Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do you calculate a dog's true age?

Still Waters

It's often said that the age of dogs can be better understood by multiplying their age, in human years, by seven. But is that really true?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-22458083

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• Still Waters

• wimfloppp

• shrooma

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say you calculated a dog's age by remembering the date you bought it, and then adding a year every year on that date.

after all, they're not moving at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light are they, so time dilation's not a factor?

shorter lifespans don't equate to aging faster, or we'd all be asking how old we are in giant tortoise years.....

;-)

This part covers it nicely:

If you factor in the varying rates of ageing in early part of a dog's life and the differing life expectancies a more accurate estimate across all breeds would be six dogs years to one human year.

However if you look at opposing ends of the spectrum a Bulldog will age an average of 13 years per human year whereas for a Miniature Dachshund it's just over four years.

From my experience this is spot on.

i'd say you calculated a dog's age by remembering the date you bought it, and then adding a year every year on that date.

;-)

I like this idea count them the same way we count ours.

Unless you know the dogs birth date as you would for an AKC pup in which case he or she would get a white cake cupcake every year on that date. ( home made no frosting. ) and as mentioned it depends on the breed They say ( and I don't know if it is true) that mutts live longer in general that pure breeds.

I wonder how old I am in giant tortoise years? ;-)