity?

The house appears to have been the scene of a double life - as Mr Castro's home and as a kidnap den where he is alleged to have held three women captive for almost a decade.

The two-storey building stands right in the middle of a tree-lined street in Cleveland's West Side neighbourhood - a working class area home to a close-knit community.

Few details have been confirmed about what it contains, but some facts are known.

Mr Castro bought the house in 1992 for $12,000 (£7,750), according to the Cuyahoga County Auditor's office. In 2012, it was valued at $36,100 (£23,300).

The property currently faces foreclosure over the non-payment of taxes, with Mr Castro owing some $2,501 (£1,615) in taxes for the period 2010-12.

Ariel Castro's son, Anthony - who says he visited the house just two weeks ago - told MailOnline that the doors to the basement, the attic and the garage were always padlocked and family members were not allowed to go there.

Anthony Castro described his father as a violent and controlling man, who beat him and nearly killed his mother in the early 1990s.

After years of abuse, his mother decided to move out of the house in 1996, taking him and his three sisters with her, Mr Castro said.

"It's astonishing to even think... that I was so close to that. That I was physically at the house two weeks ago while that was going on, it's a lot to grasp," he said.

Police are yet to release any pictures from the inside of the property, but one law enforcement official has described the conditions there as "abysmal at best". i really wanna see their "home"

Rather than celebrating their birthdays, in a bizarre ritual, the captor would apparently give his victims cake to mark their "abduction day", one victim's cousin was quoted as telling US media. WTF!

A police report suggests the women were all initially kept chained in the cellar, but eventually allowed to live on the second floor of the house.

In recent years, the kidnapper was occasionally seen walking in the area with a young girl - apparently Jocelyn, whom he fathered with Miss Berry and with whom he also visited relatives, reported the New York Times.

One cousin from Ohio said Mr Castro had visited with a well-presented girl a couple of years ago, whom the suspect had introduced as his granddaughter.

A police report suggests Jocelyn was born in a plastic pool and delivered with the assistance of Miss Knight.

Miss Knight had told police her captor had threatened to kill her if the baby died, says the New York Times report.

She said Jocelyn stopped breathing at one stage, but that she had administered mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to keep her alive.

Edited by CuriousLittleOne
  • Like 2

I read in another article that there was the name of another woman who the women claim was once with them and then she was taken from the home and RIP was scrawled next to her name in the basement. Who wrote the name, and the RIP are in question. But considering that the person or people who held these women hostage are IMHO some of the scariest type predators out there I would have to side with the women who survived before I'd believe anything that came out of his mouth. Playing games is a part of the makeup of sexual predators, it's how they get close to their victims or as Ariel Castro is claimed to have done, gone to the rally for Amanda Berry and consoled her Mother and talked to her family and helped put up fliers.It's another way for them to feel that rush of control power and to check to see if they are suspected, gloat and feed off that pain.This goes beyond Ted Bundy who was a very scary predator because it takes a completely different type of personality to keep someone alive and hostage for 10 years. *shudders*

Mabon.

Can you tell me where you read this? I know another girl went missing around the same time the other girls did, and I have been wondering if he might have taken her too.

• Like 2

I'm not saying the new source is reliable... http://www.examiner....or-more-victims

Thanks for posting!

But there IS a girl still missing: http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-cleveland-woman-ashley-summers-grandmother-child/story?id=19136612#.UYvz80rhfTo

Missing Cleveland Woman Ashley Summers' Grandmother: 'Our Child Is Still Out There'

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michele Knight are returning to their families after being held captive for a decade -- but the family of another girl missing for years from the same Cleveland neighborhood still is searching.

Ashley Summers was 14 when she went missing in July 2007, ABC Cleveland affiliate WEWS-TV reported.

When Summers vanished, authorities believed she might be linked to the other missing women.

But at a news conference Wednesday, Cleveland Deputy Police Chief Ed Tomba said investigators asked witnesses in the Berry-DeJesus-Knight case about Summers and did not uncover a connection.

"There is no new information that's come to light about her," Tomba said. "Ashley Summers is an active, open investigation."

According to missing person's foundation 411GINA.org, Summers packed her clothes and took them with her when she left home. Authorities believe she left on her own will.

She reportedly called her mother, Jennifer Summers, a month after she went missing to say she was OK, according to 411GINA.org, but her whereabouts still remain unknown.

Summers' grandmother, Theresa Harris, 52, told ABC News that while she's happy that the other missing girls were reunited with their families, she feels "frustrated" that no new information has come out regarding her granddaughter's case.

Taken from http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-cleveland-woman-ashley-summers-grandmother-child/story?id=19136612#.UYvz80rhfTo

Unknown. Her photo is shown age-progressed to 18 years. She was last seen on July 9, 2007 on West 96th Street near Madison Avenue in Cleveland, Ohio. Summers packed all her clothes and took them with her. She called her mother a month after she disappeared to tell her that she was okay and not to worry. A relative saw her on West 44th Street and saw that Summers had cut her hair short and dyed it blonde. Although authorities believe Summers left on her own, she hasn't been seen or heard from since 2007. An FBI spokesman said there is no indication of foul play, but it is possible she is being held against her will. Her whereabouts remain unknown and her case remains unsolved.

Taken from http://www.411gina.org/ashleynicolesummers.htm

• Like 1

Hopefully Ashley Summers will understand the concern after the news broke about the other women (and if indeed she did run away) will let her relatives know that she is alive and ok. If she was abducted I hope that she gets to return home soon.

Mabon.

They are going to (try) charge him with murder

An Ohio prosecutor has said he may seek aggravated murder charges that could carry the death penalty for the man accused of imprisoning three women at his home for a decade.

Cuyahoga County prosecutor Thomas McGinty said the murder charges would be related to multiple pregnancies Ariel Castro allegedly terminated by force while holding the women captive.

Mr McGinty said Ohio law calls for the death penalty for the "most depraved criminals who commit aggravated murder during the course of a kidnapping".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/ohio-kidnap-suspect-may-face-murder-charges-202629802.html#ozq14sU

• Like 2

Are you willing to elaborate? I don't understand what circumstances you think differentiate?

Mabon.

If an 18 year old at a party is convicted of raping an intoxicated girl, he should absolutely be prosecuted, but i don't think that means he is no longer able to be a healthy functioning individual. Mistakes were made, but i find it different than someone who violently targets a girl. As most experts say, violent rapists have issues where sex is not the primary reason. some rapes do not fall into the same catagory. All are b*******, but some are screwed up in the head.

That man is so sick and horrible. I read today where he was forcing them to have miscarriages. Plus this other woman they can't find. What did he do to her? I hope he does get the death penalty.

• Like 3

Re: those who had called for the torture of the three Castro brothers.

Those who at first wanted to torture and kill the three Castro brothers in the most inhumane of ways, lucky you did not get the chance to personally do so, you who did that owe the two others brothers an apology.

We cannot fully expect that, but those who did call for torture and inhumane treatment of innocents, you are just as sick on some level. The reason we have a sickness in this country is not because of those who do the worst of crimes, it is also because of those who would call for torture of others, all contribute to the overall sickness.

Soon after the three women were found, Castro and two of his brothers who were with him were taken into custody.

Over the next two days, authorities officials “found no facts to link” Onil and Pedro Castro to the kidnappings — though both brothers will appear in Cleveland Municipal Court on Thursday related to outstanding warrants on misdemeanor cases on other matters.

“Ariel kept everybody at a distance,” Tomba said of the suspect, explaining why even his brothers and other family members (Castro talked on Facebook about having five grandchildren) apparently were in the dark.

If those who still want torture and inhumane treatment of Ariel Castro, he definitely deserves punishment as prescribed by the law, but to the rest, if you could go back in time and eliminate Ariel Castro as a human, would you? Would you do it to spare these newer victims?

Well too late someone already robbed a part of humanity from him and you would just be in league with that company: his own parents and uncle.

"I am a sexual predator," Ariel Castro allegedly wrote in a 2004 letter police found in his dingy home. "I need help."

Castro claimed that his parents abused him and that his uncle raped him as a child, according to CBS News.

<snip>

Upon his death, Castro wrote, all of his money should be distributed to the victims.

<snip>

Castro had also waived his Miranda rights and answered questions put to him by police, Deputy Chief Ed Tomba said at the evening press conference.

Ariel Castro's Alleged Suicide Note Includes Confession About Cleveland Kidnapping

It would seem Ariel Castro knows the horror of his crimes, by waving his rights, and hopefully this will be a speedy trial that does not include dragging in the victims [if they do not want to be involved], if they do then they will, but thankfully this is in the state's hands and not the hands of those with insensible minds who would resort to torture as a first impulse.

Rethink your stance for future instances, your sense of justice and what is right is warped, it would have caused harm and torture to two innocent men.

There are also many more missing from Cleveland from different periods. There is also the most innocent victim of this: the 6 year old child.

The relationship between her and her mother is going to pose issues most parents and children (even if you are all grown up now) cannot ever understand.

There are products of rape all over the world, some very close to home for me.

In the Americas not so long ago, within the early part of the last century someone could still be kidnapped and raped and then forced by all of society, including their family to marry.

In the United States particularly, in the 1960s, someone could still be forced into a marriage. Rape might not have been involved but a forced marriage was and having no choice but to have children with that person.

Imagine being the grandchild or child of one of these marriages, or being in them yourself?

Also in Bosnia there are a whole generation of children who are the product of rape.

These are all the people who are forgotten, whose parents might look at them and feel something other parents do not when looking at their children.

Something to consider.

If an 18 year old at a party is convicted of raping an intoxicated girl, he should absolutely be prosecuted, but i don't think that means he is no longer able to be a healthy functioning individual. Mistakes were made, but i find it different than someone who violently targets a girl. As most experts say, violent rapists have issues where sex is not the primary reason. some rapes do not fall into the same catagory. All are b*******, but some are screwed up in the head.

I think the only thing we agree on is that all rapist should be prosecuted, but the rest, Wow! I strongly disagree with.

Think about what you're saying, an 18 yr old raping an intoxicated person is a mistake. 18 is the average age for a rapist to start acting on their impulse to rape. Rapist when they are starting out want victims that will resist the least because they are inexperienced at controlling a victim. Even if it is a crime of opportunity this still is a fantasy for the person who commits the act and doesn't mean they won't re-offend but indeed may escalate. It used to be locker room humor that all women wanted to have sex but had to say no or look loose. Ply them with drinks so their inhibitions were lower and they wouldn't fight or would say yes. This mentality is from the 50's but continues to this day.

A mistake isn't raping someone! It's a freaking horrible crime! Calling it a mistake, while grammatically technically correct, makes it sound trivial or accidental. Like the two football players who raped the girl from West Virginia,(she was underage, a drunk child they raped) you could tell that they didn't think they had done anything wrong... until they were convicted. If that had been my son, first I'd have wondered what the hell I had done wrong raising him if he thought taking advantage of a person who was incapacitated and raping them or seeing/knowing that it was happening yet doing nothing to prevent it was normal acceptable behavior. Second if his sentence didn't last until he turned 18 his butt would be going to military academy until he turned 18, with plenty of counseling until he graduated. After he finished military school he would be dead to me! It would be good by, good luck don't ever contact me again. and I mean every word I've written!

An example of a ply with drinks rapist and the boyfriend (an ex marine) who tricked the guy into confessing!

http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/police-victims-boyfriend-tricks-alleged-rapist-517415330 Good on this guy!

Mabon.

• Like 1

More thoughts: if you could go back in time and take care of Ariel Castro, would you also take care of his parents and uncle? Then their parents and family who probably victimized them? And keep going back?

Imagine all those you would tortue and kill by then.

How many would you torture today? There are plenty of humans with issues who do horrible things now. How many would you kill? What kind of human would you be then? An animal or monster or just a human?

What you have in common with Ariel Castro is you too do not value human life. You would dehumanize another.

You would take us back to the stone age with your ideas of torture being right in and "under certain circumstances".

It is never right.

And some want to stiffen their jaw and hold onto their belief that torture for some is OK.

Or they want to laugh about it and want a pat on their back because they want to hurt the bad guys.

In the end they do have something in common with the bad guys, does not matter if you never tortured anyone, fact is you would and they could turn out to be innocent.

The fact some would torture and hold on to their beliefs makes them like the bad guys. They can reevaluate and change their ideas of right and wrong in order not to share this common feature with them.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

Leave Brittany Alone,

Sometimes when a case like this comes along people need to blow off steam. Thinking the most dire extreme thing to do to a perpetrator is a way for them to do so without actually harming someone, it's like playing Diablo or other violent video game (no actual demons were harmed). Now people in this thread have been expressing their rage but none have crossed the line into graphic description, which considering this board is PG 13, is commendable. But push come to shove, I don't think anyone who has made comments would actually carry through. It might be best to save some of energy that you have and turn it toward the topic not trying to instill better morals in the other posters, whom unless they are typing from prison, are doing fine.

You brought up the suicide letter that he wrote back in 2004. In the letter he admits that he knows he is a predator and needs help.... so why didn't he turn himself in instead of abducting three women? If he had the presence of mind to know that he wasn't normal he could have stopped himself and gotten help before committing a series of criminal acts. This does happen, people who have been abused and molested themselves know what happened to them isn't normal and there are a lot of complicated feeling for victims of childhood abuse (sexual, physical and emotional) to sort out or they are at high risk of being offenders themselves. Mostly it's because they have a lot of rage, self image issues and feelings of powerlessness. Their views of sex are skewed if they have been sexually victimized and a segment of abuse victims honestly may not know what is inappropriate sexual interaction however, most do. This is a perfect opportunity to let victims know that the time to get help is prior to them offending in their own right and that they should reach out and not carry or try to sort out what happened to them by themselves. Reach out often and make enough noise to get the help they need so the cycle of abuse can stop!

I have great skepticism about his intent to commit suicide or anything in that letter mostly because no one has said anything to indicate that he suffered from depression or indicated through other clues that he felt this way, of course it is early in the case. Most people who honestly intend to commit suicide indicate several ways that they are in crisis prior to killing themselves. Mostly the news reports are that he was a violent controlling person or the flip he was a nice easy going fellow, which is the mask or game face predators wear to hide the rage monster that lives within them.

You talk about the children of rape and this is pertinent to the issue considering there is a six year old child. Not everyone can view a child who is the product of rape with love or acceptance if they can good on them, if they can't I understand that too. It's not anyone place to tell another person how or what they should feel about a circumstance as personal as carrying a child of rape. In Bosnia or other countries plagued by war where rape is apart of the terror of the landscape of that war it does pose a different problem or series of emotions because of a large number of the population/generation being the offspring of rape. Granted the children of rape if brought to term should be placed in a loving home if the biological Mother cannot deal with the emotions of having the child of her rapist. No one should have to deal with something that is beyond their emotional capacity to handle. I do understand it isn't the fault of the child, it didn't ask to be conceived the way it was and it deserves a life free of the stigma of it's birth. I also don't see the point of ruining two lives for some antiquated notion of dealing with your shame at being raped. Which is why I don't believe in marrying the rapist, that is an antiquated notion which equates women as chattel and once used by a man, unless that man takes her for himself is soiled goods. Women aren't chattel and the days of blaming the victim are over! It's well past time to put the blame where it belongs, on the rapist!

Mabon.

• Like 2

What an angel. Yeah, let's just give him a hug.

EXCLUSIVE: How Cleveland 'kidnapper' told his wife what to eat, how to wear her skirts, even ordered her into a cardboard box and eventually he 'killed her'

• Ariel Castro was 'obsessive' about ordering around his first wife, Grimilda Figueroa, according to her sister Elida Caraballo
  • Grimilda Figueroa died last year of injuries that her family claims were caused by Castro
  • Mrs Caraballo said that Castro once ordered her sister,to go into a cardboard box and not get out until he said so

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322248/Ariel-Castro-Cleveland-kidnapper-told-wife-eat-wear-skirts-ordered-cardboard-box.html

• Like 3

What an angel. Yeah, let's just give him a hug.

EXCLUSIVE: How Cleveland 'kidnapper' told his wife what to eat, how to wear her skirts, even ordered her into a cardboard box and eventually he 'killed her'

• Ariel Castro was 'obsessive' about ordering around his first wife, Grimilda Figueroa, according to her sister Elida Caraballo
  • Grimilda Figueroa died last year of injuries that her family claims were caused by Castro
  • Mrs Caraballo said that Castro once ordered her sister,to go into a cardboard box and not get out until he said so

http://www.dailymail...dboard-box.html

Anyone remember the guide book on how and when to beat your wife? It caused uproar, perhaps unsurprisingly...

AN Islamic marriage guide that advises Muslim men on how to beat and control their wives has sparked outrage.

The 160-page 'A Gift For Muslim Couple' tells husbands they may beat wives “by hand or stick” or “pull her by the ears”.

Women are told they must not leave the house without permission.

A wife should “beautify herself” for her man and “fulfil his desires”.

And if she disobeys, a husband may “restrain her with strength or threaten her”.

http://www.thesun.co...g-the-wife.html

(Kindly note I have 'just' linked to an article and certainly do NOT share the opinions or beliefs of the content. it highlights tho that are certain cultural beliefs, or religious, that dont do women any favors at all)

And another source said

"But within the book's opening pages it states that 'it might be necessary to restrain her with strength or even to threaten her.' It continues: 'The husband should treat the wife with kindness and love, even if she tends to be stupid and slow sometimes.' :td:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2119846/Muslim-guide-marriage-tells-husbands-beat-hand-stick.html

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Addressing the Daily mail article on Ariel Castro beating and controlling his first wife submitted by Sweetpumper...Why in the name of heaven didn't her sister call the cops? If this article is to be believed the family knew and did nothing. Again the conspiracy of silence. *shakes head*

Seeder, it's this type of thinking that has outlived it's time but then in my opinion it never had a time to begin with! Advocating through religion or culture the subjugation of women and children is a blight on the human species!

Mabon.

• Like 2

More hugs for this misunderstood angel.

The Police Interrogation: Ariel Castro Showed No Remorse, Blamed Victims & Called Himself ‘Cold Blooded’

Posted on May 10, 2013 @ 6:53AM | By David Perel

22275079.jpg?w=236&h=236&crop=1

Landov/Splash News

Ariel Castro remembered the days he kidnapped Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight with precise details, recalling what the girls were wearing, how he met them and took their freedom.

During a police interrogation before he was arraigned, Castro blamed the victims for their own plight and was described as “cocky” and trying to control the interview, sources told WKYC-TV.

Edited by Sweetpumper
  • Like 1

Mabon, thanks for your views and taking the time to read and respond.

Yes, the days of forced marriages and blaming the victim are over.

My point was that some of us are familiar with this angle and awkward family situation, we can see this story has another important angle, and it is not condoning forced marriages...not at all. Just that there are issues not everyone will understand unless they have their own situat)s is about compassion and empathy because some of us have a connection to this case and can relate on some fundamental level.

--------------

--------------

I don't agree with the death penalty but I do believe in the maximum sentence being prescribed for these type of crimes.

It creates a mental dichotomy to hold two opposing views.

I will still advocate for no DP on a general basis.

I will still advocate for the maximum punishment as prescribed by the rule of law to be meted out.

Ariel Castro punched his victims when they became pregnant. Forced abortions.

Now I cannot fathom this horror. I cannot understand who would do that! I feel sick thinking about it and am outraged. How could my own human family do this.

Poor girls. The babies who could have been, wish they had the chance to live. Or at least the mother's had a choice of whether or not to abort.

Send our positive energy to them and if you have it in you also send to the tortured soul of Ariel Castro. I do not have it in me to do so, maybe others can, maybe I will someday. For now I just am outraged but more so I am hurt and wounded that someone in my human family had to suffer so much. Yet the way I feel is infinitely smaller than what they can and will go through. I feel guilty to feel so bad knowing my life will go on and theirs will to but in another form with this as a lifetimes plague of memory and emotion and constant reminders.

And you are right, can't blame the mother if they don't have it in them, to love a product of rape, so the child suffers maybe, and thus their child in the next generation so Ariel Castro devastates generations here. Those who have this in their family will understand.

Healing takes time but it can take so much it spans lifetimes and generations.

Those who want to harm others know what you will do if you go through. Even the drunk date rape or coercion rapes ruin generations. There is no levels of rape, they destroy all equally.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

I'm sending some seriously negative energy Ariel's way.

• Like 1