Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UN urges people to eat insects

Still Waters

Well I am about to stick my two fingers up to the UN and people who tell me how to live my life.

I am booked in a my favourite steak and seafood restaurant tonight and intend to enjoy my non-insect meal.

Whats the betting that after they discussed this they all went for a very expense meal in a top hotel?

Edited by skookum
  • Like 4

" Hakuna Matata " ?

Hopefully the "Lion King" returns soon and the UN will be out of business.

If we can compare the health of a village inhabited by only vegans with a village inhabited by only meat eaters, and the results show that the vegan villagers are healthier than the meat-eating villagers, than it is probable that the vegan diet proves to be better than the meat diet.

About that B12.... do you know what you're friend is eating when you're not around?? And I'm not even thinking of hamburgers....

Spirulina is not considered to be a reliable source of Vitamin B12. Spirulina supplements contain predominantly pseudovitamin B12, which is biologically inactive in humans. Companies which grow and market spirulina have claimed it to be a significant source of B12 on the basis of alternative, unpublished assays, although their claims are not accepted by independent scientific organizations. The American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada in their position paper on vegetarian diets state that spirulina cannot be counted on as a reliable source of active vitamin B12. The medical literature similarly advises that spirulina is unsuitable as a source of B12.

http://en.wikipedia....ary_supplement)

SPIRULINA bevat een zeer hoog gehalte aan vitamine B12, echter slechts ongeveer 35% van de in SPIRULINA aanwezige vitamine B12 wordt door door mensen opgenomen. Vegetariers dienen dus rekening te houden met het feit dat SPIRULINA weliswaar vitamine B12 bevat, echter niet voldoende om de dagelijkse hoeveelheid B12 binnen te krijgen.

http://www.chalix.co...en-vegetariers/

B-12 in spirulina and other plant foods

Microbial assays for B-12 are unreliable. A common misconception in vegan circles is that fermented foods and spirulina contain B-12. This claim may, at times, be supported by lab tests for B-12 based on the USP (U.S. Pharmacopeia) assay methods.

Unfortunately, as explained in Herbert et al. [1984] and Herbert [1988], the USP assay method for B-12 is unreliable. The assay measures total corrinoids--that is, true B-12 plus analogues (forms of B-12 that are not metabolically active in the body)--and the analogues have the potential to block the absorption of true B-12 by occupying B-12 receptor sites. A preferred, reliable test that can differentiate between true B-12 and corrinoids is provided by differential radioassay. The assay problem must be considered in evaluating "old" studies on B-12.

Spirulina and tempeh contain mostly analogues of B-12. Herbert [1988] reports that tests on tempeh, a fermented soy product, and spirulina revealed that they contained almost no true B-12, i.e., the "B-12" they contained (per USP assay test) was predominantly analogues. Herbert [1988, p. 857] reports:

We suspect that people taking spirulina as a source of vitamin B-12 may get vitamin B-12 deficiency quicker because the analogues in the product block human mammalian cell metabolism in culture [i.e., in the lab] and we suspect that they will also do this in the living human.

The presence of analogues, rather than true B-12, in fermented foods makes them unreliable sources for B-12.

=

Is biologically active B-12 produced by intestinal bacteria?

Claims of intestinal B-12 production may be based on insufficient evidence.

=

Direct coprophagy: a reliable (vegan?) B-12 source :wacko:

Any takers? Further, the daily output of ~5 mcg versus the RDA/RDI of 1-2 mcg suggests that a direct coprophagy level (i.e., reingestion of feces) of 20-40% of output will meet requirements for B-12. Might this qualify as the only truly reliable, vegan (?) source of B-12? Will coprophagy be the next fad among certain fruitarian extremists? (Obligatory warning: coprophagy, and the handling of feces, is unsafe and increases the risk of transmission of parasites and diseases. Coprophagy is not recommended.)

http://www.beyondveg...p-anat-7c.shtml

I know damn fine he never touches meat, i know a few people who don't and none of them have B12 deficiency.

Spirulina does work, EVERY single paper/test showing it doesn't can be traced back to Pharmaceutical industry or Meat industry. Both companies who make money from people thinking that.

The fact is what they miss to point out in both those cases is the fact humans do not get B12 from eating B12. lol They get b12 from it being made in their lower intestine by eating the right nutrients/acids etc which create it. Most people like yourself clearly don't understand that fact.

Edited by Coffey

I know damn fine he never touches meat, i know a few people who don't and none of them have B12 deficiency.

Spirulina does work, EVERY single paper/test showing it doesn't can be traced back to Pharmaceutical industry or Meat industry. Both companies who make money from people thinking that.

The fact is what they miss to point out in both those cases is the fact humans do not get B12 from eating B12. lol They get b12 from it being made in their lower intestine by eating the right nutrients/acids etc which create it. Most people like yourself clearly don't understand that fact.

I understand it perfectly, but you didn't click that last link in my post:

And read on.

Do you mind if I ask you how old your friend is?

I thought this thread was about eating bugs and not vegetarian vs carnivore...

Anyway, the thought of eating bugs is not appealing to me just as eating a cow's tongue isn't but some people do, it's what you are used to I suppose. Me, I'll stick with my meat, veggies and tators.....

• Like 1

I thought this thread was about eating bugs and not vegetarian vs carnivore...

Anyway, the thought of eating bugs is not appealing to me just as eating a cow's tongue isn't but some people do, it's what you are used to I suppose. Me, I'll stick with my meat, veggies and tators.....

OK, bugs and....vitamin B12:

The primate connection

shim.gif

B-12 also an essential nutrient for non-human primates. From Hamilton and Busse [1978, p. 763]:

Many captive primate species enter into hypovitaminosis B-12 [deficiency] when maintained on vegetarian diets (Hauser and Beard 1969, Oxnard 1964, 1966, 1967, Siddons 1974, Siddons and Jacob 1975)...

Vitamin B-12 is the least readily available vitamin to omnivorous primates...

Deficiency diseases have not been identified for any wild primate population (Kerr 1972, Wolf 1972).

The fact that wild primates avoid B-12 deficiency suggests that their natural diet provides adequate B-12. Inasmuch as all primates eat insects, and some insects contain B-12 (see Wakayama [1984]), this suggests insects as a possible B-12 source for some primates, along with production by fermentation bacteria as a possible source for folivorous primates (e.g., gorillas, whose consumption of insects is very small when compared to their intake of plant foods).

et al.

http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/comp-anat/comp-anat-7a.shtml

There are some problems. First you still have grow food to feed to the insects. Second I understand their best eaten live. Third how many grasshoppers make a serving. /

First thing I'm not eating insects. There are plenty of meat around me if i cant get the usual animal flesh. :innocent:

Since there are a lot of vegetarians speaking out I figure a meatatarian (??? not sure what were called) should post something.

Me I only eat meat. Not that vegetables taste gross but I have to eat meat. I can not get full off vegetables I will literally have the urge to bite someone if I eat a meal with very little meat. Only time ill eat a vegetable is when eating out but even then its mostly just some grains or fruit. But the majority of my diet is meat, and most the time its under cooked. Yes you can eat raw meat, its safe and you get more nutrients but and the big but on why we don't eat raw meat is because our meat isn't fresh. Its like eating week old sushi..... cook it.

And about the whole spiritual evolution and eating plants... I'm calling bs. Everyone knows all the good rituals involve animal sacrifices not a potato and if you remember the bible that God favors animal deaths over vegetables. So if the spirit world prefers burning or draining an animal carcass then eating meat is the path to spiritual evolution. After all our world is becoming more materialistic not spiritual and vegetable and soon insect eating is rising..... In other words Pushing the consumption of plants and insects is a Illuminati plot to de-evolve man spiritually :whistle:

I think this thread is about lack of meat..not who eats what

• Like 1

I think this thread is about lack of meat..not who eats what

That topic was derailed awhile ago to vegetarians/vegans are healthier and more spiritual/evolved

I understand it perfectly, but you didn't click that last link in my post:

And read on.

Do you mind if I ask you how old your friend is?

He is 57, he was very close friends with my Step dad who would also be 58 if he was still alive. My step dad died from a heart attack caused by high blood pressure. He ate a lot of meat. This guy is like an uncle more than a friend. He runs marathons and mountain biking (xc) etc. He is very very healthy.

He is 57, he was very close friends with my Step dad who would also be 58 if he was still alive. My step dad died from a heart attack caused by high blood pressure. He ate a lot of meat. This guy is like an uncle more than a friend. He runs marathons and mountain biking (xc) etc. He is very very healthy.

OK, thanks Coffey. Well, I will be 56 in July, so he and I are almost of the same age.

Maybe there is still hope for me: I really don't eat a lot of meat (in fact it's mostly fish, eggs, cheese and occasionally meatloaf and chicken), like I said before. My only problems are nicotine and ethanol...

If your friend is as healthy as you say he is (marathons,mountain biking) I congratulate him. And I am still able to outrun guys of 35 when we are in a hurry, lol.

My father died when he was 66 (36 years ago), my mother died 6 weeks ago at the age of 91. I can only hope I inherited some of her genes, because I think that having healthy genes is an important factor in all this.

Personally I don't believe a (raw) vegan diet is good for everyone, but apparently there are those who thrive on it.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 2

OK, thanks Coffey. Well, I will be 56 in July, so he and I are almost of the same age.

Maybe there is still hope for me: I really don't eat a lot of meat (in fact it's mostly fish, eggs, cheese and occasionally meatloaf and chicken), like I said before. My only problems are nicotine and ethanol...

If your friend is as healthy as you say he is (marathons,mountain biking) I congratulate him. And I am still able to outrun guys of 35 when we are in a hurry, lol.

My father died when he was 66 (36 years ago), my mother died 6 weeks ago at the age of 91. I can only hope I inherited some of her genes, because I think that having healthy genes is an important factor in all this.

Personally I don't believe a (raw) vegan diet is good for everyone, but apparently there are those who thrive on it.

Well I'm not saying eating meat is unhealthy, I'm just saying you can be healthy without it. I never tell people what to eat either, everyone has a right to make their own choices.

I've never smoked, luckily I tried it and never liked it. lol As for Alcohol, well I'm Scottish was brought up on the stuff. LOL Saying that, I have bad kidneys now and try to be more sensible nowadays with it. (only 28) That was another reaosn I went all strict with my diet.

He is definitely healthier than me, but I messed around with alcohol and other substances when I was younger which hasn't helped. That's another reason I am very self conscious about chemicals in food.

Genes can be weird though, like you could have 2 unhealthy parents but have 2 very healthy grand parents, giving you healthy genes. Often things can come out in some generations and not others. Sorry to hear about you Mother though, my condolences.

Well some people could be different with it. It depends on your health before starting it, it can be a very hard hitting experience going raw vegan and it's made more difficult by big corporate companies making all the bad food cheap and all the organic fresh fruit and veg expensive. I struggle financially with it. I will be growing my own things to help that when I move house.

• Like 1

I've had a few bugs, crickets, meal worms, grasshoppers. Surprisingly enough they never really taste like anything once cooked. They tend to be flavoured like whatever you flavor them with. I think using bugs as a food alternative would be a great idea if people would open their minds abit and just give them a try.

• Like 1

I would say it is the running not the eating that is helping him be healthy.

Well I am about to stick my two fingers up to the UN and people who tell me how to live my life.

Whats the betting that after they discussed this they all went for a very expense meal in a top hotel?

Touché !

• Like 1

Or don't eat meat full stop. LOL

I'm sure vegetables, nuts and fruit don't disgust people as much as insects.

http://michaelblueja...nvironment.html

Farming meat is really bad for the environment etc. Especially on the scale we do in the western world. It also leads to inhumane treatment of animals. The Meat industrial complex doesn't care about the treatment of the animals, they care about figures. Another reason they have been proven to lie and show false evidence of how you need meat in your diet etc.

If people want to eat meat that is their choice I won't tell people what to eat, people are free to choose what they eat. But nobody can say you need it to be healthy cause that has been proven false by thousands of people.

Sorry, dude but most people were not cut out for a diet of tofu and bee spit. Enjoy your greens.

There are some problems. First you still have grow food to feed to the insects. Second I understand their best eaten live. Third how many grasshoppers make a serving. /

I saw a study a few years ago and I don’t remember its name but it said that for every 10kg of feed we only get 1kg of beef, or 3kg of pork, or 5kg of chicken, but for 10kg of feed we get 9kg of locus. It is more cost effective to feed locus then other types of protein.

They don’t have to be eaten alive. They can be cooked in many different ways.

Gram for gram grasshoppers and other insects have more protein then red meat, so we would need less then the average serving size then red meat with is 6oz-8oz..

Assuming you're not a vegetarian...difference between an insect and a chicken? Both living things.

The taste and texture. I've had insect once, and I was not impressed.

i saw it on tv it was beyond disgusting

instead of taking money from people who own millions and throw away their food half eaten

they encourage people to eat insects ? .. jeez

Sorry, dude but most people were not cut out for a diet of tofu and bee spit. Enjoy your greens.

Well that's a very narrow minded view of it. i enjoy loads of wonderful fruit. But if you are eating nay processed food or un organic/free range meat... You enjoy your cancer chemicals and I'll eat my natural food that nature provides.

I would say it is the running not the eating that is helping him be healthy.

He hasn't always been running marathons, he started doing that 7 years ago to donate to the British heart foundation after my step dad died. (had a heart attack)

He has been vegan all his life.

direct from the "UN", folks..

..i hope people are putting all this together

Well that's a very narrow minded view of it. i enjoy loads of wonderful fruit. But if you are eating nay processed food or un organic/free range meat... You enjoy your cancer chemicals and I'll eat my natural food that nature provides.

If eating meat is so damn unhealthy, then how do you explain that most people do it without health issues?

My dad was born with a heart disease that makes him more prone to suffering heart attacks, and yet has never had one despite being a meat eater for all of his life. He's still alive and in his late 60s.

Edited by Der

If eating meat is so damn unhealthy, then how do you explain that most people do it without health issues?

My dad was born with a heart disease that makes him more prone to suffering heart attacks, and yet has never had one despite being a meat eater for all of his life. He's still alive and in his late 60s.

I never said eating meat is unhealthy. (eating too much is though) I was making the point that you can be healthy without eating meat.

Also eating meat from industrial farming is definitely unhealthy as it's filled with chemicals that cause all sorts of health problems, just like industrial crop farms.

• Like 2

I never said eating meat is unhealthy. (eating too much is though) I was making the point that you can be healthy without eating meat.

Also eating meat from industrial farming is definitely unhealthy as it's filled with chemicals that cause all sorts of health problems, just like industrial crop farms.

i don't care what science says ... you eat much meat you get great strong body

protein is life !

however i noticed lot of vegeterians have weaker bodies who often get sick much

must be lack of meat !

not insect meat though bleech