Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Texas anarchist group fires world's first 3-D

Commander CMG

A Texas anarchist group has successfully produced the first-ever gun produced on a 3-D printer and made entirely of plastic parts.

An era of unlicensed plastic guns, made on 3-D printers costing as little as $1,000, has long been forecast, but no one has previously designed a weapon that could withstand the pressure of firing modern ammunition.

On Sunday, the group Defense Distributed posted a video of founder Cody Wilson firing the 'Liberator' plastic pistol.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Well, unless they pull a technological rabbit out of some hat somewhere, that is going to make metal detectors at airports useless. I must say I'm of two minds about that. It will mean they have to put armed marshals on airplanes (where they don't already) and the idea of inflight gunfights does not appeal. Still, it may also mean one less queue at airports.

If it turns out the marshals and pat-downs and other measures are insufficient, then maybe the airline industry is in trouble: either that or civil privacy will take a nosedive.

ohh joy. More full body scanners then.

Just hope that more idiots like this one publicly display themselves still in the "fun" stage before it can eleborate into anything else.

Should make the law enforement's job easier, are 3d printers commonly available to the general public yet?

Three-D printers appear to be a technology that is going to revolutionize manufacturing. It eliminates the need for parts suppliers and the networks they entail, enables local manufacture of almost anything on an on-order one-off basis, and will eliminate shipping of finished goods. We will see.

lol, metal guns, detectable (or so we thought) were brought thru tsa checkpoints on multiple ocasions. i really don't care about these guns, not being detected, since metal ones are missed.

also the guy has ffl, a permision from federal gvmnt to build firearms, plastic or metal. he is licensed gun manufacturer not Texas anarchist, got to love media b.s. aimed at sheeps.\

Wilson was subsequently questioned by the ATF Since then he has been granted his full gun licence which ables him to manufacture and distribute his created pieces online,

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

lol, metal guns, detectable (or so we thought) were brought thru tsa checkpoints on multiple ocasions. i really don't care about these guns, not being detected, since metal ones are missed.

also the guy has ffl, a permision from federal gvmnt to build firearms, plastic or metal. he is licensed gun manufacturer not Texas anarchist, got to love media b.s. aimed at sheeps.\

Wilson was subsequently questioned by the ATF Since then he has been granted his full gun licence which ables him to manufacture and distribute his created pieces online,

Texas anarchist - that was kind of funny.

So it can be made for "less than $1,000" - if you have a 3D Printing machine that is.

Yes, the tech is coming, but this is much ado about nothing in my opinion.

• Like 1

ohh joy. More full body scanners then.

Full body scanners are easily defeated by putting something thick between your skin and the object your trying to pass through. When you do this the skanner is unable to see the objuect because its too far from where they are scanning. The body scanners are nothing more than a financial boondoggle. The former head of DHS owns the body scanning company which should have clued everyone in from day one. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Just hope that more idiots like this one publicly display themselves still in the "fun" stage before it can eleborate into anything else.

Should make the law enforement's job easier, are 3d printers commonly available to the general public yet?

http://cubify.com/cu...CFS9dQgodASMAUA Yep. Cheaper than guns too. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

not at all, while you may hide what you have , but you can't hide the fact that you hiding something, body scaner will show an "area of interest": that would be inspected farther by pat down or strip search. as for former dhs head owing the company that makes scaners, well, true, wise buissnes desision, i would too do same if i could, but no matter what, his product will always be in demand all over the world.

• Like 1

Unless they carry plastic bullets and are strong enough to withstand multiple shots, this isn't too much to worry about.

• Like 1

I would hate to feel the kick on a plastic gun.

• Like 3

I would hate to feel the kick on a plastic gun.

or a paintball

Downloads to print this gun has reached 100,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-22464360

Then it will be a matter of time before people injuring themselves with these guns reach the dozens.

or a paintball

Paintball guns have recoil?

iono never had one so...

Strikes me as a lot of hype over almost nothing. It's not hard to make a decent gun with the right tools.

Then it will be a matter of time before people injuring themselves with these guns reach the dozens.

Paintball guns have recoil?

iono never had one so...

No I ment being hit by a paintball with a paintball gun and without wearing any protection

Oh, "the kick on a plastic gun", has to do with recoil.

One time at the range I got to shoot an AR-15. God it was so easy to use, no recoil at all!!!!

Then I got to use a WWII-era rifle. God it pushed my shoulder back! The next day it was all bruised up and badly sore.

• Like 1

This has to be the creepiest story I've heard in a long time. Plastic is in everything, but I suspect the kind of plastic they're using isn't your average.

The bullets won't be invisible, you can be sure about that, but how hard is it to hide a few?

The problem with the feds attempting to ban this, is that it's pointless. They're only fanning the flames with fear.

The obvious solution is to start selling them, and learn to detect them that way. Fear of them will only make matters worse.

You can be sure that terrorists everywhere are building them now, as fast as they can.

I'm willing to bet that the plastic they're using has unique properties that can easily be detected by dogs and eventually instruments, the same as any explosive chemical.

You don't fight fire with fear. Never!

This doesn't seem creepy to me at all. Not understanding the hype either.

Reagan put out a ban on plastic guns but it has since expired. That did not fan any flames of war.

Now the "invisible cloak" you can print out with a 3D printer had me excited until I actually read what it was. only invisible to microwaves, meh.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!