Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Conservative Christ

supervike

I'm sure some will hate it and some will love it but it does make you think. I don't think it will cause mass riots.

• Like 4

It is a work of art and should be treated as such.

This, in the artist's view, is the conservative version of Christ: Uncaring, holding onto wealth and raising a firearm to the skies.

I see it as a liberal Christ. Uncaring, taking the gun and keeping the money himself. Kneel before me.

• Like 2

I see it as a liberal Christ. Uncaring, taking the gun and keeping the money himself. Kneel before me.

I thought liberals wanted to take you gun away and heavily tax the rich so the money could be spread around.

They just want to insure no lunatics or criminals have guns while fairly taxing the rich.

That seems to be the rationale behind universal background checks and closing loopholes in the tax code.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

I thought liberals wanted to take you gun away and heavily tax the rich so the money could be spread around.

They want to tax everybody, however they want to spin it.

• From the article: "In my understanding Jesus was all about compassion and forgiveness and helping the poor and curing the sick," D'Antuono said. "The teachings of Christ -- they seem to go against the Republican line when it comes to immigration or gay marriage and entitlements. All of that stuff."

I never read where Jesus commented on illegal immigration (fixed that one for him), or gay marriage, or entitlements from the government (had to fix that one too). I did read where his Dad (if you are a Christian) said that for one man to lie down with another was an abomination.

It's not that Republicans are against helping the poor, it's just that they are against the government forcing people to help the poor. They believe in doing that themselves, on a voluntary basis. I can't think of the word right now... oh wait, I got it, it's called freedom of choice. I mean it is their money after all.

• Like 1

I wouldnt call it controversial (The P-iss Christ was controversial) but it is clear what the artist intended and that makes it art. But does it reflect the Christian Conservative or the Liberal view of the Christian Conservative? The article is filled with confusion. I would pose, what causes more harm? Becoming dependent on a fisherman or learning to fish on your own?

Edited by RavenHawk

They just want to insure no lunatics or criminals have guns while fairly taxing the rich.

That seems to be the rationale behind universal background checks and closing loopholes in the tax code.

We already have laws preventing lunatics and convicted felons from legally buying a gun. Except, of course, that your medical records are confidential, so kinda hard to insure the buyers is sane.

What is your defination of fair? Is it that those that worked hard any got ahead in life should subsidize those that didn't. Hardly seems fair to me.

What you call "loopholes" are legal deductions.

There are other threads to fully discuss those issues in depth, let us not derail this one, we have all given our minor opinions on these other matters and while we can disagree there is no reason to focus on them here.

As far as the art, it does seem to be a bit of editorialization, and perhaps parody. So it is art, just not fine art.

I'm sure some will hate it and some will love it but it does make you think. I don't think it will cause mass riots.

That's the joy of "art as commentary" it requires a third part - the mind of the viewer - to become fully realised. It's brilliant in that aspect. You have to think about it and in the end have to think about your own views when confronted with an alternative view.

Is it Liberal? Is it Conservative? It's up to you to decide and your decision will be based on you're political stance.

FWIW it looks more to me like he was taking away the gun.

• Like 2

It is art...it is meant to speak to the individual viewer.

jesus_zps043ca73a.jpeg

I look at that painting and I see Christ saying "I am taking these things away from you" (money and guns)..."You cannot be trusted with them anymore"

Just my opinion...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 2

I do know it's not something that would ever be on my wall.

• Like 3

I think it's based on some seriously biased personal opinion, given that study after study shows that the people who donate the most money, time, and supplies to charities and those in need are conservatives and Christians while Leftists use the needy for their political appeal, but don't actually bother to help, always being more interested in getting into the pocketbooks of others.

Edited by IamsSon
  • Like 1

I like the way Wearer of Hats and Jeremiah approached this.

It does seem like that to me now that you two have mentioned it.

And is that a croquet mallet in the hand of the guy genuflecting?

One of the clouds also looks like a UFO...

...this is U-M after all.

• Like 1

I also see a rainbow colored arm band.

Homosexual agenda alert!!!

OK, OK, I'll stop messing around.

Sorry on my phone, so difficult to edit, one more, in honor of the pot of gold and I promise to stop looking at that photo.

It is a work of art and should be treated as such.

Alright, I think it looks like a poorly done paint by numbers with bad lighting for dramatic effect and the "poor" begger seems to be wearing a nice white bed sheet.

• Like 1

Not sure why, but the man painted as Jesus reminds me of Alan Rickman :S lol

• Like 3

to quote Hans Gruber (one of Rickmans finest!)

"Now, I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho."

• Like 1

"If a man strikes you on the cheek CUT OUT HIS HEART WITH A SPOON!" Jesus Rickman in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

• Like 1

''Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans! No more merciful beheadings! And cancel Christmas!''

• Like 1

Anyone who isn't dead or from another plane of existence would do well to cover their ears right about now.