Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anti-Gun Narrative Destroyed by Justice Dept.

CRYSiiSx2

"Between 1993 and 2011, nonfatal gun crimes plummeted 69%; from 1.5 million to 467,300. Gun-related murders dropped 40%; from 18,253 to 11,101. Gun-related murders for black Americans plummeted by 51%."

Source: http://www.breitbart...ntrol-Narrative

Below is the original from the U.S. Justice Department themselves.

http://bjs.gov/conte.../pdf/fv9311.pdf

Edited by CRYSiiSx2

Someone just made the same thread and here's what I said there.

Violent crime of all sorts has declined by nearly half since the early nineties. It's the inner-cities and places with the strictest gun control laws that negatively skew the statistics for the rest if the country. The highest crime places would show up blue on a electoral map. Perhaps the dems shoud be chastising their own base before reprimanding and punishing the rest of the country.

• Like 2

Violent crime of all sorts has declined by nearly half since the early nineties. It's the inner-cities and places with the strictest gun control laws that negatively skew the statistics for the rest if the country. The highest crime places would show up blue on a electoral map. Perhaps the dems shoud be chastising their own base before reprimanding and punishing the rest of the country.

I (we) have been saying this for awhile...

Edited by Dan'O
  • Like 1

The public outcry over firearms is not about gun crime in general but mass shootings.

Trying to convince the public not to be concerned will take a bit more than what you have presented.

Also, most who have been keeping tabs already know violent crime is down with property crimes on the rise. At least that is the portrait of my region according to FBI statistics the last time we checked, a year ago or so.

Ah sorry about that. But yeah, Chicago has the strictest gun control and still the highest murder rate in the country for 2013, looks like gun control is working right?

• Like 3

That has also been discussed.

Gun control is weak outside of Chicago and unless the whole region there is on the same page there will be those bringing in guns or simply going one or two counties over to make their purchases there.

That has also been discussed.

Gun control is weak outside of Chicago and unless the whole region there is on the same page there will be those bringing in guns or simply going one or two counties over to make their purchases there.

I'd like to see a stat stating how many of those guns used to murder were bought legally. I'm sure most weren't, so the universal background check wouldn't do a thing.

• Like 2

Ah sorry about that. But yeah, Chicago has the strictest gun control and still the highest murder rate in the country for 2013, looks like gun control is working right?

No apology necessary. Just pointed it out so I didn't look like one of those trolls that post the same thing in multiple threads.

• Like 1

In Chicago, nationwide, or mass shootings? Which stat exactly would you like to see?

I might help you find it.

If mass shootings, where the public concern lies, Mother Jones has compiled an excellent data table and it does reveal most mass shooters had legally purchased weapons. Meaning that mass shooters did not obtain the weapons they used illegally but purchased them themselves or had access to them that broke no laws.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!

In Chicago, nationwide, or mass shootings? Which stat exactly would you like to see?

I might help you find it.

If mass shootings, where the public concern lies, Mother Jones has compiled an excellent data table and it does reveal most mass shooters had legally purchased weapons.

Most mass shootings as of late have been done by psycho kids who have irresponsible gun owners for parents. So, technically, they aren't legally purchased by the shooter.

• Like 1

Most mass shootings as of late have been done by psycho kids who have irresponsible gun owners for parents. So, technically, they aren't legally purchased by the shooter.

Yep. Adam Lanza's mother purchased the weapons. Connecticut has some pretty strict gun laws, too, so she had to go through some pretty tough background checks and paperwork. I'd like someone to explain to me how MORE background checks would have prevented Newtown....

• Like 1

Yep. Adam Lanza's mother purchased the weapons. Connecticut has some pretty strict gun laws, too, so she had to go through some pretty tough background checks and paperwork. I'd like someone to explain to me how MORE background checks would have prevented Newtown....

Exactly. When I was a kid my dad's, brother's, and my guns were all fitted with trigger locks, and locked in a gun cabinet. Had we managed to break into his gun safe, there was no way we were getting those trigger locks off. But then again that also goes with parenting, we would dare try to get into the guns unless our dad was getting them out and we were going out with him. I would have had my ass whooped and grounded forever...

• Like 3

Exactly. When I was a kid my dad's, brother's, and my guns were all fitted with trigger locks, and locked in a gun cabinet. Had we managed to break into his gun safe, there was no way we were getting those trigger locks off. But then again that also goes with parenting, we would dare try to get into the guns unless our dad was getting them out and we were going out with him. I would have had my ass whooped and grounded forever...

Oh the violence you were raised around how did you ever become a productive member of society?

just wait pretty soon the dems will ask us since violent crimes have dropped off to justify owning guns for protection.

"Violent crime at all time low, second ammendment deemed useless!"

• Like 1

Gun reforms will be screens providing additional security, they are not panaceas.

Lanza's mother bought the weapons and taught her son how to use them.

She also saw signs of mental illness, unsure if she recognized them, nothing I have seen proves she saught help or removed those weapons from her home due to his conditions.

Awareness of mental illness and minimizing or completely removing access to weapons when suffering a mental health condition is wise.

Adam was bullied horribly according to his mother's e-mails.

We need a multi-layered approach to the mass shooting crisis.

Simply saying it is not a crisis is not going to change public sentiment.

Simply denying public sentiment will not help.

One state who felt betrayed by their legislators vote on the issue of gun control is turning to the referendum. We might still see change their that because the people want change.

If the people don't then nothing will happen, I have a feeling things will change.

Universal background checks won't be perfect but one layer.

The NRA does support the manufacturers.

Everytime a mass shooting occurs gun sales go up.

Everytime gun control is debated, gun sales go up.

Everytime the NRA says a war is coming against our government, it is also likely gun sales go up.

No war is coming, but it seems like a tactic for gun sales to go up. If true then those buying them and feeling paranoid are being played.

But of all this is simply wrong then no worries, nothing will change, and the war against our government will happen, we will lose, you guys will win, and somehow America will be better, right?

For whoever can look within and recognize they are not calm but fearful do realize that fear will hinder critical thinking on this matter.

Good evening.

I also consisder Lanza and his mother as victims but sadly they are never counted.

Adam was bullied there at Sandy Hook. His mom would ask what happened and he would rock silently not responding.

His mom even followed him to school to try and find out who was bullying him.

She was upset once that schools would spend money on keeping in a kid who stabbed another in some program but would not spend money on an aide for her son.

When people who are victimized think about it their minds regress to that age they were. They are unable to critically think. No wonder he went there, the kids who bullied him long gone, but that was the place his it happened with kids around that age and teachers who did not help stop the bullying.

A perfect storm of issues conspired this event. It revealed weak spots in our society.

Guns are one issue but we have so many more.

Well, that is about it from me, take care. Til next time

Because gun ownership is dropping to the crazy gun nuts who have 49 guns.

• Like 2

Gun reforms will be screens providing additional security, they are not panaceas.

Lanza's mother bought the weapons and taught her son how to use them.

She also saw signs of mental illness, unsure if she recognized them, nothing I have seen proves she saught help or removed those weapons from her home due to his conditions.

Awareness of mental illness and minimizing or completely removing access to weapons when suffering a mental health condition is wise.

Adam was bullied horribly according to his mother's e-mails.

We need a multi-layered approach to the mass shooting crisis.

Simply saying it is not a crisis is not going to change public sentiment.

Simply denying public sentiment will not help.

One state who felt betrayed by their legislators vote on the issue of gun control is turning to the referendum. We might still see change their that because the people want change.

If the people don't then nothing will happen, I have a feeling things will change.

Universal background checks won't be perfect but one layer.

The NRA does support the manufacturers.

Everytime a mass shooting occurs gun sales go up.

Everytime gun control is debated, gun sales go up.

Everytime the NRA says a war is coming against our government, it is also likely gun sales go up.

No war is coming, but it seems like a tactic for gun sales to go up. If true then those buying them and feeling paranoid are being played.

But of all this is simply wrong then no worries, nothing will change, and the war against our government will happen, we will lose, you guys will win, and somehow America will be better, right?

For whoever can look within and recognize they are not calm but fearful do realize that fear will hinder critical thinking on this matter.

Good evening.

Adam Lanza's mom did not keep her firearms locked up but in a closet apparently,so what will be more effective ?

Background checks or responsible gun ownership.

2nd option in my opinion.

• Like 1

I don't get this post...

But gun ownership is increasing, and not in stockpiles.

• Like 1

I beg to differ. We know a person that has a gun shop, complete with a shooting range and shooting classes to register for a carry permit. He has had record sales in the last few months and has gone from three classes a week to six, with a waiting list...most of them women. People in his business, all over the US, are seeing the same reactions in their regions.

I'm not sure what CNN or the rest of the media is reporting, but if that is what you are hearing it's not the case in a lot of areas.

• Like 1

I don't get this post...

But gun ownership is increasing, and not in stockpiles.

don't let the facts get in the way

blog_gun_ownership.jpg

• Like 1

I beg to differ. We know a person that has a gun shop, complete with a shooting range and shooting classes to register for a carry permit. He has had record sales in the last few months and has gone from three classes a week to six, with a waiting list...most of them women. People in his business, all over the US, are seeing the same reactions in their regions.

that doesn't negate my proposition. Gun shops are having record sales to people who already own guns.

• Like 1

that doesn't negate my proposition. Gun shops are having record sales to people who already own guns.

It sort of does negate it when people who have never owned a gun suddenly feel the need to buy one and take a class on how to use it. People who have 49 guns don't generally take classes on how to use them.

• Like 2

Adam Lanza's mom did not keep her firearms locked up but in a closet apparently,so what will be more effective ?

Background checks or responsible gun ownership.

2nd option in my opinion.

I'd argue that the second option is included under the umbrella of gun control. The recent defeat of all the gun control measures in Congress suggests that the government has done enough, now the responsibility of gun control falls upon individuals.

It's time to look elsewhere for the causes of mass shootings.

• Like 2

Prove it. Show where the guns sales are going only to those that already have guns, and not new buyers.

eta: Three of my Lodge Borthers just recently (like the past month) got their LTC-As (ccw for MA), and have become new firearms owners. Several more have taken the mandatory safety course and are awaiting an appointment to get their LTC-A. Just a small example I have that there are new firearms owners, and soon to be newbies.

Edited by MstrMsn
  • Like 3

I'd argue that the second option is included under the umbrella of gun control. The recent defeat of all the gun control measures in Congress suggests that the government has done enough, now the responsibility of gun control falls upon individuals.

It's time to look elsewhere for the causes of mass shootings.

You'd like to think that, but, it would be foolish. Why? Because the government cannot regulate human behavior, no matter how hard they try (also, they don't want people to be responsible, otherwise they'd be forced to give up their nanny state).

I would like to see the outliers, not just the actual cuases (cause: shooter was bullied and then snapped - outlier: teachers, parents and others saw it, yet did nothing or made it worse).

• Like 2