Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists develop 'superwheat'

Still Waters

British scientists say they have developed a new type of wheat which could increase productivity by 30%.

The Cambridge-based National Institute of Agricultural Botany has combined an ancient ancestor of wheat with a modern variety to produce a new strain.

In early trials, the resulting crop seemed bigger and stronger than the current modern wheat varieties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22498274

• Like 4

Not a GMO, cross pollination, might not be bad, maybe it will be a hearty plant.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 2

Not a GMO, cross pollination, might not be bad, maybe it will be a hearty plant.

I agree, the more natural the better.

• Like 1

Good, something British! how about we eat this and stop importing GM foods from abroad?

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

Good, something British! how about we eat this and stop importing GM foods from abroad?

Sounds good but we can't possiblily do that! it would be good for our health and our econemy!

• Like 1

Sounds good but we can't possiblily do that! it would be good for our health and our econemy!

you are right, our government can`t be having that now! They got 'friends' in other parts of the world to answer to first.

• Like 1

Nice that this is British and not GM but more wheat?

I am trying to dodge the stuff myself...

"The scientists used cross-pollination and seed embryo transfer technology to transfer some of the resilience of the ancient ancestor of wheat into modern British varieties."

How is this not genetic manupulation?

We have enough farm land in the world now to drown everyone in wheat. It just isn't farmed to keep the prices up. There probably isn't enough people who want to farm either.

"The scientists used cross-pollination and seed embryo transfer technology to transfer some of the resilience of the ancient ancestor of wheat into modern British varieties."

How is this not genetic manupulation?

We have enough farm land in the world now to drown everyone in wheat. It just isn't farmed to keep the prices up. There probably isn't enough people who want to farm either.

I may be mistaken about this, but seed embryo transfer technology is somatic embryogenesis, or cloning cells. They are cross pollinating and then cloning the resulting plants. Making synthetic seeds. Not really tinkering on genetic level, just splitting apart a cross pollinated plant to grow a bunch of new plants from. Again, I may be mistaken about that, if I am I'm sure someone here can correct me.

Cloning plants from cuttings is an ages old practice. I've done it with mint, sage, roses... Potatoes are clones, splitting bulbs like tulips are natures cloning process. Doing it on the cell level like with the wheat is only a few decades old I think. Way more complicated than my gardening skills, hehe.

Back to the thread in general and not necessarily directly addressing your quote paperdyer..

I think it's neat that they are using an old "bloodline" to strengthen a new "bloodline". I don't know if it will turn out to be a superwheat though. It will take a few growing seasons to test and see how it turns out. Pretty exciting :)

does this mean we can look forward to a drop in the price of weetabix then....?

• Like 1

i prefer natural and organic all the way i ain't eating their crap.artificial crap and unhealthy who knows what they put in there that they don't tell us

does this mean we can look forward to a drop in the price of weetabix then....?

Lol, no just even more ridiculous claims about how good for you it is, and then a rise in price....

• Like 1

*edited for double post*

stoopid bleedin' server!

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

Lol, no just even more ridiculous claims about how good for you it is, and then a rise in price....

they're getting smaller too.., the last box I bought (36's) was thinner than a snake's fart!

they should re-name 'em 'weetapebbles!'

• Like 1

i would highly suggest people and humanity as a whole to think highly about this.i don't recommend anything created in labs because they will not tell us everything the truth,what's in their,what chemicals they inserted and etc.plus its not natural in the first place either.it does not come from nature herself.i heard on this alternative radio called coast to coast am that they are trying to poison humanity on purpose with non-organic food and etc.believe or not its your choice.i am simply just warning you people.

its not natural in the first place either.it does not come from nature herself.

wheat itself isn't natural. it's the product of the cross-hybridisation of several types of grasses 8-10,000 years ago, nothing to do with mother nature whatsoever.

• Like 1

i heard on this alternative radio called coast to coast am that they are trying to poison humanity on purpose with non-organic food and etc.believe or not its your choice.i am simply just warning you people.

you REALLY shouldn't believe everything you hear you know.

ESPECIALLY rubbish like that.

what possible reason can you think of that would make a company purposfully poison and therefore eliminate their own customer base?

it makes no sense whatsoever, least of all economically!

• Like 1

I look forward to super wheat beer. Get on it, Belgians!

• Like 2