Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun Violence Down in U.S.

ThickasaBrick

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/07/18108298-gun-violence-in-us-has-fallen-dramatically-over-past-20-years-justice-dept-report-finds?lite

The media has created a culture of fear surrounding guns, when in fact there are less gun related crimes than in the past.

• Like 4

The reason being .............. there isn't any ammunition to be bought.According to my brother in law, the government is buying available ammo!! (find this hard to believe myself but I dont have a gun)

• Like 1

Violent crime of all sorts has declined by nearly half since the early nineties. It's the inner-cities and places with the strictest gun control laws that negatively skew the statistics for the rest if the country. The highest crime places would show up blue on a electoral map. Perhaps the dems shoud be chastising their own base before reprimanding and punishing the rest of the country.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 5

Violent crime of all sorts has declined by nearly half since the early nineties. It's the inner-cities and places with the strictest gun control laws that negatively skew the statistics for the rest if the country. The highest crime places would show up blue on a electoral map. Perhaps the dems shoud be chastising their own base before reprimanding and punishing the rest of the country.

Also, alot of these inner city crimes are by gangs! Who obtain their guns illegally. Why doesn't the government do something about gang violence?

• Like 3

Also, alot of these inner city crimes are by gangs! Who obtain their guns illegally. Why doesn't the government do something about gang violence?

I think dealing with gangs is about like dealing with Al Qaeda, get rid of one and another one takes its place.
  • Like 1

Probably because state penitentiary budgets would have to decline if gang violence dissipated. Any time a budget is cut simply because it's not needed tax revenue should decrease and if people knew that prisons weren't quite as full as they once were either they, the people, will ask for a tax cut or the taxmen would have to come up with a reason that they still need that revenue. It's just easier for the taxmen to avoid bs'n US than for them to actually put the best interests of citizens first.

• Like 1

Some dems were against more gun laws and voted against it. I'm a dem and didn't want it. The inner cities are full of gangs and they just didn't pop up as soon as a democrat became mayor they have been there for decades. I agree something needs to be done about them but what. They arrest them all the time.
  • Like 1

Good schools, good jobs (not minimum wage), stable homes, and transportation (think trains not cars necessarily) will decrease gang violence and even terrorism.

Parents have to also be involved in their children's education and lives overall.

That means some can't be working double shifts.

With terrorism there is a problem with access to brides.

All these play a part. There is no single dose solution. It must be a multi-tiered approach.

My city is doing its best to change things with signs of improvement.

While it would be nice and create change faster to have the average citizen understand all this it is more important our policy makers begin to come around first. They are here, even finding local solutions to fund our schools when the state government is defunding them. Of course the national trend is downward on violent crimes so that helps with the gang problem. Property crimes are on the rise, as we might expext during and after a recession.

Love my city, waiting for my state to turn blue.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

Some dems were against more gun laws and voted against it. I'm a dem and didn't want it. The inner cities are full of gangs and they just didn't pop up as soon as a democrat became mayor they have been there for decades. I agree something needs to be done about them but what. They arrest them all the time.

A prison in Death Valley with no A/C for gangs. Mandatory one year for known gang membership. Get caught recruiting or associating about gang activity while inside is another year in the slammer for each offense. That'd deter recruitment and gang business being conducted from within. After being released back to the streets, a second gang affiliation offense is 30 years plus the rules above. None of this includes violent crime charges. Merely being a gangster is worthy of a trip to Death Valley and unless they're Bear Grillis they aren't escaping alive. Too harsh? If you say yes then that's why gangs are unstoppable. We don't need capital punishment, just hard core punishment.

• Like 1

Good schools, good jobs (not minimum wage), stable homes, and transportation (think trains not cars necessarily) will decrease gang violence and even terrorism.

Parents have to also be involved in their children's education and lives overall.

That means some can't be working double shifts.

With terrorism there is a problem with access to brides.

All these play a part. There is no single dose solution. It must be a multi-tiered approach.

My city is doing its best to change things with signs of improvement.

While it would be nice and create change faster to have the average citizen understand all this it is more important our policy makers begin to come around first. They are here, even finding local solutions to fund our schools when the state government is defunding them. Of course the national trend is downward on violent crimes so that helps with the gang problem. Property crimes are on the rise, as we might expext during and after a recession.

Love my city, waiting for my state to turn blue.

That would all work too but that won't happen in our lifetime.

Progress is not about speed but direction.

Thanks anyways for at least hearing me out, could not ask for more.

I also think you're solution Mr. F3SS would rob many fathers from already problematic neighborhoods creating a new tide, no, a cascade, of problems.

Who would profit? Private prisons.

Also it would disproportionately affect neighborhoods that could (might) be proven to have a lack of all the things I mentioned because of past policies which disproportionately neglected these very areas...

Progress is not about speed but direction.

Thanks anyways for at least hearing me out, could not ask for more.

I hear you on a lot of things. You want many of the right things but I don't always agree how to achieve those things let alone agree that they can even happen. As for inner-cities, outward is the only direction see them going here. That's the wrong direction and reverse speed.

• Like 1

I also think you're solution Mr. F3SS would rob many fathers from already problematic neighborhoods creating a new tide, no, a cascade, of problems.

Who would profit? Private prisons.

Also it would disproportionately affect neighborhoods that could (might) be proven to have a lack of all the things I mentioned because of past policies which disproportionately negleted these very areas...

You might be right. I don't know. That was a rough draft. Didn't think it all through.

• Like 1

when in fact there are less gun related crimes than in the past.

because there are fewer gun owners with more guns

Source?

The reason being .............. there isn't any ammunition to be bought.According to my brother in law, the government is buying available ammo!! (find this hard to believe myself but I dont have a gun)

This is a relatively new tactic by our gov't. The DHS has purchased 1,000 more rounds of ammunition per person than the army. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04/26/reps-challenge-dhs-ammo-buys-say-agency-using-1000-more-rounds-per-person-than/ Fox news but others agencies will back this up.

I am not sure where you are going with this statement. Please clarify.

The fact is criminals with guns, illegally, and the gov't are the ones to be afraid of. Law-abiding firearm owners are not the problem. The media has pushed gun violence down our throats at every opportunity. There is an agenda by our gov't to take guns out of citizens hands, in direct opposition to our constitution. The time for a revolution is nearing, which is supported by our constitution. Americans, the time has come to tell our gov't, "No more!"

• Like 2

so you are admitting that people who own more guns are responsible gun owners?

Then surely you should be pro-gun.

• Like 2