Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange disappearances in national parks

Sheep Smart

Recently a book titled missing 411 (which ive yet to read) written by David Paullides an ex cop and retired park ranger who has dealt first hand with thousands of missing persons cases.

Odd, Unexplained Disappearances Haunt Our Nation's National Parks1 September, 2012

Labor Day is almost here, a holiday when millions of people will be heading out to our forests and National Parks for an annual, end of summer get-away in the beautiful outdoors.Some of them may never be coming back.

Fear is an unpleasant emotion that most of us do our best to avoid, yet from the dawn of time mankind has been irresistably drawn to telling horror stories around the campfire.Some of the earliest known stories were designed to scare us--but not just of anything-it is believed that our ancient ancestors greatest fear was that they might be eaten by some carnivorous beast.

It turns out that there's ample fossile evidence to back this up, suggesting that early hominids were regularly preyed on by large carnivores.

http://www.messageto...hp#.UY7Px0qfgdU

These are not my words , this was taken from a site based on this book. Again I have yet to read the book but the synopsis above paints the picture of what I am acknowledging here.

My question is, since I live in the suburbs of nyc, im not familiar with these areas, are these common occurances that really do ge swept under the carpet so not to alarm people from vacationing, tourist dollars, etc?

Edited by Still Waters
Added source link and shortened amount of copied text
  • Like 4

I guess i do not really need to buy the book now, this says quite a lot.

Did it mention the authors name? oh, yes, all over the place!

Interesting though.

• Like 1

Ive heard the book is ingenious. its sold out in most stores around manhattan and those who carry it ask a steep price.

in any case ive seen the author in an interview regarding some of the cases he presents. he does go into great detail in every one so he sais. AND aside from some bigfoot legends, makes clear on facts vs. assumptions.

i have a craving for strange and bizarre vanishings/disappearances.

• Like 1

I was just reading about this book, it's quite chilling that the parks don't keep a track of missing persons.

• Like 2

I think its more like they want noone to know about them.

Remember that scene in Jaws where the mayor continually insisted that no sharks were the blame of half eaten torsos washing up on shores.

• Like 2

Wow. Sounds like a good book according to Amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.co...rds=missing 411

Wish it was available in Kindle format!

Sounds interesting...

Wonder if half price books has it...

Edited by Kowalski
  • Like 1

OK, so some serial killers have used national parks as abduction points or "disposing" areas.

Has happened a number of times.

Not sure what the point of your post is, though, as conventional murder is never "swept under the carpet"

• Like 1

OK, so some serial killers have used national parks as abduction points or "disposing" areas.

Has happened a number of times.

Not sure what the point of your post is, though, as conventional murder is never "swept under the carpet"

My point is nothing. I asked a question in reference. Its hidden somewhere above apparently quite well.

I can understand why people do end up missing in national parks. Take the Rocky Mountains for instance there are so many places that you can go that are dangerous. Step on the wrong rock and over a cliff you can go. In mountainous areas it is also easy to get lost if you venture off the beaten path.

I'm not saying there is or isn't a Bigfoot, its yet to be proved but even without a Bigfoot there are animals in these areas that can kill you and have you for dinner.

I did find the story interesting but I don't think they are trying to cover up disappearances.

• Like 3

You make a good example.

The cases he highlights are ones a bit more bizarre though. In some cases kids walk around bends just feet from their parents and once the parents walk around they simply arent anywhere to be found. In areas where visibility is clear of anything within 50 feet. Theres been cases liike this reported all the time and continue.

• Like 1

You make a good example.

The cases he highlights are ones a bit more bizarre though. In some cases kids walk around bends just feet from their parents and once the parents walk around they simply arent anywhere to be found. In areas where visibility is clear of anything within 50 feet. Theres been cases liike this reported all the time and continue.

I can`t see how or why these events would or could be swept under the carpet.

If children go missing, even the parents would make sure it does not get swept.

It's about the people who are still missing after the usual falling in a crevice , getting killed by serial killers or random strangers and all that has been accounted for. But there are still unexplained missing people, alot apparently and in some very bizarre circumstances. Credible witnesses, diligent investigator, naked toddlers found miles from anywhere and at impossible distances., clothes layed out on the ground like people just evaporated out of them . So gotta get it before it's trashed and debunked , l adore books like this and will recount the stories from it around the camp fire to terrify the kids.

• Like 3

I can`t see how or why these events would or could be swept under the carpet.

If children go missing, even the parents would make sure it does not get swept.

In regards to say tourism, or authority, noone wants the public to assume that authority does not have things under control. When people say how did my child go missing in an assumingly safe place and furthermore how does autority NOT know what happened or can find their child, ..in respect, why are there more questions that answers.

• Like 1

Is it the responsibility of the national parks to keep track of missing persons or the FBI?

And what exactly is it about this book that makes it so expensive? It's insane.

Edited by Kasey2601
  • Like 1

Give it time it will be on the discount rack. Then I can afford to get a copy.

I have traveled deep into many wilderness areas mostly alone. There is an evil spirit deep in the remote places of the world. It's name is stupidity. I'm not shocked at all that people go missing. I have seen some pretty stupid things that people do. Most of the time they manage but for every idiotic thing I have seen there probably is 1000 that i did not. I can probably list 15 things off the top of my head that can go wrong and no one will ever hear from the person again.

This dosnt mean the wilderness is all that dangerous. In fact you are in more risk driving there than being there. Just don't forget about the dunning-Kruger effect.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dunn+kruger+effect&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#itp=open0

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 4

Sounds a lot like an ongoing advertisment in this thread.

So close to the major holiday too.

I suppose it is an age old scenario going back to leaving a trail of breadcrumbs to not get lost.

A good topic that doesn't require the need for a hard sale or heavy price tag imo.

• Like 1

Cost to cost am did a story on this,there are a lot more people vanishing that they claim its a cover up.

.. it should come as now surprise that more people 'disappear' out in the boonies than close to home? .. add in the factor that people , alone , in the woods are easier targets for predators , of ALL sorts ?

Sounds a lot like an ongoing advertisment in this thread.

So close to the major holiday too.

I suppose it is an age old scenario going back to leaving a trail of breadcrumbs to not get lost.

A good topic that doesn't require the need for a hard sale or heavy price tag imo.

if you go on holiday there you can take a book with you......now what books are there about this area...hmmm!

.. it should come as now surprise that more people 'disappear' out in the boonies than close to home? .. add in the factor that people , alone , in the woods are easier targets for predators , of ALL sorts ?

Unless you are in Certain parts of Africa there really is not even very many preditors that will mess with people. In north American it's really just bears and cougars. Very far north wolves Mabey. Attacks are extremely rare. In California for example, despite it's image of coastal cities like LA or San Francisco, has sprawling wilderness areas and has only suffered 56 fatalities from bears since the 1920s despite haveing 10s of thousands of visitors to the parks and an over population of bears. These attacks are almost always in defense of young, on a wondering toddler, or someone being stupid. ( a nineteen year old girl painted herself in peanut butter for her boyfriend and a bear got her instead while she waited in his tent to surprise him). Cougar attacks are more rare than dog attacks. Unless you are in grizzly country the only dangerous animal you have to worry about in the woods is man.

Edited by Seeker79

Sometimes I have gone to parks by myself and felt uncomfortable around some shady characters. I do my best to keep my distance from these people.

When I went during the work week (Monday - Friday) there was hardly another soul there. Plenty of peace and quiet, and yet eerie at times, too.

It's best to be vigilant and carry some kind of legal protection.

• Like 2

Yea its rare that im craving a fresh book, sucks that its so costly. Add me to that discount list hilander.

Unless you are in Certain parts of Africa there really is not even very many preditors that will mess with people. In north American it's really just bears and cougars. Very far north wolves Mabey. Attacks are extremely rare. In California for example, despite it's image of coastal cities like LA or San Francisco, has sprawling wilderness areas and has only suffered 56 fatalities from bears since the 1920s despite haveing 10s of thousands of visitors to the parks and an over population of bears. These attacks are almost always in defense of young, on a wondering toddler, or someone being stupid. ( a nineteen year old girl painted herself in peanut butter for her boyfriend and a bear got her instead while she waited in his tent to surprise him). Cougar attacks are more rare than dog attacks. Unless you are in grizzly country the only dangerous animal you have to worry about in the woods is man.

Yup, I was thinking more of human predators taking advantage of isolated people... but ya,, good point animal attacks are VERY rare. Snake bite and accidents probably account for some ''mysterious'' disappearances?

I'm usually not too worried about animals when camping.. i worry more about people showing up... they are unpredictable critters!

• Like 1

Funny when I google the general topic, all I seem to get is this book or people talking about this book.

It doesn't really appear to be something that folks are talking about.

I think it would be really interesting to take all of his occurrences and research them to find out if they really happened.

• Like 1