Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pickaxe Rampage In Italy

Ashotep

An illegal immigrant went on a rampage, killed one person and injured four others. Now a debate is going on about what to do about illegal immigrants

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57584050/deadly-pickaxe-rampage-ends-in-arrest-in-italy/

Illegal immigrants do cause some problems.

I am not sure we can generalise that it is illegal immigrants that are the cause of violence and assaults. These happen regardless of origin. The fact that he is in the country illegally is merely the key to resolving the issue, convict him, have him do his time and then kick him out but don't tar all illegal immigrants as the cause of one mans madness.

As to the actual problem (which is separate) of illegal immigration:

Illegal immigration by it's very nature of "not being legal" is also a good reason to kick someone out - no visa should equal no licence to be there and therefore no material means or evidence with which to argue against deportation.

The reality versus the above is that deportation for many illegal immigrants is also likely to result in the death of the immigrant if they are returned to their own country, either through environment (aka: famine, poverty) or political injustice. Most countries illegal immigrants escape to adhere to laws that don't allow them to be complicit in the death of another which could have been avoided by rendering assistance instead aka: they are forced to allow them to stay on humanitarian grounds. I don't think we can avoid that and be a civilized society, all people do have a right to food, shelter and clothing if those things are available to be provided.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 5

I wonder if anyone has asked Amanda Knox about her opinion on this story.

I wonder if anyone has asked Amanda Knox about her opinion on this story.

Why?

• Like 1

I am not sure we can generalise that it is illegal immigrants that are the cause of violence and assaults. These happen regardless of origin. The fact that he is in the country illegally is merely the key to resolving the issue, convict him, have him do his time and then kick him out but don't tar all illegal immigrants as the cause of one mans madness.

As to the actual problem (which is separate) of illegal immigration:

Illegal immigration by it's very nature of "not being legal" is also a good reason to kick someone out - no visa should equal no licence to be there and therefore no material means or evidence with which to argue against deportation.

The reality versus the above is that deportation for many illegal immigrants is also likely to result in the death of the immigrant if they are returned to their own country, either through environment (aka: famine, poverty) or political injustice. Most countries illegal immigrants escape to adhere to laws that don't allow them to be complicit in the death of another which could have been avoided by rendering assistance instead aka: they are forced to allow them to stay on humanitarian grounds. I don't think we can avoid that and be a civilized society, all people do have a right to food, shelter and clothing if those things are available to be provided.

I think you are mistaking Asylum Seekers (relatively few in numbers) who play the "Homeland Persecution" card, with Illegal, Economic Immigrants (relatively high numbers) who want to share in the wealth of developed nations without contributing a penny to it in taxes and / or, have no historical context in which their antecedents fought for the Rights and standard of living enjoyed as a reult.

• Like 1

I wonder how he got into italy in the irst place and how he got pick axe?

An illegal immigrant went on a rampage, killed one person and injured four others. Now a debate is going on about what to do about illegal immigrants

http://www.cbsnews.c...rrest-in-italy/

Illegal immigrants do cause some problems.

Well the obvious answer would be to have an aircraft on permanent standby to fly them back to their country of origin as soon as they are discovered. But I think i'm right in saying that there is some EU rule somewhere that forbids this.